Author Topic: Greasing swingarm bearings / changing primary chain  (Read 1539 times)

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #15 on: December 27, 2023, 07:35:49 pm
Blue is for small screws. Red for bigger stuff. Red seems thicker and fills larger gaps. Then there’s the RC retaining compound to shore up loose bearings and shafts.

That's another way of looking at it.

But you'll still come across blue on larger fasteners. Shock mounting bolts and disc carrier bolts come to mind. Because you want to be able to undo those guys.

simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

GUNR

• Grease Monkey
Reply #16 on: December 29, 2023, 07:01:33 am
The exposed clutch nut is easy but the crank bolt goes in a long way. Innsy vs outsy.
Can I get into that crank bolt with a 3/8 drive socket, or isn't there enough room for that?
Riding a motorcycle is like life; it's about the journey not the destination.

Beeza

• Bulleteer
Reply #17 on: December 29, 2023, 06:44:07 pm
Can I get into that crank bolt with a 3/8 drive socket, or isn't there enough room for that?

I was referring to heating up the loctite to free it. The clutch nut is just a nut which you could easily heat with a propane torch, at the expense of the nyloc, which is pretty much useless anyway. The crank bolt goes deep inside the crank so would take a lot more time to heat, but it’s easy to get heat to.

I can’t recall the exact socket sizes, but there’s no problem. Use whatever implements you have at hand.

The good news is that once you’ve got a good chain and everything locked and tited, you can breathe easy and move on to more exciting subjects.