Author Topic: amal mk1 tuning issues  (Read 834 times)

mistakes

• leanXburn
  • Scooter
  • countdown to sprag death
on: April 10, 2022, 09:20:01 am
hello all,

thanks for the help on my previous post. now that my exhaust is all sorted, it’s time to ride and of course that’s not going as well as planned either.

i have the amal mk1 kit from hitchcock’s and it idles really well, but it doesn’t want to take any throttle unless i’ve got the air mixture set very rich (about 1 out or less) and the needle in the richest position as well.

i’d seen a post about someone with the same carb kit mentioning they had to get a richer throttle cutaway, is that where i’m at? i’ve been operating under the assumption that all of the jetting etc should be correct, but i’ve seemed to have exhausted all other options. has anyone had the same issue/experience?

any help would be appreciated, thanks!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2022, 10:04:04 am by mistakes »
1 of 3 non-Korean Enfield owners in Korea

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #1 on: April 10, 2022, 02:58:09 pm
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

mistakes

• leanXburn
  • Scooter
Reply #2 on: April 10, 2022, 03:26:34 pm
lately i’ve seen that more often than my girlfriend

allanfox

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: April 14, 2022, 04:42:09 pm
If your needle is in the richest position you may be choking it and it won't take any throttle, the moving the clip up to the top of the needle to see what happens.  Mine was exactly the same and turned out to be way too rich, moving the needle now gives me a good mixture at about 2.5 turns out on the screw.

mistakes

• leanXburn
  • Scooter
Reply #4 on: May 18, 2022, 04:28:32 am
wanted to provide an update just incase anybody else has a similar problem in the future and finds this thread.

my slide cutaway was not the problem, there was a problem with my fuel line and possibly a blockage somewhere, so the carb was not consistently getting fuel, which was why it would idle fine but inconsistently take throttle. sorted out now and running well. Had my hiccups with the Amal at first, but now it seems great !

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #5 on: May 18, 2022, 04:49:16 am
Good you caught the fuel delivery issue. 'Cause honestly, with ALL the half-assed Amal Concentric setups I've nursed along, I've never had such issues. I understand they're supposed  to be finicky, but I guess I've just been lucky.
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #6 on: May 18, 2022, 02:24:24 pm
Good work. If it's not the Amal Premier version of the Mk1, consider treating it to a hard anodized or brass slide to slow down wear. The old set-up of zinc slides in zinc carb bodies would wear very quickly.

https://surreycycles.com/carburettors/mk-i-600-mk-1-900-concentric/

A.

Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...