Author Topic: 2019 Royal enfield Himalayan New bike  (Read 12566 times)

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
on: August 21, 2019, 04:24:59 am
A few days back I thought I had a good deal going on a new 019 plated Himalayan from a dealership which had changed hands and had a couple of leftover he plans to sell. Anyway it was a grand under list but in the end that sale fell through and he changed his mind...lol
Anyway today i got early and into purchase mode and hit the phone and got a dealer roughly 3 hours away who had just taken over as the new Enfield dealer in western Sydney NSW Australia. His quote on a Himalayan was a bit high at $7300 out the door and in Australia that for the carby model too -only one available here no fuel injection. I said i'd be happy to go $6990 cash and in the end that was the exact cash price.

So this time they did take my deposit and its just a matter of getting it registered and then the pick up. Apart from that i will be ready to roll. Same colour Black and Compliance 5/019 as the other unit I inquired about days earlier so they must all be from the same import batch.

I always had plans if I ever bought a Himalayan to actually buy the sleet version but after studying the colour over and over again on various youtube video I decided maybe its not for me. I'd also say I did NOT really like the look of this particular bike at all but over the past few months my opinion has changed there too. Once I hated white cars -now I own a white car and have painted some of my cars white...lol
This new dealership had this Black Himalayan in stock and a White demo. They offered me a demo to ride but I figured if I am going to drive 6 hours in total I might as well just get the Black unit and try this out in the local area once and for all. It may actually surprise me.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #1 on: August 21, 2019, 12:17:55 pm
Not usually a big fan of black bikes (Why make yourself even harder to see?), but I like that well enough. Then again, I am presently mulling over picking up a black Moto Guzzi for about $1000 that needs some kind of driveshaft seal. So, maybe that's softened me up a bit.

You gonna lay on that special Himi worldbeater luggage too, Wildbill? Thinking of riding her back from Western Oz or just shipping?
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: August 21, 2019, 01:54:53 pm
Looks nice, Bill.  How long are you planning to keep this one?   ;)  Got any trips to Papua New Guinea planned?   ;D
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: August 22, 2019, 02:19:40 am
bilgemaster

I think I will pick it up in the hi-ace as the wife said I have noting better to do than drive down and get it rather than waste $500 on freight like I did on that triumph..lol anyway I will see . I suppose its only 3 hours each way but I don't like the idea.

Richard 230

that I  suppose will depend upon how well the bike goes. although saying that I have that street scrambler as a back up and it does appear to be not a bad bike so I am at least happy with that one.

BAD NEWS!

ok guys sorry to burst the bubble. now at first I too was wrapped with itchyboots trek on the Himalayan and how well that bike really runs BUT now I am starting to think that bike may be the exception to the rule. maybe just maybe it gets the long hauls but still gets its easier compared to say if a guy was the main rider. just a thought there.
why do I say this?
this forum has very little to no info on the Himalayan-that's what I think. I bought one so I had to do the research. I've done that over the past couple of weeks over a few web sites.
it appears to me and I will find out one way or the other-the himalayan is just as heavily flawed with defects as the c5 or may even be worse. in the beginning the early versions had problems but its still no better in 019 and one guy recommended first off pull the swing arm and head steady and grease the bearing with quality grease-on a new bike.
some have mentioned too to avoid the swingarm bearing/head/wheel/etc just keep the Himalayan on sealed road and away from water...lol
as for me if it was $10k I think i'd scrap my deposit now and bail but seeing its only $7k and I have bought those accessories or some for it-its too late to pull out and I am going to find out fist hand -if its any good or not!
because unlike some I know I can always cash it for a quick $5K..lol

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #4 on: August 22, 2019, 02:42:09 am
You won't like it.

So far, your track record says you don't like anything Royal Enfield makes so, why bother.  Just sell it now.  That will keep you from having to spend 6 hours picking it up and bringing it home.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: August 22, 2019, 12:17:19 pm
(GRIN)

7 years later and bike -28-or my 25th new bike since my return to two wheelers since 150 cars. ! i wonder further down the track who will get this unit ?

so i decided to head off and do the trip and save the $500 freight. i couldn't pull out of the deal as apart from lose the deposit i have ordered quite a few accessories for the bike. here it is in the van

I had a bit of trouble getting the bike in the hi-ace so had no choice but to remove the screen and mirror

now to confirm some of those Himalayans have problems -look at this one where the welding let go-

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: August 22, 2019, 02:06:27 pm
Gee, who knew that RE made a Himalayan extended-fork custom cruiser?  Are you going to modify your bike like that, Bill?   ;D

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #7 on: August 22, 2019, 02:28:00 pm
I think you're getting WAY ahead of your typical vehicle consumption curve there, Wildbill. You haven't even given that fine new Himi a chance! Hell, you don't know the back story on that frame crack shown in that photo. For all we know that thing was abused in ways you wouldn't dream of doing to yours.

