Author Topic: CB350 H'ness in USA?  (Read 3348 times)

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: October 04, 2021, 10:18:00 pm
Why would it need a kickstart?  ???
I gave up kicking bikes the same time as 2 stroke oil  :o

But I think you will admit that kicking over a 2-stroke engine is a lot easier than kicking over a 4-stroke single.  ;)  I don't believe that electric starters were very popular on 2-stroke motorcycles, although my first full-size motorcycle, a 1963 Yamaha YD3, had an electric starter mounted on the end of the crankshaft that doubled as the bike's generator. I thought that was pretty creative at the time.  :)
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #16 on: October 05, 2021, 12:21:32 am
Why would it need a kickstart?  ???
There's a few things I like about a kick starter vs. electric only.

1)  If the battery has gone south, I can start the bike with the kickstarter, even my EFI-equipped RE C5 started using the kicker, with one cell dead.
2)  Lots less to go wrong.  9 of 10 things that go wrong with starters are electrical issues.
3)  Pretty hard to damage your engine kicking it over, if it hydro-locks.  This shouldn't be an issue, but it is, because modern moto designers prioritize safety over reliability.   This has led to components like a vacuum actuated petcock that will leak the tank's contents through a ruptured petcock diaphram, directly into the intake manifold.  The first warning some of my Honda brothers got, after pushing the start button, was bang!, but by then it was too late.   The automatic petcocks and electric starters make us lazy, we neglect the manual petcock, and BANG!.
4)  Pushing the bike out of the gangway, and kicking it to life are the only exercise I get some days.  The kicking and the subsequent roaring to life are very satisfying, much more so than the pushing, or pushing the button.

I don't mention the weight savings, because I'm not the kind of guy who removes his electric starter.  I'm the kind of guy who ignores his electric starter.

I'd prefer to buy a Yamaha SR400 or early model SR500 with the wire wheels, or a Kawa W650.  These are bikes that will gain in value over the years that I ride them, no matter how much I kick them.

If I was you, I'd hold onto that RE a few years longer, and put it on the market in the spring of a year a few in the future.  You'll likely be able to put an extra $1000 or two in your pocket.  Prices on RE singles have already climbed noticeably, in my opinion, at least here in the USA.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #17 on: October 05, 2021, 11:02:20 am
With a dodgy battery, a kickstart saves looking for a hill to park on when you stop for food/fuel... ;D

Here's a great place to try that technique:
http://www.whoanelliedeli.com/
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: October 05, 2021, 11:12:26 am
A definite maybe...?

https://www.hondaprokevin.com/new-2022-honda-cb350-rs-motorcycle-usa-release-date
Another new motorcycle was just announced from Honda, the CB350 RS! (side note, this isn’t what I was hinting about on  yesterday) Don’t get too excited yet though as this isn’t a new 2022 motorcycle announcement for the USA yet with the CB350RS. This model was just announced by Honda in India. Do you remember the  (pictured directly below) that we talked about last year that was announced for India? If not, . Fast forward to a few weeks ago and we had an update on the CB350 that I talked about , where Honda of Japan decided to pick up that model from India and is calling it the GB350.

NEW HONDA GB350 and GB350 S :: Specifications and Price [Honda H'ness CB350] ; Aug 4, 2021
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjnvhQ6XH-Y

https://livingwithgravity.com/honda-introduces-three-new-shades-in-their-gb350-mode/
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Nitrowing

• Grease Monkey
Reply #19 on: October 05, 2021, 12:51:39 pm
I'd take one of those Hondas... except I can't see them being delivered to my doorstep in 14 days as the Benelli can. I had a 250RS many moons ago and really liked it.
Kicking as a backup for battery issues... just buy a bloody battery  ::)
Weight savings... bin the kickstart and fit a lithium battery. Fiberglass mudguards, alloy handlebars, chuck the centre stand.

I would like to keep the ElectraX as it looks great but, short of removing the internal combustion timebomb and putting something decent in, I can't generate enough confidence in it to even commute to work (38 miles each way).

