Author Topic: What did you do to your RE Continental GT today?  (Read 391126 times)

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #120 on: March 11, 2016, 06:12:29 pm
  Yesterday I got my real Conti GT back. It's running well again.
  Covers, seat and tank were off. I noticed the hose clamp on the fuel line at the injector was loose. That may have been a problem. My fueling was awful. Idle was hit and miss, mostly around 1000 rpm. It would be idling, then poof. It was like the plug was pulled, stopped. The fueling would surge and buck, and cut out.
  I put the PCV box in the tool bag box and ran all the wiring up from there. I got everything snapped together. I organized the maze of routings, injector cables, fuel line, all of it. Put in a zip tie here and there. There is no rat nest visible.
  The stock header is gone, replaced by the Carpy header I bought months ago. The angled Sportster muffler has been melting boot bottoms and my synthetic cloth cuffs of my pants. I added some exhaust wrap around it, using the stuff that came with the bike when I bought it. The Carpy header has no lower bracket for attachment to the frame lower. After the whole exhaust was bolted in, I wrapped a hose clamp around the pipe and the frame tube to replace the added stability of the lower bracket. I finished it off with one of those chrome covers from CMW to cover the plumbing at the header/muffler joint.
  I adjusted the idle up. Thanks, Arizoni, for posting that anti-clockwise raises the idle speed! I kicked it over, starting on the second kick. Raised the idle again. Took off for a test ride. Excellent fueling and idling at 1200 rpm. The motorcycle I bought is back, thumping like a clock. I feel much better now.
ACE Motors - sales & administration

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #121 on: March 11, 2016, 07:15:51 pm
Awesome.
Now is the beginning of the riding season!
Home of the Fireball 535 !

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #122 on: March 12, 2016, 10:14:10 am
I rode mine 1000km to Jindabyne in new south Wales. Some freakin' awesome roads up here  8)
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #123 on: March 12, 2016, 12:14:21 pm
Riding my GT into work today.

My new helmet came in the mail yesterday!
I also have Sunday off!

krusty

• Bulleteer
Reply #124 on: March 12, 2016, 01:26:44 pm
I also took my GT to work for the first time. 26 miles each way.
Sat at 55-60 mph, the bike felt totally solid and comfortable.  :D
Krusty

2015 RE Continental GT - Black
2016 RE Classic 500 - Lagoon Blue

Otto_Ing

Reply #125 on: March 12, 2016, 01:56:20 pm
Glad I don't have to work today.   ;D

Looked at it in the garage.   :)  Weather and bike are not there yet.  :'(
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 02:11:33 pm by oTTo »

KC1961

• Bulleteer
Reply #126 on: March 12, 2016, 06:29:11 pm
Took it for 1st service (in a van). Will tax the bike in April, hopefully before then we can have a monsoon or two to wash the salt from the roads. I'm possibly being a tad optimistic here as it very rarely rains in Scotland. ::)

Farmer_John

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #127 on: March 12, 2016, 08:59:45 pm
Took it for 1st service (in a van). Will tax the bike in April, hopefully before then we can have a monsoon or two to wash the salt from the roads. I'm possibly being a tad optimistic here as it very rarely rains in Scotland. ::)

I'm hoping to tax mine tomorrow.  As in taxing the limits of adhesion on a few backroads after finishing a couple spring projects on her...
"It's not what you know, it's how well you reference what you don't"

"Ain't no hill too high for a mountain climber"

Words to succeed by...

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #128 on: March 12, 2016, 09:59:33 pm
Got out for a second ride today. Still running good. Here's pics of the muffler wrap and chrome cover. And one of the ram mount, wrist watch...

gavinfdavies

• Bulleteer
  • Noli Timere Messorem
Reply #129 on: March 13, 2016, 12:09:30 am
Got out for a second ride today. Still running good. Here's pics of the muffler wrap and chrome cover. And one of the ram mount, wrist watch...

I had the same issue with the sports exhaust... first day with new pipe, second day with bike and brand new goretex textiles.... and I melted a damned great hole in the leg! I've got the same heat shield now, but set a little further back so that I don't need the wrap. And I wear leather trousers when I can. Also, I've gotten into the habit of keeping my leg resting on the end of the peg when standing, so I KNOW it's not touching the pipe! :)

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #130 on: March 13, 2016, 12:38:27 am
  Yeah, Gavin, it's kind of creepy to get off the bike and ask, what happened to my pants?! I'll take a look at the chrome guard. Maybe two will work? I don't like the raggedy thing, but I need to keep my boots and pants on. Plus, after the rubber/plastic melts it leaves itself on the pipe and muffler.
  I'll do some more pics. The Carpy header is looking better than the old stock header. The stock one had been wrapped in that ragged stuff. It turned the header dark.
  I believe I can ride on highways here. There are so many roads here, that you don't want to have a break down: interstates, parkway this and that. There's no 'pulling over'. We ain't got 'over' any where. But the motor is giving me a good feeling now.
  In certain ways, this bike is smooth, and I love it. I've ridden lots of machines. KAHLUNK would go my /7 BMW trans. Snick would go the notchy Japanese gear boxes. The GTs clutch and trans is invisible a lot of the time. Silent, no effort neutral finding. I can clutch and shift at times with no perception of any mechanical event. Sometimes the motor has a big vibe and sometimes it's remarkably smooth. I've got to get out and about at some of my old roads and see how it goes.

gavinfdavies

• Bulleteer
  • Noli Timere Messorem
Reply #131 on: March 13, 2016, 02:37:51 pm
I've done nothing to my RE today :( It's still in hibernation at home 150 miles away. Been out twice over winter on it, enjoyed both trip. I was amazed that it started via the electric boot first time having only been run once in the previous 4 months! The worst bit is that the weather is glorious today, gutted I can't get out and about on Lola (my GT - s/he looks like a woman but talks like a man!), but after I get back from my HONEYMOON on good Friday, I'll have a couple of days to play on her. I've got a new custom map to try out, can't wait.

Can't do too many miles, as she's due a service in the not too distant future.

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #132 on: March 14, 2016, 09:55:19 am
Off topic:

Waiting for bits and pieces to arrive for my GT. And while the waiting is so boring I've made a cigar box guitar.

https://youtu.be/lOUlgYCX_Uw

God I love this guys skill, natural talent.   Until my GT head arrives I might be able to play it little bit.  ;)
https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=UzeuJEKWwnQ
Hope you're practicing. :)

« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 10:01:20 am by malky »
I was Molly Sugdens bridesmaid.

Spontaneity is the cure for best laid plans.
‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

Otto_Ing

Reply #133 on: March 14, 2016, 10:21:50 am
https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=UzeuJEKWwnQ
Hope you're practicing. :)

So far I am more likely to be paid for NOT playing it...  ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-T5t4NWJ_s

...this one is fairly easy.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 10:24:23 am by oTTo »

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #134 on: March 14, 2016, 08:26:37 pm
Today I did some more cleaning, and installed the 7" headlight kit with a halogen bulb that I had laying around from my Iron Barrel Bullet. Looks good on there, and it wasn't doing any good sitting in the closet.
 :)
Edit:
While I was in there, I pulled the headlight jumper, so that I can turn off the headlight at the switch when I want to.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 11:59:01 pm by ace.cafe »