Author Topic: JOTD  (Read 387760 times)

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #1650 on: August 10, 2022, 11:08:31 pm
Some more good stuff
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1651 on: August 11, 2022, 02:37:07 am
lol - political propaganda disguised as humour.

From an outside perspective the US political system looks a bit like Tweedledee and Tweedledum from Lewis Carroll.

Two almost identical political parties (both overtly right wing by world standards, the Republicans a touch more so than the Democrats who are more Centre Right) exaggerating their differences and blowing everything out of proportion for the sake of making some sort of point.

From a non-US point of view, the fact that two very similar major political parties contrive to generate so much hatred over what are actually very minor political differences and refuse to co-operate, ever, over anything, does not augur well for the future of the US.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #1652 on: August 11, 2022, 02:47:24 am
@ # 1651: Well spoke.
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Karl Childers

• Ghost in the machine.
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #1653 on: August 11, 2022, 03:06:47 am
lol - political propaganda disguised as humour.

From an outside perspective the US political system looks a bit like Tweedledee and Tweedledum from Lewis Carroll.

Two almost identical political parties (both overtly right wing by world standards, the Republicans a touch more so than the Democrats who are more Centre Right) exaggerating their differences and blowing everything out of proportion for the sake of making some sort of point.

From a non-US point of view, the fact that two very similar major political parties contrive to generate so much hatred over what are actually very minor political differences and refuse to co-operate, ever, over anything, does not augur well for the future of the US.

This will be my only comment in the joke section from this point on as it better suited to other campfire threads. I agree, we don't have a liberal party to speak of as the green party never gained much momentum and is now gone. The Dems. are now what would have passed for the republican party back in the sixties. Each party caters to corporate interests, the right to a higher degree than the left, which is more centrist  to be true left. The problem is the republican party keeps drifting farther to the right and the next time they hold full sway we will see the beginning of  an unprecedented Christo- Fascist state in the US. There are still a few voices of reason on the right like Liz Cheney but Trumpism has gained a firm hold on the party. I am also of the opinion that the US is already an oligarchy run by the wealthy one percent and corporate interests. Depending on how you vote you either get oligarchy light or the full blown version. It's been some years now since I have voted in an election that I did not feel that I was voting for the lesser of two evils.. From my view in the trenches I do see a difference in the two parties and I'm still pissed at the Dems for throwing Bernie Sanders under the bus during the primaries, had he made it to the Whitehouse we would have a true progressive government at the moment instead of Uncle Joe's watered down version.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #1654 on: August 11, 2022, 06:09:58 am
Cheney/Kinzinger 2024 - Pulling their Party kicking & screaming back from the brink! If not these two, then just buy a supply of brown shirts now and beat the rush.
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1655 on: August 11, 2022, 02:11:53 pm
Let's bring back the Whig Party.  That is something that the U.S. hasn't tried for a while. ;D
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Karl Childers

• Ghost in the machine.
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #1656 on: August 11, 2022, 02:51:12 pm
Let's bring back the Whig Party.  That is something that the U.S. hasn't tried for a while. ;D

Or a wig party, I'm up for that.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #1657 on: August 11, 2022, 03:29:12 pm
This will be my only comment in the joke section from this point on as it better suited to other campfire threads. I agree, we don't have a liberal party to speak of as the green party never gained much momentum and is now gone. The Dems. are now what would have passed for the republican party back in the sixties. Each party caters to corporate interests, the right to a higher degree than the left, which is more centrist  to be true left. The problem is the republican party keeps drifting farther to the right and the next time they hold full sway we will see the beginning of  an unprecedented Christo- Fascist state in the US. There are still a few voices of reason on the right like Liz Cheney but Trumpism has gained a firm hold on the party. I am also of the opinion that the US is already an oligarchy run by the wealthy one percent and corporate interests. Depending on how you vote you either get oligarchy light or the full blown version. It's been some years now since I have voted in an election that I did not feel that I was voting for the lesser of two evils.. From my view in the trenches I do see a difference in the two parties and I'm still pissed at the Dems for throwing Bernie Sanders under the bus during the primaries, had he made it to the Whitehouse we would have a true progressive government at the moment instead of Uncle Joe's watered down version.
I agree 100% No place for politics in humor ;D
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1658 on: August 11, 2022, 03:44:46 pm
...waiting for the Watergate jokes ...

Karl Childers

• Ghost in the machine.
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #1659 on: August 11, 2022, 04:01:43 pm
...waiting for the Watergate jokes ...

Here's one from the era, Richard Nixon had to watch "Deep Throat" five times before he could get it down Pat!  ::)

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1660 on: August 16, 2022, 01:03:55 am
 ;D
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Hoiho

• Dead horse beater
  • Grand Gearhead
  • NZ - 2020 GT 650
Reply #1661 on: August 16, 2022, 10:59:55 pm

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1662 on: August 17, 2022, 01:32:45 am
When i was younger we had a baby joey for a while that mum had rescued, it lived in a sack hanging off the back of a chair as a substitute pouch. Cute but annoying, we set it free as soon as it was big enough to survive without help. Adult kangaroos are not good house pets or safe with children.

There used to be a show here called "Skippy" about a kangaroo.  It seemed to be an Australian attempt at making "lassie" with a kangaroo instead of a dog.

They did not really bother training the kangaroos used on the show. In most of the close ups, where "Skippy" scratched on things to show the humans where the stolen-goods/lost-children/dead-bodies were stashed, was actually done by a prop assistant with a dead kangaroo paw attached to a stick.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2022, 01:35:10 am by GlennF »

Hoiho

• Dead horse beater
  • Grand Gearhead
  • NZ - 2020 GT 650
Reply #1663 on: August 17, 2022, 03:54:58 am
When i was younger we had a baby joey for a while that mum had rescued, it lived in a sack hanging off the back of a chair as a substitute pouch. Cute but annoying, we set it free as soon as it was big enough to survive without help. Adult kangaroos are not good house pets or safe with children.

There used to be a show here called "Skippy" about a kangaroo.  It seemed to be an Australian attempt at making "lassie" with a kangaroo instead of a dog.

They did not really bother training the kangaroos used on the show. In most of the close ups, where "Skippy" scratched on things to show the humans where the stolen-goods/lost-children/dead-bodies were stashed, was actually done by a prop assistant with a dead kangaroo paw attached to a stick.

Why did they call it 'Skippy the bush kangaroo'? Was that to differentiate it from Skippy the golf course kangaroo and Skippy the strip mall kangaroo?

Karl Childers

• Ghost in the machine.
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #1664 on: August 17, 2022, 04:10:56 am
All those kangaroo shows make me feel jumpy.