Author Topic: "Rocker" Bullet 535  (Read 14105 times)

StreetKleaver

• Grease Monkey
on: February 04, 2022, 10:38:34 am
Hi guys. I'm Ben from Queensland, Australia. Background is Hot Rods, Kustom Kulture and few custom bikes over the years. Been riding and racing bikes for 25 years. Mainly Enduro and the odd motocross but always had a soft spot for British and classic motorcycles thanks to my late grandfather.
Mechanical Fitter and Boilermaker are my trades, so it goes somewhat hand in hand with my hobbies!  :D

2004 Bullet "E" 500 with 5 Speed Box.

The current specs of it thus far.

Stock Head, Valves, Cams.
Hitchcocks Accralite 535cc +20 piston.
Alloy Barrel.
Hitchcocks Steel rod, roller big end.
All Bottom end bearings replaced with Japanese bearings.
Genuine Mikuni VM32.
Modified Rectangular airbox (larger intake ID) all fully seal TIG welded with DNA filter.
Pazon Electronic Ignition.
Hitchcocks larger pump discs, spindle and worm gear.
The rocker feed pipe lower single section has been replaced with a larger ID pipe to take advantage of this.
A "Bun Breather" style Breather system and separate timing chest Breather filter all with non return valves
5 speed box.
Hitchcocks 5 plate clutch kit.
Gearing is 19/38.

Day I got it :)

First issue of the bat was a crack that had formed in the front rim.

A friend in the Royal Enfield club had a NOS front hub and spoke set. So I whipped up a frame, spun up on the lathe some axle centers and got to work. Manage to true the wheel under 15 tho each way. Good enough for something that probably won't see 100mph!

Next came sorting out the breathers. All breathers bar the crankcase breather hose was blocked off by the previous owner, Which was not good for the gaskets and seals. This thing leaked like a siv.

Got the Hithchcocks crankcase breather/oil return kit.

TIG welded up the old airbox which now is a toolbox and mounted a bulk head fitting and breather filter for the timing chest. This is based off the "Bunn Breather" System. The timing chest breather the Non return valve allows the breather to draw air in through the Filter mounted in the toolbox but doesnt allow oil to be pumped out of the breather.

Also fitted anew seat, I had to turn up some bosses and a hinge for it. But turned out like it belongs there. :)

Nex came the DNA filter for the rectangular airbox. I also welded a larger ID neck onto the airbox along with fully seal TIG welding the whole thing.

Mounted the Genuine Mikuni VM32, also had to turn down the mounting flange, countersink the bolts and use a genuine Mikuni Rubber. To get the carburetor closer to the engine since the cable was having clearance issues but now fits a very snug fit!

Photo of the sealed airbox, back from the powder coaster. All mountedup looking like it belongs there.

Fitted the Hitchcocks oversize pump discs, worm gear and spindle kit. Felt like an age to lap those in!
But what always bothered me was the lower section of the feed pipe. The lower barb fitting that screw into the case is a larger ID than the actual lower section of the feed pipe. So I matched the ID of the case fitting to a new lower section of feed pipe which would be major restriction.

Old vs New Lower section of rocker feed pipe.

Now this was a odd material, I ended up TIG brazing the pipe in, no leaks or cracks! Here's the end result after giving it a light sand to get the chrome coating off.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2022, 10:58:51 am by StreetKleaver »
59 Club UK/Australia
Instagram : @modern_day_rocker

StreetKleaver

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: February 04, 2022, 10:40:21 am
The "Tail Up" Look always bothered me. So I did something about it. More time behind the TIG with some Stainless fender struts mounted to the Swing Arm. This went through a few iterations till I rubber mounted the guard to the stainless fender Struts.

Before.

After.

One of the struts cracked. So more was added.

Most original parts were re-used. This is the lower section of the rear guard cut down, with some nuts welded to it. So the rear guard is still very easy to remove. Just unplug the loom, 2 m6 bolts and the lower shock nuts and the whole guard comes off. It's actually easier to remove the rear tyre than the standard setup.

After an extra strut, stiffening bracket and more TIG welding.

And finally after adding some rubber grommets and crush tubes. Mounting the fender to the swing arm gives it that classic look even more so, but really does cop punishment from vibration as the suspension works.

7 Rubber Grommets in total in the whole mounting setup. I've rode it about 1000km's so far with this setup and so far its been solid as a rubber mounted rock.

This job was not particularly fun.
Got a brand new loom. Fixed/Upgraded anything that required on the loom. So of the power and earth wires were just crimped. For example 5x 2.5mm wires going into a single 2.5mm wire with a tiny copper crimp. I replaced the single wire with a 4mm wire and better sorted the multiple wires going into the4mm, flux, soldered and double shrink wrapped. A lot of the bullet connectors were cut off and replaced with Deutsch Plugs. They are a bit bulky, but waterproof and probably the best thing to use automotive wise.

