Author Topic: Tying a bullet down in a van/on a ferry  (Read 111 times)

stinkwheel

• Scooter
on: September 22, 2022, 01:44:28 pm
Having to replace the sidestand on my bullet after it got ratched-strapped until it snapped on a ferry the other weekend.

Got me thinking, these are quite awkward bikes to strap down and I was wondering what other strategies people are using?

On a lot of ferries, they just park bikes on the sidestand in gear then throw a big ratchet strap over the saddle and crank it down. I've had to stop them doing this over the top of a lycette style saddle a number of times. I'd be reluctant to allow them to do similar again after the latest performance.

I've had to stop a (professional) bike transporter trying to loop straps round the fork shrouds before today, which would not only have buckled them but also slipped down to the axle in short order.

When I put mine in the van, I generally either hook a ratchet strap onto each side of the handlebar or loop a strap round each fork above the bottom yoke then take another strap of two from the bottom run of the rear subframe to stop it rolling forwards.

On my trials bike, I fitted a lifting handle to each side (to give a good handhold to drag it out of ditches with) and just hook a ratchet strap to each of these. I'm considering doing similar to the road bike next time I go on a ferry and taking a couple of my own smaller ratchets.

How do you do it?

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #1 on: September 22, 2022, 03:02:23 pm
Usually in a pickup truck, all stands retracted. One pair of tie-downs in the front, attached to the handlebars at the lower bend. compressing the forks maybe 3" into the front of the truck bed. A second pair from the rear fender supports back to the truck bed rear attachment points. Normally I run a rope around the front of the front tire and secure it to both sides of the bed so it can't flop left or right. On a long trip I may even double up on the front tie downs.
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #2 on: September 22, 2022, 03:50:02 pm
I'm with AzCal, two sets of ratchet straps, in diagonal opposition.  To handlebar in front, because there's no frame point accessible, and I don't like putting side loads on fork tubes.  One thing I've done on a scooter that had no good tie down points in front, was to wrap a soft nylon rope around the head, then strap both sides from that rope.

At the rear, my RE Bullet and C5 have lots of accessible frame points.  I've made myself a half dozen short loops of soft 1" webbing, around 8 - 18" long, closed with water knots.  These can be snaked through narrow openings and around frame tubes to create secure tie off points that won't damage paint.  These short loops see a lot of use.   https://www.101knots.com/water-knot.html

I'll park a bike on it's side stand, place my straps, then lift it off the side stand with the straps on the right side, so it ends up only on its tires, like AzCal suggested.   I use the same strategy to tie a machine down for repair,  and alternately tweak it to left or right, depending on which side I'm working on.  Three straps in opposition is enough, in theory, to eliminate all movement.

One can generate a lot of force with tie downs.  My employer was having a problem with broken casters shanks on mobile carts.  I traced it to improper packaging.  When they strapped the units down to the pallet, the strap loads went into the top of the unit, preloading the casters.   Even a cardboard carton requires a little thought in its design.

Karl Childers

• Ghost in the machine.
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: September 22, 2022, 07:10:57 pm
Bullets in bondage, this is getting risque'.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #4 on: September 22, 2022, 07:31:06 pm
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.