Author Topic: Plastic nob at fuel pump broken- Bullet 500 EFI (2017) : Replacement?  (Read 5641 times)

fleckj

• Neophyte
Dear Bullet Owners!

I'm a new owner of a Bullet 500 EFI (2017) and try to fix a problem with the fuel pump.

The little white nob broke of the fuel pump. (see pictures).

Is there a way to get just the plastic around the fuel pump. Buying the whole fuel pump with the plastic is very costly (ca. 400 euro!)
I'm hoping to avoid buying a complete new fuel pump because "only" a white plastic bit is broken off.

I'm located in Vienna, Austria...

Many thanks for your help

Johannes

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Servus! Sorry to hear of your troubles. It may be little comfort to learn that you are not the first to have this problem, but perhaps you can find some guidance in this old thread titled, "Fuel Pump - How I fixed the broken off Nozzle"  to save you a few Euros or Schilling or Groschen or whatever: https://forum.classicmotorworks.com/index.php?topic=16619.0;all

Please be VERY careful! Spraying fuel onto a hot engine just under your crotch while riding along sounds like it could very quickly become unpleasant, or as you German-speaking types might say, "Waiter, I would like to become a well-cooked beefsteak."
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 02:52:47 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Bilgemaster you beat me to it.

fleckj, scroll down to reply #16 for a very elegant repair from Arizoni!
If you're handy with tools his suggestion will save you a lot of Euros.
And unless the 2017 has a different o-ring than my 2012 there should be no need to replace the o-ring for the pump assembly. It should be a rather robust hunk of torus, and cleaned up should service you well again and again and again.

Unless you're stuck using ethanol-adulterated fuel.
In that case it's advisable to get a new o-ring!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 02:55:48 pm by heloego »
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

Freddy1

• Bulleteer
 The fuel pump of the Bullet euro 4 is the same as the Himalayan and is different from the pump of the euro 3. In Italy some (too many) have cracked, so far no one has been able to repair it, it has always been necessary to replace it. Part code 587377/a, costs a lot but less than 400 euros.

fleckj

• Neophyte
Wow ! Thanks for all the help!

Im not sure I'm skilled enough and have the tools to fix this.

The idea is great though with the littel pipe on the inside!

The thought of becoming a well done beef steak from a burning engine between my legs does put the fear into me though... :-)

heloego

• Grand Gearhead
Or even HAVING a well-done beefsteak.  ;)
'12 C5 Classic

Saxe

• Scooter
Hello,
i had the same problem in June this year and i fixed it with a new Nozzle. In the pdf you can see how i made this.

Greetings...

heloego

• Grand Gearhead
SWEET!!!!!!!!  8)
'12 C5 Classic

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Saxe: Well done/gut gemacht!

(Haste dich 'nen Karmapunkt wohl verdient)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 07:16:11 am by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Teddy87

• Scooter
Hi Saxe! I saw a post you wrote in Aug 2020 about a fuel pump problem on the RE Classic 500 euro 4. I have the same problem, the noozle recently broke and I wanted to know if your fix is still holding up. Also, I can't find a metallic noozle with a small thread (yours was 5mm if I remember correctly), do you think there's enough space to drill a 1cm threaded hole in the pump? Best regards.

Hello,
i had the same problem in June this year and i fixed it with a new Nozzle. In the pdf you can see how i made this.

Greetings...

Saxe

• Scooter
Hello Teddy,
the fix is still alive and works fine - no problems - no leakage. A 1 cm hole is to large, imho is 6mm the maximum, and yes, you remember right, i used a 5mm  Nozzle.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/290615029469

or you know someone with a lathe....

Best regards

« Last Edit: June 10, 2022, 04:21:42 pm by Saxe »

Carl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
I think that would be a difficult repair may last, must be bad plastic formula, correct me if l am wrong but did that particular part used to be made of alloy, l think the safest way to remove that would be to warm it slightly with a heat gun that’s the way l used to remove bayonet radiator fittings to avoid them not cracking. The problem is it becomes brittle and breaks with age.

Boxerman

• Grease Monkey
  • Lancashire UK
correct me if l am wrong but did that particular part used to be made of alloy,
The base of my pump [2008] is alloy but the hose attachment is plastic. I expect it screws in but I haven't tried to remove it.

Frank

Carl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Well when l removed tank on 2020 version mine was plastic with a push tang quick connector both parts were plastic as l recall.

Carl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
I just checked it again the whole assembly is a white plastic and hose fitting, on older models it was metal mine is 2020, the less l have to take that tank off the better you can see it won’t take much to break.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2022, 05:40:00 pm by Carl Fenn »