A W650, I'd swap in a heartbeat! Unfortunately, I can't offset it against tax as it's not 'brand new'  :(
No wonder we no longer have a motor industry

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #20 on: October 05, 2021, 03:33:10 pm
Kicking as a backup for battery issues... just buy a bloody battery  ::)
I will do exactly that, as soon as I get home I'll go online and get one sent out on it's way to me.   Except I'm 15 miles from home, it's a Sunday night, 10:30 in the evening, and after spending a long weekend together, I think my girlfriend seems rather tired of having me around.

Of course with the E-start bike, I can call a cab, I can call a moto-rescue service van, I can call a motorcycle shop and make an appointment.  I can even call into work sick all week, while I wait for the replacement battery to arrive.  (All month if I asked the shop to do the work in the middle of riding season).

Or, with the kicker bike, I can kickstart and be home in 1/2 an hour.

Nitrowing

• Grease Monkey
Reply #21 on: October 06, 2021, 03:48:17 pm
I've never had a battery 'just die' - they've all shown signs that they were on the way out.
I also bought a lithium battery booster a few years back that spins an engine over much faster than a ye olde lead acid. So much so that I only buy lithium batteries for my vehicles.
Maybe I should take my indicators off and wave my hand to show my manoeuvring intentions  ???
No wonder we no longer have a motor industry

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: October 06, 2021, 10:37:42 pm
I've never had a battery 'just die' - they've all shown signs that they were on the way out.
I also bought a lithium battery booster a few years back that spins an engine over much faster than a ye olde lead acid. So much so that I only buy lithium batteries for my vehicles.
Maybe I should take my indicators off and wave my hand to show my manoeuvring intentions  ???

I have had two German-manufactured BMW-brand Exide AGM batteries die without warning and they must have had an internal short as a jump start would not keep the engine running once the starter cables were removed from the battery. Both were the original batteries installed at the BMW factory. One lasted 23 months and the other only 6 months. The batteries were replaced by BMW at no charge after my bikes, both of which were still under warranty, were towed into the dealer.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: October 06, 2021, 11:15:57 pm
Over my 50 years of driving I've had several lead-acid car batteries actually explode in use, which is rather exciting, but never a bike battery as of yet. Most of my lead-acids seem to give a hinky start a day or two before just going dormant. There's a lot that has to happen exactly right inside even a regular old fashioned lead-acid battery, and it really doesn't take too much to stop 12 volts. I rather like Nitrowings Li-Ion approach; less weight, more starting amps, maybe more vibration resistant too. If they last 2-4 years they are doing at least as well as the lead-acid herd. The greater initial cost to be isn't really a major concern in the land of $80 - $250 tires that run maybe 2K - 10K miles and $200 chain/sprocket sets that go maybe 8K - 20K between replacement. Motorcycling is a mostly recreational activity. Most of us would cringe if our mini-vans $60 Costco auto tires went bald at 10K miles or spark plugs demanded replacement every 5K.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: October 06, 2021, 11:54:27 pm
I have now switched to LiFePo4 batteries in all of my motorcycles except for my KTM based upon my experience with their ability to spin the starter quickly and because they have been very reliable so far - along with their small size and low weight, which is a plus. Of course the initial cost is pretty steep and their amp hour capacities are limited, but since I always recharge my batteries after I return from a ride, I have never had a problem. I might add that my RE's alternator seems to do a pretty good job of keeping its 8-year old lithium battery charged while riding.

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #25 on: August 11, 2022, 05:40:41 am
I finally figured out what AzCal is talking about when he mentions the Honda GB350, which is that this designation is the Japan only name for the Honda of India (HMSI) CB350 H'Ness.

I stumbled across an article from early 2022 wherein their Sales Director discussed HMSI's eagerness to market the model internationally.  https://auto.economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/two-wheelers/motorcycles/exploring-possibility-of-exporting-hness-cb350-to-various-global-markets-hmsi/81255480

He basically said, at that time, it was up to the corporate guys at Japan HQ.

I also came across a claim (in AdventureRider forum)  that either a H'Ness or a GB350  was present at last years Progressive IMS show in Costa Mesa, CA.  It wasn't being officially shown, but it was said to have been seen riding in company with Honda publicity group rides.  Maybe they were doing a little undercover market testing, but it seems nobody took a picture so this USA appearance is just hearsay.

For those who are motivated to try to influence Honda's decision, apparently there is a petition:  https://www.change.org/p/honda-motor-company-bring-the-2021-honda-cb350-h-ness-to-north-america