Tucked in the toolbox out of the weather. Pazon Ignition, Lucas Coil, LED flasher relay, Blade fuse holder. All can be unplugged and toolbox removed.

Next came this modification. Converting the A/C headlight circuit to DC and adding a Capacitor.
Side by side is the Lucas Rec/Reg for the Ignition/Blinkers/Horner/Parkers/Tailight and charging circuit.
The lighter colour is just a ebay sourced singal phase Rec/Reg for converting headlight from A/C to D/C.

Capacitor takes the flicker out of the newly added LED Headlight.

Video to go along with it --->https://youtu.be/x-k6eRHzD08<---
« Last Edit: February 04, 2022, 10:49:41 am by StreetKleaver »
59 Club UK/Australia

StreetKleaver

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: February 04, 2022, 10:44:50 am
Finally getting close to where its right now.

I nabbed one of these B5 Classic under seat covers off ebay cheap. Gave it a test fit. Definitely wasn't satisfied with the fit.

After some arts and crafts along with some metal sewing...

Nearly there.

Like a Bought One!

59 Club UK/Australia

StreetKleaver

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: February 04, 2022, 10:46:41 am
Another Little modification no one will notice..

59 Club UK/Australia

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #4 on: February 04, 2022, 11:05:14 am
Hi Ben,

a load of your pictures are invisible! I tried looking at this page in two different browsers.

Haven't seen a mention of the Bunn breather system for ages, very much a mid-naughties thing.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

StreetKleaver

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: February 04, 2022, 11:06:21 am
Hi Ben,

a load of your pictures are invisible! I tried looking at this page in two different browsers.

Haven't seen a mention of the Bunn breather system for ages, very much a mid-naughties thing.

A.

I cam across a article and documentation of the setup for a Bullet. So I just made up my own version of it.

Ahh google photos might be not playing the game. The GT535 is fine?

***Edit, I had to change a privacy setting** Should work now.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2022, 11:12:01 am by StreetKleaver »
59 Club UK/Australia

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #6 on: February 04, 2022, 12:25:14 pm
Seeing 'em just fine now.

If you look at pictures of the Redditch-built Indian Apache 700 twin from 1957/8, you'll see that they also experimented with swinging arm-mounted rear mudguards. Never caught on back then, people were happy with the tail-up look, I guess!

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Mr_84

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: February 04, 2022, 12:30:16 pm
Holy sh*t that's a lot of custom work! Nice  😎👍

Raymond

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: February 04, 2022, 12:39:29 pm
Good work, nice looking bike, hope it rides as good as it looks!
In the garage:
2007 Kawasaki W800 SE Polly
1978 Yamaha XS650 Miss November
2003 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Deluxe

Karl Childers

• Ghost in the machine.
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: February 04, 2022, 03:43:48 pm
Thoughtfully conceived and well executed, all those modifications came off well. Very nice!

Paul W

• Grand Gearhead
  • 350 Bullet Electra (Indian home market).
Reply #10 on: February 04, 2022, 03:53:20 pm
Surely the mudguard, being attached to the swing arm, has considerably increased the unsprung weight.  ;)
Paul W.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #11 on: February 04, 2022, 05:45:56 pm
Beautiful work! Something for us "hammer mechanics" to aspire to, good to know what's possible. Well done!
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #12 on: February 04, 2022, 06:59:47 pm
My hat's off to you. That is some FINE work!
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

StreetKleaver

• Grease Monkey
Reply #13 on: February 04, 2022, 10:27:06 pm
Thanks for the comments chaps. My goal is to stick to proportional "lines" that highlight it's classic design. So mounting the guard on the Swing-arm gives it the classic hardtail look of that era.
I'm 6ft, the seat took to minor adjustments to get in the right spot, Also I went through 3 sets of handlebars just to get the natural feeling when seated. The bars are low and forward enough but without feeling like I'm starting to learn forward. So most of all the things are done so the bike fits me well.

The down and forward proper cafe treatment will get done to my GT535 and similar "era" inspired aesthetics and hand fabricated stuff will get done to that.

Good work, nice looking bike, hope it rides as good as it looks!

Certainly does mate. I have a 2014 GT535 and it leaves that thing behind!

A older picture but I like to get her as low as possible around corners. Sometimes sparks fly. The center stand ends drag and throw sparks. Once they wear down a bit I'll weld some Bis plate ends on there. ;)

59 Club UK/Australia

StreetKleaver

• Grease Monkey
Reply #14 on: February 04, 2022, 10:49:18 pm
Since the whole build is not in the order. Here's something else I missed.

The tail light assembly from previous owner while the idea was ok, the execution was to be desired. A little rough.
It had a cheap Ebay Miller tail light and some duck poo welds holding everything together.  With that HUGE plate with everything screwed to it.

After some chin scratching and visualizing. Once again I took to it with my grinder and TIG welded it all back up, metal finished it and fitted a Lucas 525 tail light.
The big chrome indicators did not stay there long.

Some Black indicators, mounted a little lower. LED bulbs.

59 Club UK/Australia