Author Topic: New member looking for first 650 Interceptor  (Read 3176 times)

Keasden

• Neophyte
on: February 19, 2020, 04:14:18 pm
Hello folks, I just registered as I've only recently discovered the RE Interceptor 650 and fallen in love with the looks and simplicity, plus every review I can find is very complimentary about the bike. 

I'm UK based and looking to order my bike asap.  I have an opening question for all you more knowledgeable folks, other than the petrol tank colour, are there any other differences between the Glitter and Dust and one of the single colour bikes, ie the orange or grey?  I know the Baker Express has black wheels, but from what I can see on pictures on the web the other bikes all seem the same apart from the tank colours?  The reason I ask is that I want the Chrome tank but not only is this £500 more than the plain colours, my local dealer says there is a longer wait for this version but he has the grey and orange in stock.  I can purchase a genuine RE Glitter and dust tank from India via eBay for £280 so not only could I get a bike sooner, i'd be saving £220 that I can spend on other parts for it!  Wheres the flaw in my devilish plan?  Thanks in advance for any help/advice you can offer.

Mav

• Bulleteer
  • Nottingham UK
Reply #1 on: February 19, 2020, 04:42:42 pm
Just be aware, when purchasing parts from India into the UK you will be charged VAT and import duty when they arrive!

Making the price of the tank not so cheap.
2023 Triumph Tiger 900 GT Pro
2019 Royal Enfield Interceptor

Keasden

• Neophyte
Reply #2 on: February 19, 2020, 04:51:01 pm
Thanks Mav, that's a very good point well made.  Even if I was only hit for basic 20% VAT that takes it to £338 and I'm guessing there could be other import charges to add too.  Maybe I'd be better not being so impatient and waiting for the bike thru my dealer.

jimku

• Grand Gearhead
  • Nampa, Idaho USA
Reply #3 on: February 19, 2020, 05:06:42 pm
Have you considered the Ravishing Red?
2019 Interceptor. 
I hope my tubeless wheels make you cringe. 8) https://www.dropbox.com/s/zobmpjq2gqtvypj/RE%20TIRE%20AND%20WHEEL.JPG?dl=0
Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.
https://youtu.be/GG5ghP8XLW8

johnm

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: February 19, 2020, 06:40:55 pm
I was told the wait for a glitter and dust is 4 to 6 weeks when I ordered mine in NZ. They come from Australia but mine arrived in just under 4, real glad I waited so pleased with the chrome look.
Jawa 175cc (1950)
Kawasaki 750 CSR (1982)
Royal Enfield Interceptor (2019)

Mav

• Bulleteer
  • Nottingham UK
Reply #5 on: February 19, 2020, 08:02:43 pm
Thanks Mav, that's a very good point well made.  Even if I was only hit for basic 20% VAT that takes it to £338 and I'm guessing there could be other import charges to add too.  Maybe I'd be better not being so impatient and waiting for the bike thru my dealer.

As long as the wait isn’t months, I think I would wait. I’m sure if you get your order in now, you would get it ready for the start of the season.
2023 Triumph Tiger 900 GT Pro
2019 Royal Enfield Interceptor

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: February 19, 2020, 09:46:28 pm
I put a deposit on an Orange tank bike....I left the dealership and regretted not getting the Chrome tank.

They had a chrome in stock...so I called  them and upgraded...$700 US......damn expensive...but my motto:  Pay up front for what you want and then you only cry once.

Yes, I am a sucker for shiny objects.

Cookie

Hello folks, I just registered as I've only recently discovered the RE Interceptor 650 and fallen in love with the looks and simplicity, plus every review I can find is very complimentary about the bike. 

I'm UK based and looking to order my bike asap.  I have an opening question for all you more knowledgeable folks, other than the petrol tank colour, are there any other differences between the Glitter and Dust and one of the single colour bikes, ie the orange or grey?  I know the Baker Express has black wheels, but from what I can see on pictures on the web the other bikes all seem the same apart from the tank colours?  The reason I ask is that I want the Chrome tank but not only is this £500 more than the plain colours, my local dealer says there is a longer wait for this version but he has the grey and orange in stock.  I can purchase a genuine RE Glitter and dust tank from India via eBay for £280 so not only could I get a bike sooner, i'd be saving £220 that I can spend on other parts for it!  Wheres the flaw in my devilish plan?  Thanks in advance for any help/advice you can offer.

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: February 19, 2020, 10:01:41 pm
I am now thinking the opposite-I have the glitter and dust/chrome and was actually thinking of buying the bakers expess interceptor as a second bike
one of my youtube subs mentioned why don't I just buy the bakers express tank from india and save the $$$ and just swap them over at will.
max that would cost me is roughly AU$660 for the tank which is very little $$'s so I have not ruled out that idea.
plus I've had the tank off once when I did my valve adjust video so I know what's involved in the swap too.

Cat3625

• Scooter
  • My need for speed
Reply #8 on: February 19, 2020, 10:45:46 pm
What's the quoted U.K.delivery time now for the glitter& dust model?
My Silver model took 9weeks,ordered in July,delivered September,I was crawling up the wall in frustration at not having it at the time but it was worth the long Waite in the end.
Be wary of ordering expensive stuff from India,they send it by D.H.L who stick on an admin charge +non eu import tax + 20% value added tax(vat) so comes to nearly dealer price as I discovered when ordering a tall fly screen.😩
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 10:48:58 pm by Cat3625 »
1966 Continental 250 GT
2001 Bullet 500 k/s
2002 Bullet 350 Trials
2008 Bullet 500 Classic electric start
2016 C5 Military 500 efi
2019 Interceptor 650
U.K.🇬🇧

beagle

• Grease Monkey
  • Australia
Reply #9 on: February 19, 2020, 10:53:22 pm
Just check if the tank offered has badges on it, will the fuel pressure pump have to be exchanged every time a swap is done and a few items like that. It may sound simple, but fuel level floats, seals etc aren't normally supplied with a tank. I have the chrome, and am glad I waited a few weeks for it, although there are some good tank trims around now to dress up a solid color.
Drink now....avoid the Xmas rush.
greetings from Brisbane, Australia

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #10 on: February 21, 2020, 12:17:42 am
My dealer only had grey. My least favorite "color". It isn't really a color. More like a placeholder until a color can be put on. So that's what I did. Custom paint in British Racing Green and yellow. About the same price difference as the chrome but there's not another one like it anywhere. ;D

jimku

• Grand Gearhead
  • Nampa, Idaho USA
Reply #11 on: February 21, 2020, 05:33:55 am
Looks pretty cool ... so long as you can keep John Deere tractors out of your head.  :)
But it is certainly differeent.
Very nice pic by the way.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 05:42:50 am by jimku »
2019 Interceptor. 
I hope my tubeless wheels make you cringe. 8) https://www.dropbox.com/s/zobmpjq2gqtvypj/RE%20TIRE%20AND%20WHEEL.JPG?dl=0
Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.
https://youtu.be/GG5ghP8XLW8

Ove

• Grease Monkey
Reply #12 on: February 21, 2020, 08:48:30 am
I like, very in-period. Like a lotus 7.

I used similar scheme on my z900rs.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 10:23:07 pm by Ove »

BRG-BIRD

• Bulleteer
Reply #13 on: February 21, 2020, 12:22:57 pm
British Racing Green and John Deere green aren’t even remotely close to the same color. :)

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #14 on: February 21, 2020, 08:58:32 pm
I like, very in-person. Like a lotus 7.

I used similar scheme on my z900rs.

Nice Kaw! Yep, Lotus F1 is what I was going for. ;D