Author Topic: What did you do to your RE Continental GT today?  (Read 390974 times)

RedCGT

• Scooter
Reply #750 on: April 04, 2018, 06:37:22 pm
Texas requires yearly safety inspections for motorcycles. It costs $7. When you get your registration renewal in the mail it is also a reminder to get it inspected first. It has to be inspected before you can renew your registration. You can sign up for reminder emails on the TX DPS site.

hpwaco

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #751 on: April 04, 2018, 06:45:15 pm
Texas hasn't had inspection STICKERS for motorcycles (or cars) for at least 2 years now.  Its all in the computer.  If I remember correctly, the inspection has to be within 90 days of renewing registration.

hpwaco

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #752 on: April 04, 2018, 06:51:25 pm
PS:  So did you not renew your GTs registration in 2017, or did the county renew it without checking for the inspection?

chuychacon

• Bulleteer
  • TEAM BANZAI 88
Reply #753 on: April 07, 2018, 11:38:15 pm
I removed the casting boss/zit next to the exhaust port and recut the fins back in then I trued the cly fins up
Moto Guzzi Lemans 1980
Kawasaki 750 Twin Cafe 1982
Honda XL 350 older brothers age 18-20
Honda Dream 50cc hand me down age10-14

KD5ITM

• Financial Problem Solver - Life Insurance, Mortgage Protection, Retirement Protection
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #754 on: April 08, 2018, 11:58:05 pm
Went to a local bike meet / show. About a hundred ducati's, Suzuki's, Hondas, a few Triumph triples.  a few dual sport bikes but 90% was crotch rockets / Superbikes. Great little event out in Katy Texas. Tons of door prizes. A hand full of vendors. Ended up taking home a $50 gift card for best cafe bike. The GT got its fair share of attention.
2014 Continental GT 535
1979 Hurst/Olds W-30 “R” code
1967 Oldsmobile 442 W-30
1964 Volvo B18 544 Sport
1961 Willys Jeep Wagon

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #755 on: April 26, 2018, 12:53:37 pm
Not today. The last 4 days. I did a trip with a couple of mates from Adelaide (south australia) to Halls Gap (victoria). Halls Gap is a cool little town in the Grampians, a sandstone mountain range surrounded by zillions of miles of flatland. Has a few nice twisty roads that were welcome after 500km of straightlining. Mates rode a Kawasaki VN800 and a new Road King. So I took the Enfield, of course. It kept up no worries and the only problem was the charge light occasionally coming on at random times. switching the headlight off or on seemed to make it go away.
Stayed at Halls Gap for 3 nights and did some nice bush walks, then went down the coast to Portland and across to Mt Gambier, which is also a place I go for track days. Stayed there the night with another mate and 450km back to Adelaide the next day in torrential rain. A bit of a change from the previous days which were warm with blue skies and light breezes. 1500km round trip.   
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

gavinfdavies

• Bulleteer
  • Noli Timere Messorem
Reply #756 on: April 26, 2018, 05:12:08 pm
Halls Gap is a cool little town in the Grampians, a sandstone mountain range surrounded by zillions of miles of flatland.

I love Halls Gap, I stayed there for a week or two back in 2006 over Easter. Lovely little place. Did you sample the custard slices (won 3rd best in all Australia!) and try out the crazy golf course a couple of miles down the road. Still the best one I've ever been too. Hopefully I'll visit again with the wife. The road down from the falls past the elephants hide was epic, even on a push bike. Ended up increasing my lead over a 4x4 that was following me!

gavinfdavies

• Bulleteer
  • Noli Timere Messorem
Reply #757 on: April 26, 2018, 05:18:25 pm
Last night I started playing with some parts, looking at a 17" allow wheel conversion. The aims are to reduce weight & rotational inertia, improve the true-ness of the wheels, and allow the use of low-profile modern rubber. I'm also trying to keep this mod needing only off-the-shelf parts and basic hand tools (like a hacksaw and a file) for non-precise fettling. So I'm swapping bearings to avoid making a new axle, buying stainless seamless tubing the right size for the inter-bearing spacer and just trimming it to length. Proposed wheels at from a KTM Duke/RC in 125/200/390 capacity. The early models have the same size disc too. These are pretty common and cheap in the UK, cost me £80 for a pair complete with discs, tyres, and sprocket.

So far the new from is 0.7kg lighter but also has the mass much closer to the hub, so should really improve matters.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #758 on: April 27, 2018, 01:33:38 am
I love Halls Gap, I stayed there for a week or two back in 2006 over Easter. Lovely little place. Did you sample the custard slices (won 3rd best in all Australia!) and try out the crazy golf course a couple of miles down the road. Still the best one I've ever been too. Hopefully I'll visit again with the wife. The road down from the falls past the elephants hide was epic, even on a push bike. Ended up increasing my lead over a 4x4 that was following me!

