Author Topic: tired shocks?  (Read 853 times)

sjbiat

• Bulleteer
on: July 26, 2022, 09:58:57 pm
My shocks have acquired a squeak.  Actually its more of a groan, heard when I get on the bike.  Can anyone tell me what that usually means?

Thanks,

-Stephan
stephan
09 C5 with Cozy sidecar now
formerly
97 Motoguzzi
94/02 Ural
85 BMW R80
64 BMW R60/Hollandia/Steib
61 BMW R69/Watsonian
60 Pugeot

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: July 26, 2022, 10:32:24 pm
Tired springs, perhaps?  ???
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #2 on: July 27, 2022, 12:10:24 am
Well 'sjbiat', seeing as how your avatar photo shows you fording some river, I'm gonna guess you might also just have some crusty and complaining shock bushings. From the automotive world there's a wonder goop called "AT-205 Re-Seal" made by ATP. It's normally used as a seal rejuvenator to button down automatic transmission or power steering leaks, but some folks have used it to cure squeaky suspensions by just generously spraying or dripping it onto the bushings and letting them marinate a bit. It's a little pricey at about $20, but less than a fresh pair of shocks. Thing is, unlike WD-40 or other lubes, it's a polymer liquid that contains no petroleum distillates, which might possibly do your rubbery bushings no favors in the long run. Here's an Amazon link if you want to check it out: https://www.amazon.com/ATP-AT-205-Re-Seal-Stops-Bottle/dp/B000NVW1LM

You might also do well to make sure that all that squeaky moaning, which I might otherwise personally find highly gratifying in other aspects of life, isn't being emitted from the often-neglected swing arm bushings.

Or, you could just throw caution to the wind, slop those shock bushings with whatever lube is handy, and as they often advised in the Haynes Book of Lies  of yore, "observe effect on performance."
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

CHURCHILL

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: July 27, 2022, 08:33:35 am

I agree with the lubricating side of things, I have just done mine when fitting a new pair of Hagon shocks, I was never happy with the originals   

sjbiat

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: September 01, 2022, 07:13:44 pm
I put on Hagon shocks, and indeed ride was much improved.  However, it didn't cure the groan, which is apparently from the swingarm bushings.  Since there's no play, I'll ignore it

I took it to my local RE dealer, Locomotion Power Sports.  They installed the shocks (& changed the rear tire), but the Service Manager said not to come back.  Their policy is not to service machines more than 10 years old!!  Shocking.
stephan
09 C5 with Cozy sidecar now
formerly
97 Motoguzzi
94/02 Ural
85 BMW R80
64 BMW R60/Hollandia/Steib
61 BMW R69/Watsonian
60 Pugeot

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: September 01, 2022, 08:53:53 pm
I put on Hagon shocks, and indeed ride was much improved.  However, it didn't cure the groan, which is apparently from the swingarm bushings.  Since there's no play, I'll ignore it

I took it to my local RE dealer, Locomotion Power Sports.  They installed the shocks (& changed the rear tire), but the Service Manager said not to come back.  Their policy is not to service machines more than 10 years old!!  Shocking.

I heard the same thing from a SF Bay Area BMW dealer.  >:(
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: September 03, 2022, 02:45:32 pm

Haul it down to Cycles of Silver Spring, Silver Spring, MD. They'll work on any Royal Enfield.
ACE Motors - sales & administration