Author Topic: What did you do to your RE Continental GT today?  (Read 391208 times)

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #165 on: March 31, 2016, 10:23:17 pm
On Saturday I rode down the George Washington Parkway to Mt Vernon and turned around then stopped at Hunting Creek Park. That's my Harley Sportster muffler and a Carpy header.
ACE Motors - sales & administration

gavinfdavies

• Bulleteer
  • Noli Timere Messorem
Reply #166 on: March 31, 2016, 11:52:20 pm
Wasn't expecting to be able to do any anti-shrouding activity due to lack of dremel and valve spring compressor. But then I did a brief test of using a countersinking tool in a drill, and it seemed to work ok, if slowly. Very delicated touch needed to avoid chatter due to the widely spaced straight cutting edges. I've now remove a fair bit of material around both intake and exhaust ports on the sides nearest the barrel, and also on the side of the intake furthest from the spark plug. Made everything as smooth as poss. Also matched the head inlet to the head/intake-spacer diameter, and blended the transition. Need to check the t-b/intake-spacer  joint as well.

Also have decoked everything, and prepared a new 0,2mm thin head gasket. I attempted to use my expensive new 0,1mm copper sheet, but due to lack of suitable cutting tools, I couldn't cut the bolt holes out. Fail. So I followed GHG's advice and split down the existing head gasket. The middle layer is clean and shiny, and quite thin. I've got some head sealer to help things along too.

Also ordered a couple of new exhaust port copper gaskets, and a special thin base gasket from Hitchcocks. Keen to see what it's like. If I don't like it, I'll just make a paper one.

And on that note it's almost midnight, so I'm off to bed! :)

gavinfdavies

• Bulleteer
  • Noli Timere Messorem
Reply #167 on: April 03, 2016, 12:58:12 am
Well my bike is back together now, and I've been out on a 30min test ride on a variety of roads. And it's all working great.

Starting state:
Massive pod filter, Wild Bore exhaust and open header pipe, Power Commander 5 with my own custom map. Problem is 'pinging under medium to heavy loads at medium rpm. In that area of the map I was running roughly +16% fuel and -4deg ignition. Piston and chamber full of thick flaky carbon after 8,000 miles. Squish band at about 2.2-2.4mm. Multi-layer steel head gasket roughly 1mm thick, composite base gasket roughly 0.8mm thick.

Modifications:
A small area of powder coat was files off the lower end of the top frame member under the ECU, and a small peice of the top fin on the outside intake edge on the spar plug side, close to the plug (I hope that makes sense!). This allowed the intake rocker cover to be remove with the engine in the frame. It was only about 1mm away anyway, so other bikes might be ok. Chamber and piston decoked. The was head material making shrouded areas on wall-side of each valve, presumably from when the bore was for a 500. This material was removed as much as possible. There was a step in the intake passage in the head coming from the inlet spacer. This step was chamfered and rounded to try to smooth the flow a bit. The base gasket was replaced with porous (non glossy) paper from an envelope (the kind bribes usually come it! :) ), which was roughly 0.2mm thick. This was then coated with engine oil to stop it bonding to the alloy. I HATE scraping off old paper OEM gaskets! I took GHG's advice and drilled out the rivets from the stock head gasket, and used the middle layer as my new head gasket, this being the cleanest layer and only about 0.1-0.2mm thick. I applied a very thin line of red hylomar around the sealing faces, only about as thick as a small paperclip wire. This was flattened out with the applicator to be about 2mm wide. Care was take to avoid getting too close to the oil way. Everything cleaned up ready for reassembly. When refitting the rocker boxes, the hydraulic followers will have taken up all the 'slack' from the missing pushrods. So when you tighten down the rocker boxes the 'high' followers will actually open the valves a bit. Tip: take a picture of the valve without the boxes, from a view point level with the rocker cover mating face. This will give you a reference of the closed position. Once you've tightened them down the followers will take atleast 15 mins to relax and close the valves. Before replacing the covers, compare the valves to your photo to check they've closed. I didn't have a camera, so I turned the engine over by hand, watching the rockers, and made sure I gots compression with no escaping hiss of air. Another method I've seen is to check you can just about twist the push rods by hand, this only worked on my exhaust rod. The intake rod refused to turn, even though I confirmed that the valve was indeed shut. Before refitting the covers I also remove any loose silicone sealant from where the factory had bonded the gaskets in place. Generally I also make sure all external thread were greased, and all internal thread were oiled with engine oil (I don't want any grease contaminating my clutch, call me paranoid!). Most were dry out the factor, and some were a nightmate to undo, even the rocker boxes, which are inside the engine! Their threads were bone dry, as the oil must have been added later. I'd strongly advise people to regularly undo, grease, and re-torque (25Nm) the two head nuts that are external (next to spark plug, and another opposite). Thee can get plastered with crap form the great outdoors, and seize up. My spark plug side one was REALLY bad, and needed well over double the force to undo compared to when I re-torqued it afterwards. It nearly cancelled my whole project, yet it's very easy to avoid this problem. Lastly I made a new custom map (this is my 17th iteration) using dynojets own map for the 500 UCE engine (which was much richer and more advance than mine in the midrange) for my low and midrange, and for my top end I used my existing map, because I know my pod filter requires far more fuel up top than stock airbox + K&N filter (when testing this change last autumn I had to go from +16% fuel to about +24% fuel because it actually began to nip up on me was doing high speed runs!).

