Author Topic: Recommended front tire pressure ???  (Read 7856 times)

George Baker

• Scooter
on: October 11, 2014, 04:17:21 pm
Greetings,
     Thumbing through my new GT owners manual the other day (it did not come with the bike which I have had for two months now). Anyway, I noticed the recommended front tire pressure is 20psi. Is it just me or does that seem somewhat low. Having set up many many new bikes of different makes over the years I have never seen such a low recommended pressure on any street bike. I have thought something like 28psi would be more in order. Has anyone out there played around with different pressures, if so what did you find?

GB

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 04:30:39 pm
This has been a subject of great debate since the UCE bikes came out.
The only consensus is that you should inflate to what seems best to you.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Jellyroll

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 05:47:47 pm
Look on the tire sidewall. Use the manufacturers' recommended PSI. Deflate a half pound at a time for more bite/slower steering, inflate a pound at a time for extra weight such as gear, a fine filly or that burrito you shouldn't have eaten
You Are
What You Do
When It Counts

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 12:01:02 am
The problem with using "the manufacturers recommended PSI" is it is usually the MAX recommended pressure the tire can handle.

It often is much higher than the pressure the motorcycle manufacturer recommends and it almost never is the pressure that gives the best ride or control.

The Royal Enfields were designed in an age where a 20 psi front and 24 psi rear tire pressure was common, even for bikes like the Triumph and BSA (and Royal Enfield) 650 + cc twins.

I suggest sticking with Royal Enfields recommendation until it proves to be a problem.
Engineers don't just pick a number out of the air before making a tire pressure recommendation.  There is always a lot of hours of test riding involved.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

motorman2whel

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 10:08:44 pm
"the tire manufacturers PSI on the sidewall of the tire" is the MAX recommended pressure the tire can handle. 
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 06:00:56 am by motorman2whel »

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 10:39:48 pm

Engineers don't just pick a number out of the air before making a tire pressure recommendation.  There is always a lot of hours of test riding involved.

Even if they did make a rational and/or road-tested choice, it's likely based on Indian conditions...40-50mph over questionable roads.

JohnDL

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: October 15, 2014, 10:14:18 am
The same discussion is going on on Hitchcocks forum:

http://www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/viewforum?currentpageref=&function=viewthread&forumref=14427&threadref=14427&currentforumpage=&currentforumorder=

20psi does seem low, but all the tyre manufactures say to follow the owners handbook tyre pressure recommendations.

John

cafegtgirl

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: October 16, 2014, 02:56:54 am
I will not get into a pissing match, but being a certified Honda tech for over 35 years and professionally working on RE's for over three years, listen to what the manufacturers say about tire pressure. They design the bikes and understand the loading and handling characteristics better than the public. You can run any pressure you desire for whatever reason, but don't complain about handling or wear issues and then blame it on a poorly designed bike.
Buell(EBR) had the right idea a few years back. Being a small company with a limited number of models, they were able to check most all sport tire offerings on their bikes and found the best overall tire to run. I switched to their suggestion, and pressure settings, and have gotten excellent performance and wear.
2021 GT 650
2016 Triumph Street Triple RX
2014 Continental GT
2004 Buell Firebolt XB12R
1998 Honda VFR 800
1998 Buell Thunderbolt S2
1997 Buell Lightning S1
1994 Honda VFR 750
1991 Honda CBR1000
1988 Honda CBR1000 Huricane
1985 Honda VT1100 Shadow
1985 Honda Helix
1983 Honda VF750F Interceptor #96

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: October 17, 2014, 01:17:46 am
I will not get into a pissing match, but being a certified Honda tech for over 35 years and professionally working on RE's for over three years, listen to what the manufacturers say about tire pressure. They design the bikes and understand the loading and handling characteristics better than the public. You can run any pressure you desire for whatever reason, but don't complain about handling or wear issues and then blame it on a poorly designed bike.
Buell(EBR) had the right idea a few years back. Being a small company with a limited number of models, they were able to check most all sport tire offerings on their bikes and found the best overall tire to run. I switched to their suggestion, and pressure settings, and have gotten excellent performance and wear.

+1

Take the C-5 for example with the Avon Roadriders.   Very stiff side walls and very round profile.  The 18 to 20 front and 24 to 28 works fine, and has been used for many years on these bike.  That lower front pressure, also gets the riders weight more forward, which also tends to have stabilizing effect on the frame.   If you run higher pressures with these tires , with the same rider it tends to have the opposite effect..... especially with the earlier C-5's.

The same rider on the same bike, installing BT 45's , found those low pressures NO good. A lot of wheel hop and a lot of bounce in the front end.  He wound up in the area of 30 front and 34 rear. And the bike performed like the Roadriders that had the lower pressures.  Different tire with a different make up  and side wall....I guess.   So Yeah, I think the engineers DO test things with the brand, size and model tire that comes on the bike stock.  Because they can't know or test all possible options out there on the market.

An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

John Flatt

• Scooter
  • Riding since 1965 and still loving it
Reply #9 on: July 23, 2022, 04:40:22 am
My R/E owners manual say front 32psi rear 36psi
past rides:
Norton Dominator 500 twin, Mod 7
Yamaha RD250 LC
Yamaha RD350 LC
Yamaha XJ 750
Honda VF750
Honda VF1000R