Author Topic: 4-speed gearbox repairs  (Read 1139 times)

Lorenzo

• Scooter
on: September 21, 2022, 09:50:20 am
I am about to replace the layshaft (bronze) bushes in a 4-spd. box.
Anyone have thoughts or sage advice about orientation of the lubrication groove ?
(The drive side bush in this particular box had the groove at approx. 9.30 clockwise, and has suffered significant wear diametrically opposite.)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2022, 09:58:35 am by Lorenzo »

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #1 on: September 22, 2022, 03:11:01 am
I'd put them at the bottom myself. I run oil, it should ooze up in there and circulate just fine.
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

stinkwheel

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: October 05, 2022, 10:02:02 pm
If the originals are iron, just be aware it's not a foregone conclusion that the old ones will come out willingly!

I even made a puller for the kickstart shaft one using a large rowlbolt screwed into the bushing and a piece of steel tube as a spacer to try to wind it out. Even with a load of heat it refused. I landed up drilling down the centre with a blacksmiths drill then breaking the remaining shell out into the middle with a cold chisel. Then the new bushing contracted so much after fitting that the shaft wouldn't fit and I had to make up a sort of flap wheel with emery cloth in a slotted tube to hone the ID slightly.

Took me almost all day.