Author Topic: What did you do to your RE Continental GT today?  (Read 390165 times)

mevocgt

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #150 on: March 18, 2016, 12:47:56 pm
Ya, extra brake light bulbs is a a good thing to carry.  I have changed more brake light bulbs in my GT than any of my other bikes combined.

SSdriver

• Grease Monkey
Reply #151 on: March 18, 2016, 01:34:11 pm
Ya, extra brake light bulbs is a a good thing to carry.  I have changed more brake light bulbs in my GT than any of my other bikes combined.
NO problems with taillight since changing to LED bulb. Vibrations don't bother it and it's brighter too.
Had to change the headlight, but only because I caught a rock.
...Jimmy
2014 CGT
Stage One Kit and a bunch of other stuff.
1994 Jag XJS V12 Convertible (and U think the RE has maintenance issues...Ha!)

KC1961

• Bulleteer
Reply #152 on: March 19, 2016, 05:25:44 pm
It was an uncharacteristically nice morning here so I managed to sneak in my first half decent outing on the bike this year. Happy with the sound from the "sports exhaust" but will hopefully get a short megaphone sometime.

Farmer_John

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #153 on: March 19, 2016, 06:59:21 pm
It was an uncharacteristically nice morning here so I managed to sneak in my first half decent outing on the bike this year. Happy with the sound from the "sports exhaust" but will hopefully get a short megaphone sometime.

I'm going FROM A shorty mega TO the sports muffler.  I found the 17" Emgo harsh sounding and too loud, no matter how much or what I packed it with.
"It's not what you know, it's how well you reference what you don't"

"Ain't no hill too high for a mountain climber"

Words to succeed by...

Otto_Ing

Reply #154 on: March 25, 2016, 01:38:08 pm
Reshaped my chain guard... something was odd in the contour.

Does anyone have experience with Hydrochrome?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 02:13:56 pm by oTTo »

mevocgt

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #155 on: March 25, 2016, 09:26:08 pm
Paid mine a visit at the shop.  It's beginning final assembly!

Aus.GT

• Bulleteer
Reply #156 on: March 26, 2016, 03:32:36 am
Paid mine a visit at the shop.  It's beginning final assembly!

Excellent, Can't wait to see it going.
1988 Gilera Saturno 500
2014 Continental GT
1985 Ducati Mille S2

Farmer_John

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #157 on: March 27, 2016, 11:49:25 pm
I dreamed of being out on my favorite 2 lanes, squirting corner to corner with effortless precision.

But, I'm stuck in Ripon CA and far far away. Besides, the rest of the family was over for dinner and I'd have been feasting with them anyway...
"It's not what you know, it's how well you reference what you don't"

"Ain't no hill too high for a mountain climber"

Words to succeed by...

gavinfdavies

• Bulleteer
  • Noli Timere Messorem
Reply #158 on: March 30, 2016, 11:44:56 pm
I finally bit the bullet (groan  ::) ) and did a top end strip. Loads of carbon (surprise surprise) almost to the point of flaking off (8,000 miles)! Plug looked in good condition, if a touch pale.

The main purpose of this little expedition is to sort out the squish gap (or excess of). Measured at 2.2mm. Also discovered that a) the gaps in my two compression rings were both on the left side (great.... ) cue lots of carbon all down the left side of the piston and b) that F*ck me are these valves shrouded! Given that as stock we only get about 0.2" lift to play with (is that correct?) it seems crazy that about 1/4 of the circumference of each valve has a 2-3mm lip around it in the head! That job will have to wait for another day, as I don't have a valve spring compressor here, nor a dremmel etc to do the fettling with. One change at a time me thinks.

I'd also recommend that people regularly crack off, loosen, grease, and re-torque tighten the two exposed head fasteners. The one by the spark plug in particular was seized pretty bad, and require judicious application of a hammer and a drift to shock it enough to allow me to undo it.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #159 on: March 31, 2016, 01:25:04 am
 Have you considered using Seafoam or the like in the fuel to keep the carbon down ? 

No matter where you go, there, you are.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #160 on: March 31, 2016, 02:22:12 am
I finally bit the bullet (groan  ::) ) and did a top end strip. Loads of carbon (surprise surprise) almost to the point of flaking off (8,000 miles)! Plug looked in good condition, if a touch pale.

The main purpose of this little expedition is to sort out the squish gap (or excess of). Measured at 2.2mm. Also discovered that a) the gaps in my two compression rings were both on the left side (great.... ) cue lots of carbon all down the left side of the piston and b) that F*ck me are these valves shrouded! Given that as stock we only get about 0.2" lift to play with (is that correct?) it seems crazy that about 1/4 of the circumference of each valve has a 2-3mm lip around it in the head! That job will have to wait for another day, as I don't have a valve spring compressor here, nor a dremmel etc to do the fettling with. One change at a time me thinks.

I'd also recommend that people regularly crack off, loosen, grease, and re-torque tighten the two exposed head fasteners. The one by the spark plug in particular was seized pretty bad, and require judicious application of a hammer and a drift to shock it enough to allow me to undo it.

Don't worry about location of the ring gaps. They rotate during use, and could be at any random location when you take it apart. Just use opposite alignment, with no gaps on either thrust face, when you assemble. This helps avoid a bore scratch when first starting up, if it takes a while for oil to get up there.. After it runs, the gaps will be moving around all over the place.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #161 on: March 31, 2016, 12:12:02 pm
Be interested to hear the outcome of the squish project.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Otto_Ing

Reply #162 on: March 31, 2016, 01:18:20 pm

2.2 mm is fairly close to what I've found in my engine. Maybe if you scrape down the carbon you will be at same value as I have measuered.  ;) ;D

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #163 on: March 31, 2016, 01:24:54 pm

Weather in South Queensferry looks good. 8)
I was Molly Sugdens bridesmaid.

Spontaneity is the cure for best laid plans.
‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #164 on: March 31, 2016, 01:33:16 pm
Gavin,
That's why we are doing this chamber on our billet heads.

Regarding lift, the stock cams are .300" inlet, .280" exhaust.
The rockers have some ratio, but it seems to vary from one to the next. Maybe 1.15:1 to 1.2:1 might be the range.

The chamber does shroud the inlet particularly,  and it could be relieved a bit, and the compression restored by doing your squish mod.
Home of the Fireball 535 !