Author Topic: 450cc Off Road variant?  (Read 2776 times)

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
on: April 01, 2022, 10:36:51 pm
This article suggests that a version of the Himalayan, with more ground clearance, more displacement and quite a few more horsepower, is already in development.

https://www.visordown.com/news/new-bikes/more-road-focused-royal-enfield-himalayan-450-rally-%E2%80%98-its-way%E2%80%99

I've learned to take internet media with more than a few grains of salt.   Expecting a 66% gain in horsepower from a 9.5% gain in displacement, seems quite optimistic.

oldphart

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: April 02, 2022, 12:05:42 am
Expecting a 66% gain in horsepower from a 9.5% gain in displacement, seems quite optimistic.

Watercooled. Short stroke. It'll just be another Jap bike but made in India, not the rugged allrounder we have now, which isn't a bad thing, it's a genuine option to the Himalayan.
Grandpa Slow

2021 Classic 500

zefnerd

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: April 02, 2022, 09:14:27 am
This article suggests that a version of the Himalayan, with more ground clearance, more displacement and quite a few more horsepower, is already in development.

https://www.visordown.com/news/new-bikes/more-road-focused-royal-enfield-himalayan-450-rally-%E2%80%98-its-way%E2%80%99

I've learned to take internet media with more than a few grains of salt.   Expecting a 66% gain in horsepower from a 9.5% gain in displacement, seems quite optimistic.

Well, someone could be pulling a big prank to make some money from the attention, but they would had to of put in a lot of work on the test mule picture for a new Himalayan 450. It's only one photo, but interestingly that test mule photo looks exactly like the digital render that people thought looked strange or unfamiliar and was panned as an obvious fake, which it still could be. The tank, the instrument tower, USD front shocks, the mud/air deflectors for them, the seat shape though it is split, the details on the engine casting, the tank guard lines, and even the triangle which lines up with the trellis frame members on the digital photo are kinda looking dead on.
 As far as the power, they said it will be a single which should keep it in the character of a thumpers and make power similar to KTM's 390 adventure with 40'ish HP. Perhaps it will have an oversquare stoke so they can fit 4 valves needed to let the motor breath, but still nice sized single for chugging around.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #3 on: April 09, 2022, 04:55:40 am
Vapourware. They would need to start with a clean sheet for a very limited sales machine. Not RE's style at all. KTM and Husqvarna already have this segment of pricy, fussy-to-maintain performance street legal trail bikes well covered. Only some Chinese effort might pop up here, certainly not one from RE.
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: April 10, 2022, 09:11:48 pm
Apr 8, 2022 / WORLD EXCLUSIVE! Dakar-Spec Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 RAID Incoming | Details Revealed | BikeWale
Here's another World Exclusive from BikeWale. This time, we are revealing some juicy details about the Dakar-spec Royal Enfield Himalayan 450. And it will be christened Himalayan 450 Raid. The Dakar-spec model will feature premium hardware and a more powerful engine. But that's not it, there's more to the 450 platform than we already know. Watch the video to find more details.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQELrtVsS_0&t=105s

At 3:17 into the film there is a still photo of "something" that doesn't look like photoshop...? At least it wasn't released 01 April...  :o
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: April 14, 2022, 03:39:43 pm
??...Maybe real...??

https://www.rushlane.com/2023-royal-enfield-himalayan-450cc-spied-testing-for-first-time-12431044.html
2023 Royal Enfield Himalayan 450cc Spied Testing For First Time SATYA SINGH MARCH 27, 2022
As part of its long-term strategy, Royal Enfield is working to launch an average of one new/updated product every quarter. One of these is Royal Enfield Himalayan 450, which has just been spied. It is expected to be available for sale in first quarter of 2023. Although the basic silhouette looks familiar to Himalayan 411, Himalayan 450 utilizes an entirely new platform. Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 styling and features Codenamed K1, Himalayan 450 comes across as a premium Adv bike. It can emerge as a viable alternative to the likes of KTM 390 Adventure, BMW G310GS and other similar Adv bikes. The core Himalayan DNA is retained, as evident with features such as round headlamp and rear-view mirrors, raised front fender and matching frame construction. Use of spoke wheels, shod with knobby tubeless tyres is another feature that’s common to both bikes. Himalayan 450 is likely to use 21-inch front and 17-inch rear wheel, the same setup as that of current Himalayan. Just like Himalayan 411, users can expect relaxed riding ergonomics with Himalayan 450. It’s made possible with features such as centrally placed footpegs, thick saddle and pulled-back, wide handlebar. Upswept exhaust in metallic finish is another similar looking feature.

