Poll

My light switch is blanked off on handlebars. Lights are on all the time bike is running

Missing light switch
0 (0%)
No light switch on handlebars
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Missing light switch on handlebars  (Read 829 times)

Deswelham

• Scooter
on: September 08, 2022, 05:46:03 pm
No light switch on handlebars. Lights are permanently on with engine running. Is this normal and if so can I switch them off if needed

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #1 on: September 08, 2022, 08:34:37 pm
If you live in a place where lights on when running is the rule, your bike won't have the switch.

Or it'll have the switch but it won't work.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #2 on: September 08, 2022, 11:44:29 pm
Gizzo beat me to a response. No surprise really, as he's "down under" and already up wrestling his 3rd wallaby or teaching dingos to waltz while my lazy ass is still in the sack. But anyhow, here's a belated welcome to the Forum!

It sounds like you have one of the later model bikes where they just blanked off and removed the light switchery. With slightly earlier models like mine, an '05 Bullet, they just used a bit of electrickery to bypass it with an easily removed clump of wiring commonly known as a "dogbone connector" (plenty on this in the Forum Archive). A scofflaw like me could just remove it, flaunting Department of Transportation regulations and the laws of man, click the remaining connections together, and presto! Switch functionality would be fully restored.

Sadly, it sounds like your path to full lighting control may be a more troublesome and rockier one. If it were me, I'd just leave it as-is and run with the light forever ablaze. But if you're at all talented in electrickery this old thread may help: https://forum.classicmotorworks.com/index.php?topic=28453.msg325816#msg325816, especially the link therein to the section on lighting switchery of James Smith's 'Classic Motorcycle Electrics Manual'.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2022, 11:55:16 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #3 on: September 09, 2022, 04:18:18 am
Headlight load is a minimal issue and an illuminated lamp increases your visibility to cage drivers. An LED bulb will reduce system load and have a longer service life.
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Deswelham

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: September 09, 2022, 08:43:22 am
Thanks guys. Mine is a 2018 so one of the last. Don’t have problems running with lights on but was interested if a design thing or someone modified it. Thanks for all your help.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #5 on: September 09, 2022, 05:22:56 pm
That's a sharp looking bike in the black--traditional yet sort of "modern" in that livery.
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.