Author Topic: Maiden Voyage II report  (Read 665 times)

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
on: March 25, 2024, 10:25:47 pm
Roads have mostly cleared up for spring ride after 6-7 years on moth balls.  Air temperature was 43f/6c .New traditional style tyres from Brit Bike feels good.  New Amal carb feels great and pulls hard . Slight oil leak on Primary Cover ( full litre/quart of15w40) needs to be addressed. I'm very happy and look forward to a nice summer. Cheers.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

Raymond

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: March 26, 2024, 11:15:22 am
Looks lovely, clean bike. I'm sure you will have many miles and smiles.
In the garage:
2007 Kawasaki W800 SE Polly
1978 Yamaha XS650 Miss November
2003 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Deluxe

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #2 on: March 26, 2024, 02:54:04 pm
The handbook recommendation for primary chain case oil is 420ml. Why add so much?

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: March 26, 2024, 03:33:40 pm
The handbook recommendation for primary chain case oil is 420ml. Why add so much?

A.
I still have the original sprag starter. One litre in the primary is an attempt to get some oil up to it .

Paul W

• Grand Gearhead
  • 350 Bullet Electra (Indian home market).
Reply #4 on: March 27, 2024, 09:16:14 am
I didn’t think that lack of oil is the problem with the sprag clutch?
Paul W.

allanfox

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: March 27, 2024, 11:40:18 am
I still have the original sprag starter. One litre in the primary is an attempt to get some oil up to it .

When the chain is flying around it throws plenty of oil up there anyway, but as already stated a lack of oil isn't the issue with the sprag, it's the lack of a shock absorber is the issue.  If you overfill the primary I am sure it doesn't really matter but you will always have oil leaks from the gear change shaft, they don't seal well and if there is oil right behind them it will seep a bit.

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: March 27, 2024, 06:03:50 pm
You folks are making me think . Old RE folklore recommended a litre/ quart. Some India videos suggest  using 500ml. I'm with you that the sprag is ruined by shock load and probably poor metallurgy of construction.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #7 on: March 28, 2024, 12:19:46 am
AFAIK the sprag on these is a licenced copy of a Borg Warner part - maybe track down an original for better metallurgy?

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #8 on: March 28, 2024, 11:04:57 am
AFAIK the sprag on these is a licensed copy of a Borg Warner part - maybe track down an original for better metallurgy?

A.

Once mine finally exploded it came apart like a $2 suitcase; pieces all over the place once I got all unjammed & apart. The replacement from Hitchcocks was a thing of beauty.

One thing my explosion proved (the whole story is elsewhere on this forum) is that it was not over-use that caused it. It was a low battery unable to push the piston over TDC.

If I didn't hate the whole selling process so much, I think I would sell it. All it does is aggravate me more that I can't ride it.

RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: April 03, 2024, 08:32:15 pm

If I didn't hate the whole selling process so much, I think I would sell it. All it does is aggravate me more that I can't ride it.
What part of your motorcycle aggravates you?  I thought you had this RE sorted out.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #10 on: April 04, 2024, 12:16:13 pm
What part of your motorcycle aggravates you?  I thought you had this RE sorted out.

You totally misunderstood what I said.

I didn't mean that it aggravates me because of a problem with how the bike runs or operates. It starts, runs and goes down the road perfectly & it's still gorgeous cosmetically also  :) :)

What aggravates me is the fact that I can't ride it due to ME. I've lost all my confidence due to loss of physical ability & pain. The bike weighs a ton to me now & years ago I became very nervous & extremely super-careful even moving it around in the garage.  This will be the 4th summer it hasn't been ridden.

I might sell it to the right person.

RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: April 05, 2024, 05:55:32 am
I understand , and sorry to hear it.
With the Ace head work, its a rare motorcycle for sure.