zefnerd

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: April 23, 2022, 12:19:09 am
Well, that same bike has been spotted again. You might need to slow it down a bit to get a good look, but it sounds good and like a big single.
https://youtu.be/3_ArLB-cFeU

VikingOverlander

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: May 01, 2022, 07:32:29 am
I think its the chinese copy of the himalayan .. and NOT one that royal enfield makes
Why should they suddently make liquid cooled engine ? and if so.. i wouldnt buy the first or the second gen of it :-)
And i think the price for it would be to high ( well here in Denmark anyway) so an alternativ brand would be better in the same price range

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
  • From the New Hampshire part of New Jersey
Reply #8 on: May 02, 2022, 07:58:20 pm
Sadly, water cooling will be the only way to meet ever tougher emissions requirements as well as satisfying the rest of the market that won't buy a Himi since it is so underpowered....by their standards anyway. Even Moto Guzzi is coming out with their first water cooled bike, the V100 Mandello. I LIKE air cooled bikes but I also like petrol powered bikes and water cooling is going to be the only way to extend the availability of the ICE engines we prefer. Thankfully, I am old enough that I will not ever need to own an electric bike, at least here in the USA.
9fingers
Currently own:

2016 Classic Chrome Maroon
2020 Moto Guzzi V7III Special
V Strom 650 ABS Adventure
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 250 TMI custom frame
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: May 02, 2022, 09:20:42 pm
Sadly, water cooling will be the only way to meet ever tougher emissions requirements as well as satisfying the rest of the market that won't buy a Himi since it is so underpowered....by their standards anyway. Even Moto Guzzi is coming out with their first water cooled bike, the V100 Mandello. I LIKE air cooled bikes but I also like petrol powered bikes and water cooling is going to be the only way to extend the availability of the ICE engines we prefer. Thankfully, I am old enough that I will not ever need to own an electric bike, at least here in the USA.
9fingers

We're on the same page here, I like that my off-road bike is water-cooled, I've been stuck in some tight spots where an air-cooled bike would have melted itself, but if I have my druthers I prefer air cooling or more correctly these days air/oil cooling. As far as electrics go, I think I'd stop riding if that were all that was available to me.

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
  • From the New Hampshire part of New Jersey
Reply #10 on: May 10, 2022, 09:21:47 pm
We're on the same page here, I like that my off-road bike is water-cooled, I've been stuck in some tight spots where an air-cooled bike would have melted itself, but if I have my druthers I prefer air cooling or more correctly these days air/oil cooling. As far as electrics go, I think I'd stop riding if that were all that was available to me.

Agree with all that. My Beta 270 trials bike is water cooled.......and 154lbs! But my old Honda trials bikes are air cooled and that is as it should be for 70s and 80s trials bikes.
9fingers
Currently own:

2016 Classic Chrome Maroon
2020 Moto Guzzi V7III Special
V Strom 650 ABS Adventure
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 250 TMI custom frame
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

Crabsapper

• Bulleteer
  • So many experts......
Reply #11 on: May 11, 2022, 11:07:33 am
RE are still developing new air cooled engines. The new J platform for instance.

The 650 twin is just at the start of its development cycle.

There's other ways of meeting emissions targets, as long as you're not chasing max hp. It's one reason why bike engines have been getting larger on capacity, reducing specific power output.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: May 11, 2022, 01:57:30 pm
RE are still developing new air cooled engines. The new J platform for instance.

The 650 twin is just at the start of its development cycle.

There's other ways of meeting emissions targets, as long as you're not chasing max hp. It's one reason why bike engines have been getting larger on capacity, reducing specific power output.

But why do fuel tanks keep getting smaller?  ???
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: May 11, 2022, 06:44:38 pm
Maybe to match the endurance capacity of E-bikes? Sort of a "patterning" marketing strategy?

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #14 on: May 11, 2022, 09:50:12 pm
But why do fuel tanks keep getting smaller?  ???
I think that small tanks, and low solo seats are chasing the "bobber" styling trend.

I always liked the fact that I could fill my RE's tank with a $10 bill and get some folding money back.  Now, I can't even do that with my VLX Honda's tiny 2.1 gallon peanut tank.  Pretty soon, I'll have to start riding my 150cc scooter to get the same satisfaction.  (1.2 gallons)