Fact is, frame cracks are just a reality of "adventure riding" whatever the make or model of bike. I'm currently rewatching those "Long Way 'Round" and "Long Way Down" series on Amazon Prime, and both series feature multiple frame breakages on those huge pricey and supposedly indestructable Beemers they're swanning around on. In fact, at one point in the first series they basically have to write off the cameraman's ride owing to multiple frame breakages, and end up mounting him on a little Russian IZh Planeta 5 2-stroke, which, being sensibly light and tractable like your new Himi, then proceeds to run rings around those corpulent German globs.

So yeah, give it a chance why don't you? One of those things just hauled a Dutch gal and all her shit to Europe from Malaysia without major incident, so as long as you don't jump that thing off Ayers Rock, you should be fine. Relax and enjoy, dude.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 02:43:03 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: August 22, 2019, 02:34:09 pm
im just showing you guys what some-one posted on another forum. doesn't worry me. I just buy and try...lol

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: August 22, 2019, 04:08:04 pm
I am getting ready to buy. I still don't understand why nobody has whined about the windscreen! It buffets my noggin like crazy, no matter where i try to position my head. So, if i get a Himi the first thing to go will be the windscreen followed by the mirrors. Question is, is there an alternative screen out there? Looking forward to your evaluation Wild Bill.
  Does anyone know if Dobeck makes an kit for the Himi? Their site only lists the Bullet EFI.
 Roverman.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #10 on: August 22, 2019, 04:25:08 pm
I'm currently rewatching those "Long Way 'Round" and "Long Way Down" series on Amazon Prime,

I watched those two series years ago and still try to watch them over every year or so. Like rereading LOTR (and his and Christopher's other stuff) every now and then since the late '60s when I first read it. LOTR and Tolkien became one of my strongest life-long obsessions.

Long Way Down and Long Way Round are two of THE best! and anyone on here who has NOT watched them - Get On It!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 05:40:17 pm by tooseevee »
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #11 on: August 22, 2019, 04:54:57 pm
im just showing you guys what some-one posted on another forum. doesn't worry me. I just buy and try...lol
The Hemi in those pictures as pretty much been proven to be one of the first models RE released and yes, they had design and welding problems.  In fact, RE stopped production of the motorcycle and redesigned the weak areas and revised their welding procedures for the Hemi they are selling now.

IMO, Noraly's 36,000 km ride goes a long way to prove the revised model doesn't have an issue with frame cracks any more than other brands of Adventure motorcycles being sold.

Also remember, anything that is mechanical can be broken if some dumb shit is using it.  They are quite capable of breaking a hammer.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

symmo

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: August 22, 2019, 07:16:51 pm
I saw that photo of that busted Himalyan ages ago, and the owner if I remember had been jumping it off tumps and what ever, and Enfield told him to take a hike.I don't think a frame will brake like that unless you're doing dafty things it wasn't design to do. As for colour they also come in Olive Drab which suits it perfectly, but you have to ask.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: August 22, 2019, 08:53:40 pm
I am getting ready to buy. I still don't understand why nobody has whined about the windscreen! It buffets my noggin like crazy, no matter where i try to position my head. So, if i get a Himi the first thing to go will be the windscreen followed by the mirrors. Question is, is there an alternative screen out there? Looking forward to your evaluation Wild Bill.
  Does anyone know if Dobeck makes an kit for the Himi? Their site only lists the Bullet EFI.
 Roverman.

I just bought a clip-on-to-the-windshield wind deflector that I found on Amazon for only $26 and free shipping from Hong Kong.  Took two weeks to arrive and works just as well as the made-in-Germany version that Wunderlich sells for $220.   :o  Photos attached

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: August 22, 2019, 10:23:24 pm
Thanks Richard!

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: August 23, 2019, 12:38:20 am
looks like the exact extender I bought on ebay or close to it and tested on my youtube channel on my 2019 honda cb500x  I had earlier on this year. I agree totally-it did work fine. I may grab one of those again myself.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: August 23, 2019, 11:21:36 am
heres what I found on first day out on the Himalayan.

the bad.

really one two issues. front disc was pretty pathetic with virtually no stopping power. may be air in the line or may require time to bed in or may require bleeding. something I can look into later. number two speedometer needle was bouncing about from 35 to 50 mph so I wouldn't be surprised at all if it is faulty and will require replacing as another quy from Oz had a very similar problem. so that's about it over a 30 mile run.

