Author Topic: Replacement of Voltage Regulator on my 535 (2015)  (Read 1226 times)

Mad dog

• Scooter
on: September 10, 2022, 07:46:10 pm
Hi All,  I am have trouble with my electric starter.  The workshop has it down to the “Voltage Regulator”. In my search for parts I can only find RR unit Three Phase Capacitor.  I have attached my offending part for viewing. 

Is this the same thing?

And can anyone recommend a reliable parts supplier?

Many thanks in advance.

Mad Dog

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #1 on: September 10, 2022, 09:05:27 pm
If your issue is the electric starter than it's unlikely due to the voltage regulator. The starter is operated through a ralais that connects it directly to the battery and the Relais is operated through the starter button on your handlebar. Than weather the starter button has power or not is determined in your main key switch.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #2 on: September 10, 2022, 10:15:06 pm
Reliable parts supplier? Hitchcock's has everything you need, generally only 2-5 days to your door, depending on where on this planet you live. They also have downloadable manuals, tools, bling, etc. The amazing part to me is the thoroughness of the website and the availability of solid, experienced, real-human assistance.

https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/31288?qty=1&continue_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com%2Fpartsbook-pages%2F4096
PART No. 585632; REGULATOR/RECTIFIER UNIT 3 PHASE (GT) with a 3 pin connector and a 2 pin connector; £70.00

There's no info on the year of your GT535 in your post, always helpful.

Do you have a VOM meter? How old is your battery? What happens to the battery voltage when the starter is operating? Down to 9V? Have you checked the ground cable attachment at both ends to verify there's actually a low resistance connection? Corrosion or a layer of paint will stop 12V cold.

As Derottone pointed out, the battery starts the bike. The Reg/Rec keeps the battery topped up and doesn't cook it whilst recharging. If you have a fully recharged battery, in good condition, the voltage should reliably be at least 10.5V - 11.5V while the starter is operating, going back to 13.5V - 15V once the bike starts. If you aren't seeing good voltage after the engine is running, then the Reg/Rec is suspect, but that won't stop the machine from starting.

If the battery is "tired" and has built up internal resistance thru chemical aging, it simply cannot deliver the necessary current. A new Reg/Rec won't solve that. A new battery can work wonders.

Get your VOM out, do some investigating, write down the results. Help us help you.

A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Mad dog

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: September 16, 2022, 07:13:36 pm
Thanks for the help here.  Much appreciated

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: September 19, 2022, 03:48:35 pm
The workshop has it down to the “Voltage Regulator”.
Mad Dog - Rather than be straight forward, someone decided to make a tech-y term for a regulator/rectifier. Your rotor/stator has three yellow wires. They connect to the R/R unit in any order. They output AC. They are interchangeable.
The R/R converts AC to DC. It discharges excess voltage and sends a 12v current out.
I have used this unit on several bikes. I will use one on my B5 eventually. These are the best RR units.
The RE set up is fairly simple. The boss at Roadster Cycle will help you.
https://www.roadstercycle.com
ACE Motors - sales & administration