Author Topic: Newby needing some guidance.  (Read 4491 times)

allanfox

• Bulleteer
Reply #15 on: October 02, 2023, 05:00:00 pm
haha, sorry my error!

I am hoping it indicates a good set up as ridden regularly and without mercy, plug colour is pretty good too but I do prefer a tad rich to a tad weak. Appreciate all the carbs you can fit but the good old 32mm Amal works for me, I do like a tickler as it does mean easy starting and it drops straight into a nice 'duff, duff' tick over, if I can I let it sit and warm for a minute until the revs just raise a bit before riding. The choke adds nothing (maybe as I have it rich) but the same as any Amal i guess.

There is PHF 32 on the shelf that I do need to try but, 'if it ain't broke etc'  :)

Steelaway

• Scooter
  • How f**king much. -- The Yorkshire war cry
Reply #16 on: October 02, 2023, 06:16:09 pm
Be aware that there is a reason that the knock off is $45. Don't build in trouble by fighting marginal parts. Fighting mystery carb tuning isn't a lot of fun. About a month into it you may well regret not getting that $300 Mikuni kit...

Pricepart sell Wassell carbs ready to go in the $100 range - many here like them. The ?PWK? brand is highly thought of too. A good knowledge base exists.
https://www.pricepartmotorcycles.co.uk/ourshop/cat_316500-Wassell-Carburetors-and-parts.html

A friend's 500 Velocett piston running just a little too hot  ;D

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #17 on: October 03, 2023, 12:43:00 am
I had a BSA B40 SS90 piston start to melt, it sagged around the ring lands fore and aft. With the rings removed it looked like the thing was grinning at me.

So what carb was that Velo running?

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Steelaway

• Scooter
Reply #18 on: October 03, 2023, 10:02:21 am
The Chinese Mikuni carb has arrived and I must say that I'm very impressed with the quality.

It has a brass slide and apart from a slight blemish in the chrome plating it looks just like any Mikuni carb.
It has a two stroke i emultion tube but that shouldn't make much difference .
Even the jetting seems pretty close to the figures I found by a chap that had done some tests with a 32mm.
It's looking good

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #19 on: October 03, 2023, 11:50:36 am
The Chinese Mikuni carb has arrived and I must say that I'm very impressed with the quality.

It has a brass slide and apart from a slight blemish in the chrome plating it looks just like any Mikuni carb.
It has a two stroke i emultion tube but that shouldn't make much difference .
Even the jetting seems pretty close to the figures I found by a chap that had done some tests with a 32mm.
It's looking good

Oh, good. This will get interesting now.

You got a round slide, right? With a tickler?

Let the jet game begin  :)

Good luck
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Raymond

• Grease Monkey
Reply #20 on: October 03, 2023, 12:03:13 pm
. . . continuing to watch this thread with interest  . . .
In the garage:
2007 Kawasaki W800 SE Polly
1978 Yamaha XS650 Miss November
2003 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Deluxe

Steelaway

• Scooter
Reply #21 on: October 03, 2023, 12:42:38 pm
Round slide but no tickler only a choke.
It is a modern carb

Specifications

For Mikuni Round Slide VM Series Carburetor 32mm Bore
Inlet Bore Size : 32mm,.D.
 Mounting : 40mm,
Main Jet : 200, :
Throttle Valve: 3.0 , 35 (VM22/210), Needle 6DP17,
Needle 6 (159 Series), Main (4/042)
Slide Cutaway 3.0 (VM34/110),
Needle valve 3.3 (VM34/39)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/385069835718?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=n914arF-QvC&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=hBel7GEQQdW&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
« Last Edit: October 03, 2023, 12:50:34 pm by Steelaway »

Steelaway

• Scooter
Reply #22 on: October 03, 2023, 01:13:29 pm
I had a BSA B40 SS90 piston start to melt, it sagged around the ring lands fore and aft. With the rings removed it looked like the thing was grinning at me.

So what carb was that Velo running?

Not the mixture, it was running on the rich side
The only thing that was miles out was the ignition timing
A.

Steelaway

• Scooter
Reply #23 on: October 04, 2023, 09:14:43 pm
My mate is having some success with his Bullet and MK2 Amal

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: October 04, 2023, 10:25:11 pm
They work on Electra-Xs too. Bullet Whisperer once got one up to 103mph, but that was with a 36mm Amal Mk2 (while you still get the bigger ones new) and a change of cams. Let's see how your Mikuni-oid performs.

I admit that red cap over the fuel pipe feed does look a bit like a tickler. Some big Dell'Orto carbs on the old Ducati V twins still had them.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #25 on: October 04, 2023, 10:27:27 pm
There's no shame in using what already works! ;D

If you bought the same lash up, you guys could share tuning bits like different slide cutaways & needle jets, etc. You'd also have a leg up on having a functioning mixer, something well worthwhile. I assume that it's at least 32mm, so flow will never be an issue.
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #26 on: October 05, 2023, 11:45:37 am
I admit that red cap over the fuelpipe feed does look a bit like a tickler.

A.

Yes. I was curious, too (Reply #20), but I think it's just a cover over the fuel inlet fitting to keep the bugs out  :) 

Like Raymond & Adrian & the rest, I'm very interested. Take notes & keep us in the loop, Steelaway. Good luck in the dialing in game  :)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2023, 12:03:33 pm by tooseevee »
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Steelaway

• Scooter
Reply #27 on: October 05, 2023, 06:03:17 pm
There's no shame in using what already works! ;D

If you bought the same lash up, you guys could share tuning bits like different slide cutaways & needle jets, etc. You'd also have a leg up on having a functioning mixer, something well worthwhile. I assume that it's at least 32mm, so flow will never be an issue.

He had that Amal on the shelf from way back so free
A new Mk 2 is £160 ---- the 'Mikuni' was £38 and I am Yorkshire man :D ;D

I do think that the Mikuni is a better carb so I'm hoping it will perform better

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: October 05, 2023, 06:40:07 pm
I noticed Sheffield in your profile, which probably accounts for your choice of forum name.

A.

Steelaway

• Scooter
Reply #29 on: October 05, 2023, 07:08:29 pm
I noticed Sheffield in your profile, which probably accounts for your choice of forum name.

A.

Yep the steel city.
It was also the name of the narrow boat I built