I'm not a huge fan of the Snot Block (custard slice) but I do love the ice cream and fresh made waffle cones at the ice cream shop on the corner. We didn't get to do the Adventure Golf this time, have done before with the kids another time. It's epic, yeah :) . That bit of the road would have been hilarious on a pushbike, nice work outrunning a 4x4! The Mt Victory road from Zumsteins to HG is all pretty fun and better since they fixed it after it was ruined by bushfires a few years ago. I'm looking forward to going back again too. Will try to get a long weekend with my wife and do a few of the longer walks. Beautiful place and only 5 hrs from home.
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #759 on: April 27, 2018, 01:45:39 am
Last night I started playing with some parts, looking at a 17" allow wheel conversion. The aims are to reduce weight & rotational inertia, improve the true-ness of the wheels, and allow the use of low-profile modern rubber. I'm also trying to keep this mod needing only off-the-shelf parts and basic hand tools (like a hacksaw and a file) for non-precise fettling. So I'm swapping bearings to avoid making a new axle, buying stainless seamless tubing the right size for the inter-bearing spacer and just trimming it to length. Proposed wheels at from a KTM Duke/RC in 125/200/390 capacity. The early models have the same size disc too. These are pretty common and cheap in the UK, cost me £80 for a pair complete with discs, tyres, and sprocket.

So far the new from is 0.7kg lighter but also has the mass much closer to the hub, so should really improve matters.
Interesting project. Keep us updated on that one...
The cast wheels would look like a world of wrong to me but that's only my opinion. Got a pic with the wheels dummied up? You'll lose a bit of ground clearance with the smaller wheels so you might need to lose the side stand and raise the exhaust, or get longer shocks and lift the fork a bit. What you think?
Is the KTM disc a direct replacement for the Enfield one, or just the same size? I'm going to have to buy a new one soon. Disc no.2 has developed a shudder like the first one. This was a new one for a Ducati Monster 659 ( I think).
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

gavinfdavies

• Bulleteer
  • Noli Timere Messorem
Reply #760 on: April 28, 2018, 08:20:36 am
Yeah, don't doubt they'll look different, but I can't see them from the saddle but I'll be able to enjoy the better handling. Disc is different (non-floating), just same size. Both the disc and the chain are on the wrong side, but the wheel is symmetrical so can handle being flipped. Will have to flip the did around though.

Do you mean that your floating buttons are loose? I did look at getting a custom rigid disc made up, I've got prices some where at work. Other option is replacing the buttons. It depends which part has worn - if the disc or carrier is worn, then replacing the buttons won't help. There's a chap near me who sells 13mm replacement self-assemble buttons, which are close in size but don't know if they're exact without destroying my buttons in the process!

chuychacon

• Bulleteer
  • TEAM BANZAI 88
Reply #761 on: April 28, 2018, 03:27:14 pm
I think a Honda Ascot would look nice under those wheels ;)
Moto Guzzi Lemans 1980

chuychacon

• Bulleteer
  • TEAM BANZAI 88
Reply #762 on: April 28, 2018, 03:38:47 pm
Tighten my clutch lever up with a washer,then I used a stainless steel .010 shim around the shifter shaft,it no longer moves in a 2 inch circle,then I checked primary chain ,looks good!
done with left side for now :)
Moto Guzzi Lemans 1980

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #763 on: April 29, 2018, 06:49:09 am

Do you mean that your floating buttons are loose? I did look at getting a custom rigid disc made up, I've got prices some where at work. Other option is replacing the buttons. It depends which part has worn - if the disc or carrier is worn, then replacing the buttons won't help. There's a chap near me who sells 13mm replacement self-assemble buttons, which are close in size but don't know if they're exact without destroying my buttons in the process!
I think the bobbins are fine, it seems to be the disc itself.  This one has about .020" run-out at the edge as best I can measure it.  Was good when it was new.  I think I'll replace it and send this one back to the manufacturer. They expressed interest in having a look because it's not like their products to have problems (Metal Gear, good stuff and great service).
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

KC1961

• Bulleteer
Reply #764 on: May 02, 2018, 05:25:20 pm
Filled it with fuel and took it out for the first time since last October. After using my (Hinckley) Bonnie for the last month the Enfield felt as light as a feather and really quick steering. I only managed about 20 miles but I really enjoyed it. Can't wait to get out some more. Only downside was the fuel gauge was reading empty, it was working when I put the bike away for the winter. I'll have a look at the sender some day. Does anyone know if the seal/gasket is re-usable?