Author Topic: Same woodsman another gremlin,  (Read 813 times)

harleykenn

• Scooter
on: August 18, 2022, 03:01:19 pm
Fitted the new starter relay. pressed the starter and it turned over, was still only firing when i released the starter, but at least it was turning over,    tried it again couple of hours later pressed the starter  turns over release the starter still turning over, flick starter switch several times still turning over, press kill switch, still turning, turn off ignition,  still turning!   Any ideas?
                                       Earlier i checked the sidestand switch as was suggested, but someone has already cut the wires off, but i couldn't find them,  i also checked the clutch switch thingy on the lever, theres no power to any of the wires wether turning over or not. Not sure what that means as it's has always started without pulling the clutch in.
Ken.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #1 on: August 18, 2022, 05:44:13 pm
Starter relay stuck/welded internally
Starter PB stuck/welded internally

On the WD (wiring diagram) the start relay from the factory grounds thru the neutral switch or clutch switch. IF it has been permanently grounded to earth(-) (that's a good thing) you need to know that.

What kind of VOM are you using? What wiring diagram are you using?

someone has already cut the wires off, but i couldn't find them
Why not? Get a strong light in there. Use the WD and figure out what they used to attach to and/or where they came from. You don't need possibly ragged sawn-off wires hanging about. The sidestand switch is on/off. Without seeing the switch I can't say whether the wires need to be shorted or open to make up the TCI permissive. Others already likely know from experience, or you can try both conditions yourself and see what works.

i also checked the clutch switch thingy on the lever, theres no power to any of the wires wether turning over or not.
Get out the WD, VOM and dig in. Find out if the clutch switch has been bypassed. It'll have (+) to earth only when the start PB is pushed.
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

richard211

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: August 18, 2022, 06:24:42 pm
Could it be the spark delay unit playing up?