Author Topic: Lycett seat input requested  (Read 439 times)

Silverback

• Grease Monkey
on: March 11, 2024, 08:38:47 pm
I have been on a search for more bum comfort on my 2012 classic c5 500.
Presently I  am using the RE OEM touring seat with that so called 3d material. It's good but I think seating could be better.

In my search I investigated the low rider seat. I am learning that some seat modifications may not work with my year bike.

I did a modification that replicated an unsprung seat.  Och!
I understand why the Indian population would want a sprung seat. I hear their rounds are in bad condition.

I forgot what it was like to get bumped out of my seat while riding.  No bueno!
While I really like the lower position I would desperately miss the extra impact protection of the sprung saddle.

Before anyone says anything. I did search for "lycett" in this forum.  After reading the posts I am still left wanting.

So any of the lycett seat and pillion users please provide opinions.  I am interested in additional comfort or lack of comfort regarding your bum first. then back comfort.

Are their any frame styles to avoid or preferred?
Input on installing.

Preferred vendors ?

https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/accessory-shop/Single-Seat/38152

https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/accessory-shop/seats-and-saddles/18906
2011 uce classic 500,  carb converted and trails bars.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #1 on: March 12, 2024, 11:06:56 am
I have been on a search for more bum comfort on my 2012 classic c5 500.
Presently I  am using the RE OEM touring seat with that so called 3d material. It's good but I think seating could be better.

So any of the lycett seat and pillion users please provide opinions.  I am interested in additional comfort or lack of comfort regarding your bum first. then back comfort.

Preferred vendors ?

https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/accessory-shop/Single-Seat/38152

The Lycett seat is not "soft" if that's what you're looking for. It's like sitting on a brick.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #2 on: March 12, 2024, 03:21:05 pm
Lycetts was originally a saddle maker.  I've read that later they were purchased by Brooks and the name was used on the lower priced bike seats.

But, in the motorcycle world, I think most people will use "Lycett" to refer to a saddle constructed with extension springs arranged to a steel perimeter frame, which support the skin of the seat.  This was from a time before foam rubber had been invented.
Here's some pictures and discussion:  https://classicbikenut.com/index.php/lycette-type-saddles-etc/

I see that at one point, bungee cord material was being used instead of steel springs:  https://hmvf.co.uk/topic/44660-the-saddle-thread-a-rivet-counter%E2%80%99s-guide-to-the-wd-motorcycle-saddles/

I've only personally ridden on this type of seat on a bicycle, where I found it neither particularly comfortable nor painful.  I'd say that a strong point of the design would be that the type seems inherently repairable.  I think I'd try experimenting with a modern material to replace the fibrous padding that was between the springs and the seat cover.

Handirifle

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: March 12, 2024, 05:29:19 pm
You might try looking at seats for other brands.  Harley has a boat load of designs, both factory and aftermarket, that might work.  Seats designed for the now discontinued version of the Sportster might fit the classic better than the touring seats.

For two up seats, the Sportster Sundowner seat is pretty comfortable, all else considered.  My '07 Sportster rode about the same as my '11 C5, and the Sportster did not have a sprung seat.

I attached a picture of the Sportster so you can see the sundowner seat it had.  Never rode with a solo seat so cannot comment on their comfort.  I put 400 mile days on the Sundowner, and while not as comfy as my Ultra, it wasn't painful.

You most likely would have to modify seat attachment points on either style though.
Retired Air Traffic Controller
Current bikes are
2014 HD Ultra Classic (couch rocket)
2011 Royal Enfield Classic 500

BulletBrian

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: March 15, 2024, 01:55:31 am
I installed an Indian made Lycette type sprung seat on my 2018 Classic 500.  It is flatter and pretty wide, which actually works well for me.  The springs that support the goat leather cover are rather tight so not much give but with these AND the primary coil springs at the back it rides very nice for me.  It does sit back further when mounted up and took some bending and tweaking to get it fitted.  I plan to lay in a 1/4" piece of foam rubber between the cover and the springs to get a bit more cush.  Overall, I like it.  The factory seat felt too narrow to me and less supportive.  With motorcycle seats, I have found that soft, cushy seats are the worst....they just let your body collapse too much, placing forces on sensitive tissues when your weight should be mostly on your pelvic "sit bones" and not the tailbone or perineum. Posture has a lot to do with it as well.  My BMW R1200RT with a Sargent low saddle is superb.  It makes you sit up properly, maintaining the lower back arch, which rocks the pelvis forward.

Here is how mine looks.

Handirifle

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: March 15, 2024, 02:18:58 am
Wow, Those are some big ammo boxes.
Current bikes are

BulletBrian

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: March 15, 2024, 04:07:12 am
Wow, Those are some big ammo boxes.

Yeah, I know! I have the next sized smaller ones as well.  I like carrying tools, parts, jackets, extra fuel, my backpack with work stuff, etc...but these ones kinda grew outta control.  I think they put on weight over the winter.  Yeah, that's it.  I like the Army WLA style leather bags but they're crazy spendy.

Handirifle

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: March 15, 2024, 04:11:32 am
The panniers I just got for my C5 classic will just about as big.  I like a lot of storage, especially when running errands like groceries.

I have packed a full shopping cart worth of groceries in my Harley, so I figured might as well go big or go home.  Makes the bike a lot more practical, for me.
Current bikes are