Author Topic: oil supply  (Read 4496 times)

uhu

• Scooter
on: January 27, 2021, 08:51:53 pm
Hi all,

Inspired by Laubfrosh I finally assembled my 1953 or something Bullet 350 I had lying around for the best part of 40 years (I used to ride a 500 twin, I stil have in boxes...). Rebored, new timing shaft, new bearings/rollers etc (living in Belgium: many thanks to Hitchcocks for the super and fast service!)... Last week she started (my target was before my 65, just in time...) and albeit I had some trouble to fire her up, she runs very sweet. I checked the oil supply to the cranckshaft (filled the filter with oil before assembly), thats ok, but I have no supply to the rockers, not even at the starting point of the external pipe. I only let her turn for, say 3 minutes, and mainly on tick-over. But before starting her again I would like to check whether it is normal that the supply to the rocker gear takes so long. I understand that the sump has to be filled with oil before the return pump can start to feed the rockers, but how long can that take? (I also checked the pressure release in the return line, and that works fine).

Can some-one help?

Grtz, Ludo

added a little picture

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #1 on: January 27, 2021, 09:52:30 pm
Uhu -  My Bullets seem to take maybe 10-15  seconds to pump up scavenged oil in normal use.

Did you leave a cup or so in the crankcase for the scavenge pump to grab onto before you put on the top end? The crankcase vent is one access point to inject some oil into the crankcase post-assembly. Have you popped off the crankcase drain plug to verify rod bearing oil is actually making it in there? That will verify the crank is getting oil.

After three minutes of run time, there should definitely be oil in the crankcase. If NO oil in the crankcase, try squirting oil into the crank stub with the crankcase drain plug out to verify that that vital passage is indeed working. A bit of cork or swarf can be a showstopper. If this passage is plugged, I'd try a "Mity-Vac" or some such fluid sucker to try to pull it back out. Who knows, it might work...

If there is oil in the crankcase but but still no scavenge flow, it's probably time to pop off the timing cover.

Verify the suction side passage to the scavenge pump from the crankcase casting is clear. Manually squirt oil thru the suction passage back to the case sump with the drain plug out and check for flow.

If the scavenge suction side intake passage is clear, manually turn the spindle to verify pumping action. Oil supplied to the scavenge suction port will be pumped out the discharge port.

If the scavenge pump functions manually, check the cover gasket to verify it isn't blocking suction or discharge flow to the engine case casting.

If that all works, manually squirt oil up thru the case scavenge discharge side oil passages to see if it gets to the external line connection.

If that's good, make certain the "Y" external oil line is clear on both sides.

Reassemble, add a cup of oil to the crankcase, use an external fuel tank, pop off the tappet covers like the Indians do and verify flow out of the rockers when the engine is running with the fuel tank off.

Be methodical and don't assume anything. This is simple stuff, but a blocked oil passage or scuffed up pump innards can make everything "grind" to a halt.  :o 

Let us all know how this turns out. Pictures are always welcome and helpful.

Good Hunting - ACR -
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

uhu

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: January 28, 2021, 09:26:52 am
ACR, thx a lot for your instructions. Engine was completely apart, and all oil passages cleaned twice (at least). But I didn't add oil to the crankcase. I'll start checking the oilpassage through the crankshaft though (I just checked the oilfeed on the cork plug, turning over the engine with the starter, which showed some flow, so I'll check also the feedside more thoroughly) and then follow your clear instructions. First work for this weekend!

Thx again,

Uhu

uhu

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: January 30, 2021, 03:26:09 pm
Problem solved! Apparently a lack of patience... I started by checking the cranckcase by removing the drain plug: found approx 15 cc of oil. Squirted some oil through the shaft, also ok. Then started the engine and checked the oilsupply to the shaft again (loosening the bolt on the T.S.cover), also ok. As I had the tappetcover open, I already saw oil from the rockers was dripping down. Finally I checked oil supply to the rockers by loosening the banjobolts.
Thanks again ACR.

https://youtu.be/XVWLHTKzEIA

Karl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: February 27, 2021, 09:15:06 pm
I know from my old triumphs they never pumped much to the rockers, take the covers off and look inside for oil, it there is oil present you can establish it's working might just be taking time to pump up, not a great deal of oil is fed to the rockers on a dry sump engine.

uhu

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: March 04, 2021, 02:26:24 pm
bullet 350 (boulette is her name) nearing completion.

uhu

grumbern

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: March 04, 2021, 03:15:32 pm
Très chic, la Boulette ;D

uhu

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: March 05, 2021, 12:50:08 pm
Merci, c'est ton projet Laubfrosh que m'a inspiré…
Ludo

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #8 on: March 05, 2021, 04:51:31 pm
Ludo, do you know this forum? They have several Belgian members as well as French.

http://www.royalenfieldlesite.fr/forum/

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #9 on: March 05, 2021, 10:54:17 pm
Uhu/Ludo - glad La Boulette is properly circulating oil again! I admire that alloy front rim - a 3.00 x 21? She looks purposeful! - ACR -
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

grumbern

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: March 07, 2021, 08:54:34 am
Thanks Uhu,
that's as much French as I can understand, thanks to having learned Latin for some time... ;D
Two motorcycles, similar, but different. 8)
Andreas

uhu

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: March 08, 2021, 12:41:52 pm
Ludo, do you know this forum? They have several Belgian members as well as French.

http://www.royalenfieldlesite.fr/forum/

A.

Hi Adrian, didn't know that site. Thx for the link.

By the way, there is a 350 bullet engine 1955 (with gearbox but minus alternator, clutch and chain and minus ignition and carburetor) for sale on a belgian site for 400 € (350 £). Engine turns over, but the vendor doesn't know the inside condition... Is that a reasonable asking price?

Uhu

uhu

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: March 08, 2021, 12:45:28 pm
Uhu/Ludo - glad La Boulette is properly circulating oil again! I admire that alloy front rim - a 3.00 x 21? She looks purposeful! - ACR -

AzCal, thx again for your advice. Front tyre is indeed 3.00 x 21; rim and drum are from a seventies Honda trailbike... I'm looking for an aluminium rim, 40 spokes, 19" for the rear wheel.

Uhui

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #13 on: March 08, 2021, 02:07:55 pm
Hi Adrian, didn't know that site. Thx for the link.

By the way, there is a 350 bullet engine 1955 (with gearbox but minus alternator, clutch and chain and minus ignition and carburetor) for sale on a belgian site for 400 € (350 £). Engine turns over, but the vendor doesn't know the inside condition... Is that a reasonable asking price?

Uhu

No alternator for the 1955 Bullet engine, that was the last year the factory fitted the MO1 Lucas mag-dyno.

Replacement chaincases, clutch, etc. are available. I don't know what the Belgian market for old British Bike parts is like, but it sounds cheaper than Hitchcocks once you have paid VAT and carriage. You'd have to make sure it wasn't a Clipper engine with the oil tank at the front of the crankcase.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

uhu

• Scooter
Reply #14 on: March 08, 2021, 02:20:19 pm
No alternator for the 1955 Bullet engine, that was the last year the factory fitted the MO1 Lucas mag-dyno.

Replacement chaincases, clutch, etc. are available. I don't know what the Belgian market for old British Bike parts is like, but it sounds cheaper than Hitchcocks once you have paid VAT and carriage. You'd have to make sure it wasn't a Clipper engine with the oil tank at the front of the crankcase.

Its this engine. Puzzles me: apparently fitted with a MO1, but primary transmission from an alternatormodel... So should be wrong primary cases?