the good

had no problem stop starting the bike over a 3 or 4 stop start situations. bike rides pretty smooth overall from scratch and I can honestly say far better than any c5 I have ridden in the past. not only that it has more power than a c5 and actually takes off far better than one and runs far better than one and doesn't run out of puff.

there is also virtually near zero vibes although to be fair I didn't exceed 50 mph but when I did hit 50 mph it was doing it oh so easy and that was without the windshield in place too. I have no doubt that this bike would run 60 mph very easy in standard form hour after hour -no mods required -no money spent.

while out on the ride I thought I might as well point it down a dirt road too. this actually surprised me. i'd been down this same road on the honda cb500x/the honda xr190l/Yamaha xt250 and the kawasaki versys 300 plus a few of the c5.s and the 350 and in all honesty this bike was by far the quickest along the whole section of dirt. plus it felt the safest too.

it may have been tyre related or may not I don't know but I do know it is very sure plant along the dirt roads. that well plant that I decided to try another dirt road just to be sure and as a rule - I don't like dirt roads much.

overall i'd sum up and say its really is a pretty good bike to ride and in a way its a bit disappointing my C5's were not built as good as well as they built the Himalayans and I am not saying its built that good but its far better built than the classic 500's I've had. plus I know most of you don't like how I think and that's your choice and you cant please everyone but ive been on lots of bikes especially c5 and there have only been two which I class were reasonably good rides and this bike runs far better than both of them.

I will open the door further....is it better than the interceptor I had earlier this year? quick reply NO! but that bike was roughly $3000 more to buy.

anyway that's the thought on the Himalayan so I think I can try and put a few miles on it and beat a few bike records. ive already beaten the KTM duke 390 as it only lasted 45 klm.

I think if your sitting on the fence thinking about one of these bikes and can get fuel injection and abs tossed in too-that's a very hard to beat deal. may come our way but I think not till 20/20

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: August 23, 2019, 02:04:46 pm
Bill, what do you mean when you say that you have already beaten the KTM 390 Duke as it only lasted 45 Klm?  Did you sell that bike already and if so why?  ???

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: August 25, 2019, 01:38:10 am
riding position was a bit hard on my shoulders. I did buy bar end risers but never bothered to fit them. so I thought best option to me was to move the bike out and try another and give some-one else a chance at a cheap buy. nothing wrong with the bike and the guy who bought it got a steal at $2500 under new price roughly a month old and just 25 miles on the clock.
but my next plan could involve an electric push bike by TREK and that will cost $7500 so that's whats on my mind at the moment-not motorbikes....lol

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: August 25, 2019, 01:46:31 pm
Well, good luck with your next purchase, Bill.  Those electric push bikes do require to be pushed once and a while and some of them are kind of heavy.

You ought to contact the Guinness Book of World Records to find out if you are in the running for the most vehicles bought new by a privately financed individual not named Jay Leno.

Or this could be your next vehicle:  https://electricmotorcycles.news/pedilio-is-a-new-solar-velomobile/

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: August 26, 2019, 01:14:48 am
I think I will test ride an electric bike first as there is a dealer roughly 50 klm away - they could be a lot harder to move should the idea go pear shaped...lol
meanwhile I had the Himalayan on dirt road yesterday and I must admit I was wrong walking past it a few times over the past 2 years at dealers and writing it off as a bit of junk. its a far better bike than I ever thought. maybe not in the speedo area but everywhere else fine. very smooth motor and just waiting now for my accessories to arrive.
if this motor  had been in the c5 -it would have been a near perfectly free vibrator with a tad more power

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
  • From the New Hampshire part of New Jersey
Reply #22 on: September 03, 2019, 01:53:01 pm
 Roverman.

Itchyboots/Noralee mentioned the same thing in her latest review.
9fingers
Currently own:

2016 Classic Chrome Maroon
2020 Moto Guzzi V7III Special
V Strom 650 ABS Adventure
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 250 TMI custom frame
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: September 03, 2019, 03:02:29 pm
I actually thought it rode better without the screen and noticed more buffeting with the factory screen attached especially when using a camera and mike. that little screen attachment I once put on the cb500x might help a bit too. they only cost roughly $30. it appeared to work ok on that bike and a guy in Australia said it was fine for 60 mph cruising but not too good at lower speed on dirt tracks as dust blocked his vision a bit. there's also a high screen available now from hitchcocks usa which lifts the screen roughly 6cm I think

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #24 on: September 03, 2019, 07:24:00 pm
..........there's also a high screen available now from hitchcocks usa which lifts the screen roughly 6cm I think

Hitchcocks USA?
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: September 03, 2019, 11:59:09 pm
correction...uk

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: April 30, 2020, 02:09:40 am
cleared