Author Topic: What did you do to your RE Continental GT today?  (Read 391084 times)

Otto_Ing

Reply #510 on: January 06, 2017, 11:24:02 am
...gave the sets one more thought, Simplified it as much as possible and rearranged a little. I think I start liking it.

Aus.GT

• Bulleteer
Reply #511 on: January 13, 2017, 11:35:07 am
Hey oTTo have you thought about using a hydraulic brake banjo brake light switch at the rear brake master cylinder? Then you won't have to worry about the normal brake light switch bracket and associated springs and things.
1988 Gilera Saturno 500
2014 Continental GT
1985 Ducati Mille S2

Otto_Ing

Reply #512 on: January 13, 2017, 11:42:08 am
Hey oTTo have you thought about using a hydraulic brake banjo brake light switch at the rear brake master cylinder? Then you won't have to worry about the normal brake light switch bracket and associated springs and things.

Sounds like a good idea. The main issue with the sets is however the master cylinder itself. It sits far out because of the loops where the pillion pegs are attached to, don't want to chop them really.

Aus.GT

• Bulleteer
Reply #513 on: January 13, 2017, 11:48:06 am
Sounds like a good idea. The main issue with the sets is however the master cylinder itself. It sits far out because of the loops where the pillion pegs are attached to, don't want to chop them really.

If your redesigning the mounts there is no reason you couldn't move the rear master cylinder inboard about 10mm and fit a rose joint to the brake pushrod to connect to the pedal.
1988 Gilera Saturno 500
2014 Continental GT
1985 Ducati Mille S2

Otto_Ing

Reply #514 on: January 13, 2017, 12:10:01 pm
If your redesigning the mounts there is no reason you couldn't move the rear master cylinder inboard about 10mm and fit a rose joint to the brake pushrod to connect to the pedal.

I do not have plans to realize it imidiatelly, so some more thoughts will go into it. Moving the master inboard is however really not doable because it would colide with the frame. I've moved the bracked outboard instead with the idea of using non foldable racing style pegs, keeping the master where it is; this has reduced the offset already by a good margin.

Rose joint would be fine, but I want as small angle between the piston and pushrod as possible because the bigger the angle is the more radial force on the piston is created and that translates directly into less braking power. The other issue is the rigidity, the bracket where the master sits is very soft and keeps bending, this gives a spongy feeling.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 12:34:21 pm by oTTo »

Otto_Ing

Reply #515 on: January 15, 2017, 08:00:44 pm
Made a bush for now to get rid of the 0.04" play.

Changed the cad sets for the use of a banjo switch. If using 4 distance bushings, the brackets may be simple enough to be home made. :)

Aus.GT

• Bulleteer
Reply #516 on: January 17, 2017, 08:13:43 am
Made a bush for now to get rid of the 0.04" play.

It makes a huge difference, I used metal backed Teflon bushes in mine so you don't have to lubricate very often.
1988 Gilera Saturno 500
2014 Continental GT
1985 Ducati Mille S2

Otto_Ing

Reply #517 on: January 22, 2017, 05:16:00 pm
Today I've taken the motor apart. 5000km after the squish mod it looks a fair bit cleaner than what it looked after 3000km stock. Very thin crust on the piston comparatively. Squish band is however darker.

Haven't found any anomalites. Not much wear on the piston only the barrel is starting to shine a bit and the honing pattern is getting less prominent.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #518 on: January 22, 2017, 05:26:56 pm
Today I've taken the motor apart. 5000km after the squish mod it looks a fair bit cleaner than what it looked after 3000km stock. Very thin crust on the piston comparatively. Squish band is however darker.

Haven't found any anomalites. Not much wear on the piston only the barrel is starting to shine a bit and the honing pattern is getting less prominent.

Otto, how many miles on that spark plug? and would you please comment about its color a bit?
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Otto_Ing

Reply #519 on: January 22, 2017, 05:33:35 pm
              Otto, how many miles on that spark plug? and would you please comment about its color a bit?

5000km that is a bit over 3000 miles, not much. It's the iridium plug. It's very light brownish colour. Should be ok i think.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #520 on: January 22, 2017, 06:07:49 pm
Combustion looks better to me than the stock heads that I have seen.  I think the squish is doing the job, and the higher compression is probably helping too.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Otto_Ing

Reply #521 on: January 22, 2017, 06:27:19 pm
Combustion looks better to me than the stock heads that I have seen.  I think the squish is doing the job, and the higher compression is probably helping too.

I think it's fair to say that it was a much happier motor than stock. More torque in the low range, revving freely till 5000 rpm, about 6 horses over stock and no pinging and knocking. I am happy with the result and I was beating it a lot this season as I was the least powerful bike in the gang.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #522 on: January 22, 2017, 06:50:04 pm
I think it's fair to say that it was a much happier motor than stock. More torque in the low range, revving freely till 5000 rpm, about 6 horses over stock and no pinging and knocking. I am happy with the result and I was beating it a lot this season as I was the least powerful bike in the gang.
Sort of makes me wonder what is going on at the factory, when they can't even set up the engine properly during the build process.
It wouldn't even cost any more to do it.

This is just another example of things that make me think that they don't know what they are doing. There were numerous things like this in the Iron Barrel and AVL lines too. Eventually,  I just concluded that they farm out all design, and all they can do is assemble a lot of them, but they really can't recognize when something like this isn't right. They just keep making more bikes, and that's it.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Otto_Ing

Reply #523 on: January 22, 2017, 07:21:53 pm
Sort of makes me wonder what is going on at the factory, when they can't even set up the engine properly during the build process.
It wouldn't even cost any more to do it.

This is just another example of things that make me think that they don't know what they are doing. There were numerous things like this in the Iron Barrel and AVL lines too. Eventually,  I just concluded that they farm out all design, and all they can do is assemble a lot of them, but they really can't recognize when something like this isn't right. They just keep making more bikes, and that's it.

I don't really want to know what's going on in that factory, I've got enough clue...

Probably they do not do much creative at all, they hire consultants to do the design, to implement it and to built their production line and facilities as well. That way they are flexible and do not have to fire all the engineers after they have done their work, neither have they to come up with new work for them. More and more mfrg's are like that, the know-how often doesn't sit where one would expect it.

Farmer_John

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #524 on: January 22, 2017, 09:26:36 pm
It's just sad that a product that we like so much is so poorly engineered, incompetently built, blindly distributed and so carelessly supported.

I mean really.
"It's not what you know, it's how well you reference what you don't"

"Ain't no hill too high for a mountain climber"

Words to succeed by...