Author Topic: New Continental GT Owner  (Read 10408 times)

colorado_conti_gt

• Scooter
Reply #30 on: October 16, 2015, 05:16:39 am
Bought the black GT in early May. I have not had one ounce of trouble with this bike, over 1000 miles now. Do get the end mirrors from the dealer or Nfield gear. I think that they are almost a must have.

Thanks for the heads up on the mirrors! How about cold starts? Only thing I am noticing is that the batt light comes on when I turn the key. The bike trys to turn over but usually needs a few cranks and some gas. After it turns over for 5 seconds or so, the batt light goes off. I am guessing this is normal? It even acts like a vintage bike, love it!
2015 Continental GT - Black

skyfli

• Bulleteer
Reply #31 on: October 16, 2015, 05:16:54 am
The bar end mirrors are very good, no vibration at all.

Yep that sounds just like mine, take a bit to start when cold.
My light does the same also.
Like you say very vintage.
Tony from Redcliffe Qld Australia.
Continental GT 2015

SSdriver

• Grease Monkey
Reply #32 on: October 16, 2015, 02:29:52 pm
The battery is discharging while running the starter, so Yes, the light comes on. The GT is a hard starter until completely broken in.  The older mine gets the easier it starts. Usually on first crank.  It doesn't hurt to have a PCV.

...Jimmy
2014 CGT
Stage One Kit and a bunch of other stuff.
1994 Jag XJS V12 Convertible (and U think the RE has maintenance issues...Ha!)

colorado_conti_gt

• Scooter
Reply #33 on: October 18, 2015, 06:16:52 am
Thanks for the heads up!

How about idle vibration? I've noticed and read about a fair amount of vibration at higher speeds but my continental has developed a fair amount of vibration at idle and through first. So much so that it shakes my license plate. Anyone else notice this?

Lastly, my continental has also started a high pitch whistle / whine when showing down. Thought it was the breaks at first but I've noticed it even when not applying the breaks.

Thanks in advance for the help!
2015 Continental GT - Black

REvs

• Scooter
Reply #34 on: October 18, 2015, 06:27:40 am
I found the ngk plug helps with starting. First or second crank when cold.

Once broken in my bike runs much much smother.
14 Continental GT, 73 Suzuki TC125

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #35 on: October 18, 2015, 07:35:41 pm
colorado_conti_gt
Assuming the CGT is like other Royal Enfields, your motorcycles vibration might be due to a cracked/broken/loose "head steady".

That is the bar that connects to the rear of the cylinder head and extends towards the rear, up to the frame where it is bolted on.

The other thing that can greatly increase engine vibration is a loose or broken engine mount bolt.
These connect the lower part of the engine to the frame and if one is broken or loose the engine will shake a lot.

On the standard RE's, several people (including me) have had one of these lower bolts fail.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

al_the_van_man

• Scooter
Reply #36 on: October 18, 2015, 08:19:34 pm
I found an engine mounting bolt loose after 100 miles!  Part of the charm to check over Your bike regularly and keep some m8 lock nuts handy!

Benno

• Neophyte
Reply #37 on: February 03, 2021, 01:23:03 am
 :) Hello!
I just saw your post (newbie here) and love the mirrors.  Could you let me know which brand they are and where I might get them.  Also, how's the vibration?  Thank you in advance!

hpwaco

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #38 on: February 03, 2021, 02:38:58 am
Set of OEM style bar end mirrors from Cycle Gear solved my problem of not being able to see anything in the stock mirrors on my 14GT

Benno

• Neophyte
Reply #39 on: February 03, 2021, 04:33:52 am
Thank you for replying.  Can you share a photo, or perhaps send the link to the set you purchased?

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #40 on: February 03, 2021, 11:34:51 am

Thought it was the breaks at first but I've noticed it even when not applying the breaks.

C'mon, folks. Let's put the brakes on breaks. It's not that hard.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Karl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #41 on: March 25, 2021, 07:39:15 pm
No l don't know that particular one.