Author Topic: Air Filter Noise  (Read 4546 times)

SpaceAviator

• Scooter
on: November 23, 2018, 12:57:14 pm
I have a 4 year old GT that I wasnt able to ride over the past two months due to an accident. Today I changed the battery and turned it out - for some reason the air filter started making a weird noise. I opened it up and everything seemed normal. I have linked a video to the noise as well.

i went to the dealer today and he couldnt figure out what was wrong as well. He just turned down the idle speed and it went away. But it just hasnt happened before. I was idling just above 1K and now its just below that.

https://streamable.com/zokci

The idling thing seems like a band aid fix. I was hoping you guys could guide me in the right direction. The dealer broke the drain plug of the air filter housing. I have taped the hole up with electrical tape for now to prevent dust getting in until i get the replacement air filter housing kit.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 01:02:04 pm by SpaceAviator »

hpwaco

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: November 23, 2018, 02:37:13 pm
I have a 14GT and have never seen a drain plug in the filter housing.  What am I missing?   Never had any noise from the stock filter but replaced it with an ACE filter kit and velocity stack ages ago.

SpaceAviator

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: November 23, 2018, 03:28:32 pm
I have a 14GT and have never seen a drain plug in the filter housing.  What am I missing?   Never had any noise from the stock filter but replaced it with an ACE filter kit and velocity stack ages ago.

Its right under the corner pointing towards the foot gear change lever. Has a plastic membrane on top of it as well. You have to see it at an angle.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #3 on: November 23, 2018, 09:09:50 pm
The high pitched squeal sounds like it might come from some sort of air leak.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

SpaceAviator

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: November 24, 2018, 01:38:54 am
The high pitched squeal sounds like it might come from some sort of air leak.

I thought so too but literally turning down the idle rpm by a little made it go away. Is there anything else I can do to see where the leak is coming from etc? Should I not ride the bike until I get replacement air filter housing?

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #5 on: November 24, 2018, 06:26:42 am
what if  you start pulling bits off the air inlet tract until the noise goes away?  Start with the airbox lid, then the filter, the box to throttle body boot etc. And see the exhaust pipe is not leaking. Good luck.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

SpaceAviator

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: November 24, 2018, 09:58:28 am
what if  you start pulling bits off the air inlet tract until the noise goes away?  Start with the airbox lid, then the filter, the box to throttle body boot etc. And see the exhaust pipe is not leaking. Good luck.

What do you mean pull off? I checked the cover of the air filter. Checked if air filter was fitted properly. Both the hoses leading out of the air filter housing.

Can you tell me which one is the exhaust pipe? The one right under the cluster? Checked that as well.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #7 on: November 24, 2018, 10:19:51 am
I just meant to check there are no leaks in the actual exhaust pipe, the one the exhaust comes out of. Maybe it got a leak in the crash and it's sucking air in or something.
And to disconnect the airbox from the throttle body completely, too see if the noise goes away. If it does, would indicate the noise emanates from the airbox somehow.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

SpaceAviator

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: December 20, 2019, 07:09:56 am
A year later I still have no resolution. I have been to two dealerships. And I've tried local repair shops as well. Can someone guide me on what exactly should i check? I've got the entire air filter housing replaced with a new one and the noise still persists. What are other specific things I can check?

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #9 on: December 20, 2019, 12:14:46 pm
A year later I still have no resolution. I have been to two dealerships. And I've tried local repair shops as well. Can someone guide me on what exactly should i check? I've got the entire air filter housing replaced with a new one and the noise still persists. What are other specific things I can check?

Can you make the bike make the sucking noise steadily? If so get yourself a piece of Tygon tubing and stick it in your ear. Stick a plug in your other ear. Use the  end of the tubing that's not in your ear to search out the noise.

I usta balance SUs like this in the '60s before I got my little vacuum tool with the bouncy ball.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 12:17:57 pm by tooseevee »
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #10 on: December 20, 2019, 08:40:43 pm
          Can you make the bike make the sucking noise steadily? If so get yourself a piece of Tygon tubing and stick it in your ear. Stick a plug in your other ear. Use the  end of the tubing that's not in your ear to search out the noise.

I usta balance SUs like this in the '60s before I got my little vacuum tool with the bouncy ball.

No idea what Tygon is but this brought back memories of my old Austin Healey. I never thought of plugging my other ear but a length of vacuum hose in your ear while you poke the other end around to find the noise is a standard trick and works for synching carbs.