Author Topic: What did you do to your RE Continental GT today?  (Read 391046 times)

KC1961

• Bulleteer
Reply #135 on: March 14, 2016, 09:18:29 pm
Took it for 1st service (in a van). Will tax the bike in April, hopefully before then we can have a monsoon or two to wash the salt from the roads. I'm possibly being a tad optimistic here as it very rarely rains in Scotland. ::)
Changed mind about April, taxed it today. Removed oe horns and fitted a smaller horn under the tank

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #136 on: March 14, 2016, 10:30:09 pm
KC  - If the weather brightens up, you're riding!

ACE - I'm considering using velcro to stash a spare bulb in my seat cowling. There's a lot of space in there. I'm waiting for the rain to stop here.
ACE Motors - sales & administration

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #137 on: March 14, 2016, 10:38:35 pm
A guy and his wife just came over to me at the restaurant,  asking questions about the GT.
He knew what it was, and had read some reviews about it. He's mostly an ADV rider with a DR650, but he's intrigued with vintage type bikes. We talked about a half hour or so. Nice people.
Everyone asks about Royal Enfields. Great conversation starters!
 :)
Home of the Fireball 535 !

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #138 on: March 15, 2016, 08:10:13 pm
Today I did some more cleaning, and installed the 7" headlight kit with a halogen bulb that I had laying around from my Iron Barrel Bullet. Looks good on there, and it wasn't doing any good sitting in the closet.
Edit:
While I was in there, I pulled the headlight jumper, so that I can turn off the headlight at the switch when I want to.

Don't take this wrong Ace - but I just think it's wonderful the way you're talking about this bike with the same "honeymoon" enthusiasm we noobs did when we first bought ours...   ;D

But as we all know, it can hardly be said you're a noob when it comes to RE...  ;)

krusty

• Bulleteer
Reply #139 on: March 15, 2016, 08:39:45 pm
I stopped at a red light today, nothing unusual about that.
Then I heard the unmistakable sound of a "yoof" playing "toonz" through a rather loud car stereo. He pulled up alongside, the music was then heard to be distinctly "Bhangra".
The young Indian driver couldn't get his mobile phone out quick enough to snap my GT.
This made me smile. I gave him a thumbs up then proceeded with a bhangra sound track playing in my head for the rest of my ride.
These bikes really do spread a deep joy to many people, not just us lucky owners.
Krusty

Krusty

2015 RE Continental GT - Black
2016 RE Classic 500 - Lagoon Blue

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #140 on: March 15, 2016, 09:00:21 pm
Don't take this wrong Ace - but I just think it's wonderful the way you're talking about this bike with the same "honeymoon" enthusiasm we noobs did when we first bought ours...   ;D

But as we all know, it can hardly be said you're a noob when it comes to RE...  ;)
Yes,  I get just as much excitement over  getting a bike as anyone else does. Even after all these years, and all that Enfield work!
 ;D

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #141 on: March 15, 2016, 10:34:02 pm

Yes,  I get just as much excitement over  getting a bike as anyone else does. Even after all these years, and all that Enfield work!
 ;D

It is a bug, that has no cure  ;D

Who wants to be treated anyway  ;)!

CONGRATULATIONS TOM !   

PS - Ducati Scotty is always on this site - pinning for it too  :)!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 10:38:55 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #142 on: March 16, 2016, 03:23:41 am
Gave it a good clean after an epic ride (4 days, 2300 km) and found a broken spoke and muffler bracket.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #143 on: March 16, 2016, 04:47:34 am

Thanks guys!

I ordered the replacement tank lettering today from CMW.

KC1961

• Bulleteer
Reply #144 on: March 16, 2016, 04:03:27 pm
Fitted the RE "sports muffler", thought it felt heavy until I held it side by side with the oe silencer, that thing weighs a ton! Anyway, I spent the PCV money on a pair of silencers for my Bonnie so for the moment the bike will be as stock plus the new muffler, can anyone confirm that I'm right in thinking that the bike will be okay without any fuelling mods?
thanks.

Otto_Ing

Reply #145 on: March 16, 2016, 05:02:00 pm
Fitted the RE "sports muffler", thought it felt heavy until I held it side by side with the oe silencer, that thing weighs a ton! Anyway, I spent the PCV money on a pair of silencers for my Bonnie so for the moment the bike will be as stock plus the new muffler, can anyone confirm that I'm right in thinking that the bike will be okay without any fuelling mods?
thanks.

It may pop occasionally on deceleration.

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #146 on: March 17, 2016, 12:29:24 am
I bought a Honda brand H4 headlight bulb. It comes on a box. I put it in a baggie. Taped it around to make it waterproof. Velcroed it into the rear seat's cowling. Now I carry a spare headlight bulb.
  I weighed the stock silencer at 13.8 lbs. That's just about 1 stone.

krusty

• Bulleteer
Reply #147 on: March 17, 2016, 09:22:46 am
I tightened the spokes on the rear of my GT a few days ago. Checked the front today and had 1 very loose spoke so tightened that. The pulsing I was getting through the front brake at almost stop has now gone, so I guess I fixed that too!
Krusty
Krusty

2015 RE Continental GT - Black
2016 RE Classic 500 - Lagoon Blue

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #148 on: March 17, 2016, 12:32:35 pm
I bought a Honda brand H4 headlight bulb. It comes on a box. I put it in a baggie. Taped it around to make it waterproof. Velcroed it into the rear seat's cowling. Now I carry a spare headlight bulb.
  I weighed the stock silencer at 13.8 lbs. That's just about 1 stone.
HAve you had an issue with headlights going bad?

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #149 on: March 18, 2016, 02:02:31 am
ACE - No problems. My GT has the 7" unit. My VFR has 2 lights = 4 filaments. I just consider it a good idea to keep a spare, especially with a single bulb with 2 filaments. Plus, it's so easy to get the spare to fit into the seat cowl. I'm thinking of adding a rear light spare.
  I removed the rubber sound plugs from the head fins.