Results:
The bike started first time (yay!), and ran fine. Low and midrange power is immense. Full throttle over 4,000rpm feels a little fluffy, and not an 'clean' and the midrange grunt. I suspect it's a bit too rich (I'm curently running +26% fuel up there!), but at least it's safe for now. After a good run, I did the pinging challenge. I took her up a long steep hill at in 5th gear and below 2000rpm, then opened the throttle wide to almost lug the engine. She grunted a bit, but pulled hard up towards 50mph without a hinting of pinging. Last week I wouldn't have dared this, as she would have instantly begun to ping.

Final test:
Tomorrow (or should I say today, as it's 1am my time!) I'll be going on a long ride out with several other GTs. Cue acceleration tests! :)

Otto_Ing

Reply #168 on: April 06, 2016, 01:00:48 pm
Well... test assembled my "Shot-Balls"

small is good for 1/2 pound lead shot
big is good for 1 pound lead shot

;D ...kind of like the small balls, the big one are too big.  :o

Looking forward to test both for vibs.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 01:03:03 pm by oTTo »

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #169 on: April 06, 2016, 03:20:44 pm
Very unique design!

Home of the Fireball 535 !

gavinfdavies

• Bulleteer
  • Noli Timere Messorem
Reply #170 on: April 06, 2016, 04:15:35 pm
Well... test assembled my "Shot-Balls"

small is good for 1/2 pound lead shot
big is good for 1 pound lead shot

;D ...kind of like the small balls, the big one are too big.  :o

Looking forward to test both for vibs.

Did you make these, or are they shop bought? Why not have a small on one side and a large on the other?

Otto_Ing

Reply #171 on: April 06, 2016, 05:25:37 pm
Did you make these, or are they shop bought? Why not have a small on one side and a large on the other?

;D

..primarily they are ment for testing the effectiveness of "lead shot" in damping vibrations at the bars. Shape does not really matter, although I kind of start liking the smaller balls.

A company nearby specializes in making hollow stainless balls of all sizes, even a few feet if required, which is why i have them readily available.

Maybe if I polish them up, I can skip the mirrors?!  ;) ;D
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 05:49:57 pm by oTTo »

mevocgt

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #172 on: April 07, 2016, 02:18:23 pm
Ya, will work better than stock mirrors, anyway....????

Otto_Ing

Reply #173 on: April 07, 2016, 02:24:40 pm
Ya, will work better than stock mirrors, anyway....????

Ya, and will cover a very wide angle....like a fisheye lens... :P

gavinfdavies

• Bulleteer
  • Noli Timere Messorem
Reply #174 on: April 08, 2016, 11:00:08 am
Swapped back from the big-bore stainless header to the stock narrow-bore item.

Result: throttle feel at low revs poor, especially when cold when it's atrocious, but I think that it down to it running just a bit too rich now. If was hunting a bit with the big pipe on it, now it's barely manageable. Once hot it's not too bad. Will tweak the map later. At middle and high rpms though, it's a different story. It seems to pull better and for longer, and had no hesitation when running up to higher speeds (80mph+) where with the bigger pipe is would be going all fluffy and horrible by about 75mph. It was also much happier cruising at 75mph.

All in all, a big improvement. Just a little map tweaking now to help things along.

gavinfdavies

• Bulleteer
  • Noli Timere Messorem
Reply #175 on: April 11, 2016, 07:52:22 pm
Swapped back from the big-bore stainless header to the stock narrow-bore item.

Result: throttle feel at low revs poor, especially when cold when it's atrocious, but I think that it down to it running just a bit too rich now. If was hunting a bit with the big pipe on it, now it's barely manageable. Once hot it's not too bad. Will tweak the map later. At middle and high rpms though, it's a different story. It seems to pull better and for longer, and had no hesitation when running up to higher speeds (80mph+) where with the bigger pipe is would be going all fluffy and horrible by about 75mph. It was also much happier cruising at 75mph.

All in all, a big improvement. Just a little map tweaking now to help things along.

Remapped it on Sunday afternoon. Leaned it out -10% around the idle setting, and retarded the ignition 2degs. Now it will start on the button and hold its own idle (850rm) when cold, and settle to about 1,200rpm when hot. Excellent.

I've also leaned the low-end out a couple of %, which has sorted out the hunting, and I've ironed out the fuelling at the top end of the map and added 2degs more advance (so now 6degs across the whole top end). A couple of little smoothing points lower down too.

Result: starts on the button and idles 'hands-free' when cold, no hunting in the low end, and at the top end the throttle response at 100% throttle is more like the rest of the map, much crisper. On my long run home of the motorway, it was cruising at 75mph for over and hour, at about 70% throttle, so not ringing its neck too much. All in all, very pleased.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #176 on: April 12, 2016, 01:02:22 am
  Still running the stock Cams Gavin, correct ?
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

gavinfdavies

• Bulleteer
  • Noli Timere Messorem
Reply #177 on: April 12, 2016, 03:59:38 pm
  Still running the stock Cams Gavin, correct ?

Yeah, spending money is short at the moment. She'll run up to about 4,500rpm no problems, but slows down after that.

Otto_Ing

Reply #178 on: April 12, 2016, 05:44:13 pm
Yeah, spending money is short at the moment. She'll run up to about 4,500rpm no problems, but slows down after that.

Tuned stack of correct length may help the top end for a small buck.  ;)

DenverGT

• Scooter
Reply #179 on: April 14, 2016, 02:35:50 am
Today I added a 7 inch headlight, the Ace Derottone Big Gulp and I blew the headlight fuse by leaving it all connected and on placing it back in.

For some reason I can't seem to find the fuse box... It has been a long day...