Author Topic: Meteor 350 Transmission issues  (Read 6158 times)

Charger1971

• Scooter
on: October 02, 2022, 01:21:57 pm
Just a heads up to those who have or are are considering getting a 350 classic or meteor, there seems to be a possible manufacturing defect with the transmissions in these motors and there are now at least 2 local cases of it.

I purchased a new 2022 meteor 350 over the summer and have put about 300 miles on it. As I was driving it I noticed that if I tried shifting from neutral or first and into second gear, it would pop out of second gear and go into neutral. At first it would do it occasionally but it progressively got worse until it started doing it all the time. If I hold the shifter up, release the clutch and then release the shifter, it will stay in second gear. If I don't do that, it's guaranteed to pop out of second.

Also on the display where it shows what gear your in, it will show a dash for neutral (which should show a 0) and a dash for second gear (which should show a 2).

All the other gears shift fine and show up properly on the display. Down shifting from 3rd to 2nd works fine as well. It's just up shifting from first and neutral into second gear.

And I'm not accidentally tapping the heel or toe shifter and putting it into neutral by mistake, I made sure of this by doing multiple test rides taking my foot competely away from the shifter and visually checking that my foot was nowhere near it.

I brought my bike brand new bike to the dealer to get it looked at. It took them 3 weeks to look at the bike (which I knew of and they warned me about in advanced because they're extremely backed up with service, so I'm not blaming them for that at all) and they've been working in the problem for over a month now. The delay is because they constantly have to coordinate with royal enfield for guidance on how to resolve the problem and they're not very prompt with their responses. I just got off the phone with the dealership yesterday, and they said that another bike was just brought in with the same exact problem that I was having so now they believe that they're is some sort of manufacturing defect that could possibly warrant a recall. They didnt specifically say what the issue was but they told me theyre trying to have royal enfield send them 2 full crate engines to replace the ones ones on our bikes. And there's no time frame on when this is going to get done, we're all just playing a waiting gane with royal enfield. That's just the dealership saying that so take it with a grain if salt.

Just made this account to share that info and vent because I've been without my new FIRST bike for almost 2 months now. I heard the quality of royal enfield was far better than it was in the past so I'm also disappointed that i got a problem bike. Also wondering if anyone else is experiencing this issue.

P.S. also If that wasn't enough the check engine light keeps coming on (common problem and nothing to worry about as I've seen) and the ABS light keeps coming on too... so much for quality  ::)

20MarkIII

• Grand Gearhead
  • East Central Indiana, USA
Reply #1 on: October 02, 2022, 02:56:46 pm
I'm very sorry to hear of your bad experience but applaud your Dealer for being honest about another bike with the same issue and they seem to be proactive about solving the problem. This kind of thing happens from time to time with any manufactured product.
My '21 Meteor has around 4500 miles now. It has been flawless. RE needs to be even more diligent in their factories with quality control and more expeditious in their warranty repairs. Good luck and hope you get this resolved very soon.

NuttyRusty

• Bulleteer
  • Little Snoring, United Kingdom
Reply #2 on: October 02, 2022, 03:09:41 pm
Hi Charger, this conversation / topic has been covered before, in both cases it's the Meteor version. The Classic has a direct lever to gearshift spindle connection, whose only malfunction can be the rider's footwear. I would hazard a guess it's more a problem with excessive movement than an actual gearbox failure. Your right returning to your supplying dealer, who should be able to confirm the problem.

Dexter

• Grand Gearhead
  • British Columbia, Canada
Reply #3 on: October 02, 2022, 10:37:13 pm
Charger,

See my reply regarding this issue to johnakay in his post "1st service".
Past rides:
1966 Honda 65 Sport
1967 Honda CB160
1973 Honda CB750
1982 Honda V45 Magna - the most uncomfortable bike I ever did a cross country tour on!
1983 Honda CB1000
1995 Honda ST1100 - sold 2015 after 175,000 km
1996 Honda ST1100
Current ride:
2021 Royal Enfield Stellar Blue Meteor 350