Author Topic: What is the chance of a 500 cc J engine  (Read 291 times)

1forgotit

• Neophyte
on: September 10, 2022, 12:57:01 am
I would like to think, very likely
Bikers are already adapting Himilyan parts to the 'J' engine to up the capacity.  RE must see this as a possibe reliability question and a call for a larger 500, now with the release of
BSA 650 single
Adapting the 'J' engine to 500 cc would seem no major problem nor expense
You can probably add 6 mm stroke with the std flywheels, con rod length ?  piston diameter, rework on the cyl head is minor, and extra finnig on the barrel and possibly cyl head, easy and engine management unit is a doddle
HERES HOPING

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #1 on: September 10, 2022, 03:47:12 pm
Hitchcock's already have a Meteor Big Bore kit in the works, likely a piston & barrel. Maybe early 2023. Meteor stroke is already nearly 90mm.

RE has always just expanded the lineup with a bore job, so it's highly possible a 500 Meteor (the "Singularity"?) is already a done deal. Every media report mentions how the Meteor "feels like a much bigger bike". The 650 is apparently slated to go to 850cc's. That's already been done on the aftermarket to good effect.

The question I have is if the new liquid cooled 450 will supplant the existing air cooled 411 Himalayan motor.  Maybe they feel that "Modern is modern" and there's no downside for them in sales to curtail the air cooled motor for an LC version, especially one with way more beans. We'll see; I'm of the opinion that a 370 pound, 40 HP, 6 speed machine in road-worthy "Scram" & dual purpose "Himalayan" variants for a very reasonable price ($5,000 ??) would find a ready market.

A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #2 on: September 11, 2022, 12:31:23 pm
The story circulating at the time the UCE500s were killed off was that the factory could no longer get the old two-valve 500 engine through increasingly tough emissions regulations. You would hope they could now have worked out a way to get a 500 single back in some form on the new platform, at least for the export markets.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #3 on: September 11, 2022, 02:47:24 pm
H's came up with a pushrod 4-valve head that allows for a better combustion chamber shape. The 2-valve OHC Himalayan and Meteor both pass. My money's on the OHC motors cheaper production costs were the actual driver.
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.