Author Topic: What did you do to your RE Continental GT today?  (Read 391095 times)

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #435 on: October 15, 2016, 10:09:10 pm
Interesting.

I thought that I  remembered seeing some tests of 21 hp somewhere.

But apparently it puts out about the same as a 500 in stock form.

So, if that is the case, the "stage one" type mods are good for about 25% increase over stock.
The "stage one" with Ace/Derottone airbox kit is good for about 30% over stock.

And the "stage one kit" with Ace billet head and Ace/Derottone airbox kit is good for about 62.5% over stock.

And the effects of cams and piston with the Ace head are yet to be determined.
 :)

Good info!
Thanks!
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Otto_Ing

Reply #436 on: October 15, 2016, 10:47:08 pm
When I bought my GT, the mechanic there told me that I'm an idiot buying the GT because even the C 500 goes better. The factory really screwed it, if the GT had atleast the 26rwhp's like mine stock it would do much better i bet.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #437 on: October 16, 2016, 12:12:23 am
When I bought my GT, the mechanic there told me that I'm an idiot buying the GT because even the C 500 goes better. The factory really screwed it, if the GT had atleast the 26rwhp's like mine stock it would do much better i bet.

As it turned out, you made a very good decision!

Your mechanic, on the other hand, was making an opinion based on what the factory equipment was. And like most people, they just take the bike as it comes.

However,  those of us who have been around a while have known for years that RE has no clue about how to make power. We have always had to do it ourselves.

But,... they could hire out a good frame design, and mass-buy a bunch of relatively good components to equip it with, and they did just that. So, we got a good rolling bike with a weak engine, just as expected. No surprise.

Then, we did as we have always done, and made the right power improvements to the engine, so that it goes as well as a vintage sports single road bike from the glory days.

It has been the same recipe for 50 years. Still have to do it with the UCE and the GT. Except that Ace takes it to a more advanced development level.

All the cafe racers wrenched their own machines to make them quick,  and they often used aftermarket parts from Dunstall, or various other outlets. Still the same today, but Dunstall, etc al, are no longer around. But, Ace is.

The most common response from our owners is, "This is how it should have come from the factory". Even right up to MeVoCGT's mechanic saying those same words when he was giving the Ace Billet GT Head bike it's break-in rides.

Unfortunately,  it doesn't come from the factory like this,  but that doesn't stop us from having what we want.

And even to this day, we have never got even one contact from the factory about what we do, or anything. They totally ignore us. And when it came time to go to Bonneville for a factory sponsored effort, they acted like we are not even here.
It's very disappointing, but has come to be expected.

But, we still push along on our own anyway, and we are doing better all the time,  even if we don't make money because it all gets used up in R&D.
 :)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 12:17:18 am by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Otto_Ing

Reply #438 on: October 22, 2016, 03:46:01 pm
Took the front end appart....ready for polishing.  :)

Now I have a problem though. The bottom tripple tree is made out of some bloody cast iron and weighs atlest 10 pound.  >:(  I'll have to do something about it...
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 03:57:49 pm by oTTo »

waltr

• Scooter
Reply #439 on: October 22, 2016, 06:05:49 pm
Hitchcocks has you covered.
CNC Machined Yokes  Part Number   93132   $450.00 Pounds

stock 4.67 kilo's 2.55 kilos

Otto_Ing

Reply #440 on: October 22, 2016, 06:09:29 pm
Hitchcocks has you covered.
CNC Machined Yokes  Part Number   93132   $450.00 Pounds

stock 4.67 kilo's 2.55 kilos

450£ :'(  I see if i can press out that axle and mill myself something or maybe hcm will be willing to sell me just the aluminum piece.

mickey

• Scooter
Reply #441 on: October 23, 2016, 12:33:10 am
Finally removed a horn and changed its location.  8)

Otto_Ing

Reply #442 on: October 23, 2016, 05:33:20 pm
Abraka dabra, ugly paint be gone!

This is how the aluminum looks under the paint.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 07:55:37 pm by oTTo »

KC1961

• Bulleteer
Reply #443 on: October 24, 2016, 06:51:06 pm
Didn't do anything to it but bought a new pair of tyres (Avon road riders) for it. Shocked that after 3200 miles on a 19bhp wonder, the oe rear is gone and the front down to 1.1mm. However, still love the bike although I don't think that the Scottish weather will allow me to get too much use out of it over the coming 5 months or so. Hopefully It'll have a bit more go come next year.

VinnieREGT

• Scooter
Reply #444 on: October 25, 2016, 07:50:47 am
Only just found this forum, would have been extremely useful over the last 6 months. still need to fit a power commander, change bar grips, find a half decent chain guard (every pair of jeans I have now had oil up the back of the right leg) and change the battery. Will have a troll through previous posts and look for some pointers. Vin

Otto_Ing

Reply #445 on: October 25, 2016, 07:51:30 am
Only just found this forum, would have been extremely useful over the last 6 months. still need to fit a power commander, change bar grips, find a half decent chain guard (every pair of jeans I have now had oil up the back of the right leg) and change the battery. Will have a troll through previous posts and look for some pointers. Vin

Welcome, and nice saddle!  8)

KC1961

• Bulleteer
Reply #446 on: October 25, 2016, 11:29:30 am
VinnieREGT, has your silencer got any baffle etc in it. How many miles have you done with this silencer and no PCV? Does your bike run fine as is?

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #447 on: October 25, 2016, 11:40:31 am
Welcome aboard. I lie the seat too. What's it from  8)? And how does it ride with the vintage treads?
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

VinnieREGT

• Scooter
Reply #448 on: October 25, 2016, 06:02:40 pm
VinnieREGT, has your silencer got any baffle etc in it. How many miles have you done with this silencer and no PCV? Does your bike run fine as is?

Hey, no baffles - straight through. Sounds great, runs ok. Pops & bangs on decelerating and can suddenly drop the revs at the lights but I think that's more to do with the fuel injection (hence the need for a power commander). Its got the K&N filter too which isn't helping the old fuel injection. As for mileage, probably 500miles with this exhaust.
Vin

VinnieREGT

• Scooter
Reply #449 on: October 25, 2016, 06:10:55 pm
Welcome aboard. I lie the seat too. What's it from  8)? And how does it ride with the vintage treads?
Hi Simon,
Thanks. The seat unit isn't off of anything particular. It was a random (but correct size for frame rails) fibreglass hump I found on ebay and then modified to take the old seat base so that the seat release still works. I shortened the frame by 5inches to make it look tidier.
The tyres, hmmm. Look great but can make some corners a bit hairier than they need to be. Unfortunately there isn't much choice in the vintage style due to the RE rim sizes.
Vin