Author Topic: Dead revs explained  (Read 1293 times)

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
on: November 10, 2019, 10:21:35 pm
After reading this article I am still not sure what a "dead rev" is:  https://www.bikebandit.com/blog/dead-revs-explained   ???
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #1 on: November 11, 2019, 02:41:17 am
After reading this article I am still not sure what a "dead rev" is:  https://www. bikebandit.com/blog/dead-revs-explained   ???

Isn't that simply the same thing as what's built into the Green TCI (so-called spark delay) for the AVLs to avoid the kickback guaranteed to happen from that 1st spark before TDC before the engine has some inertia to carry it over the top?

Or are you just kidding that you're not sure  ???
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: November 11, 2019, 02:06:50 pm
No, I really wasn't too sure as I had never heard of a "dead rev" before and besides I have yet to see my first AVL in the flesh.  ;) Do our FI UCE engines have a dead rev when we kick them over?  Mine seems to start on the first kick - unless it doesn't and then it does feel dead until I can hit its self-starter button.   ???
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #3 on: November 11, 2019, 02:19:36 pm

Dead Revs Explained: How a Zombie Vicar Might Appear
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #4 on: November 11, 2019, 03:16:13 pm
No, I really wasn't too sure as I had never heard of a "dead rev" before and besides I have yet to see my first AVL in the flesh.  ;) Do our FI UCE engines have a dead rev when we kick them over?  Mine seems to start on the first kick - unless it doesn't and then it does feel dead until I can hit its self-starter button.   ???

That question is above my pay grade. I have no clue of the electronics of the UCEs except what I read and understand here. I know about the evolution of the AVL from Black TCI to Green TCI and what the spark delay was for, etc., etc., etc.. and I understand how my EI works.

I'm really a points, condensor, carburetor, coil-that-looks-like-a-coil, kind of dinosaur who has had to learn about his '08 AVL from these forums and from using my dinosaur brain (and the internet) and experience and logic and pragmatism and endless tweaking to learn what works and what doesn't to learn what I need to know to take care of this black bitch from day one since late '09 when I found it brand new. 

Substitute "dead rev" with "spark delay" and all is well   :) :)
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #5 on: November 11, 2019, 08:00:57 pm
The green TCI is a perfect example.

What you COULD do, tooseevee, is to find a late set of 500 iron barrel Bullet cases and move all AVL goodies over into it (one oilway to re-route, and another one to plug). Then you just wire that Petronix coil into the points assembly. I have been working on just such a beast, only the planned sparks will be from a gen-u-ine BT-H KC1 magneto with manual advance. Ignition like my dad's bikes had.  8)

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...