Author Topic: Which to buy (first timer)  (Read 2106 times)

Ouch

• Scooter
on: January 27, 2020, 01:32:55 pm
I've been hankering after a 500 classic for a good few yrs and have decided this year is the year. But do i buy old 70s or 90s or the latest ones ?
I can twirl a set of spanners so upkeep no issue. But have no clue on prices.
There's a rather nice 73 500 nr (UK)me at £3850 or is my money better spent on a 2018 model for same money?
Ps Hello everyone  :)

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: January 27, 2020, 02:07:05 pm
If it was me I would go for the 2018 model if you plan on riding it a lot.  If you like to work on motorcycles and hunt for parts, the 1973 bike might be for you.  I have a British road test review of a 1970's era model and they really thought it was crap.
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #2 on: January 27, 2020, 03:11:55 pm
Welcome aboard, "Ouch!" I'm over here in the States, and my 2005 Bullet 500ES "Military" basically found ME. So, I don't know how much help I can offer for your search for just the right Bullet for you yonder. I can tell you that I don't believe there were any  500 Bullets manufactured in 1973, such as you describe. The last English-built one was cobbled together in Redditch in 1961, and the Indians didn't start making 500s until about 1990. Perhaps you are describing this one in Leicestershire? If that's a "1973" then I'm the King of Swaziland. More likely it's a "grey market" import "bitsa" (bits of this, bits of that) from India with a spurious title predated to get it registered in the UK. Still, it is pretty. It also has what to some are desirable old school features, like the proper righthand shifter and neutral finder in an original Albion 4-speed English-style gearbox of yore. If that bike is near you, then most likely you're somewhere in the Midlands. If that's the case, then I dare say you might do well to turn to the Midland Bullet Riders Forum for fellowship and advice before buying anything. Those folks will almost surely have a much better sense of the local offerings than some guy in Virginia. Still, once you do get an Enfield, this is a fine Forum for coming to grips with it. I doubt I'd have got my own Bullet running as well as it does without the knowledge and support of the good folks here.
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Boxerman

• Grease Monkey
  • Lancashire UK
Reply #3 on: January 27, 2020, 03:50:58 pm
I'm in the UK and I have to say that Bilgemaster has hit the nail right on the head.
There are loads of these bikes, put together from old and new parts in India, and that does not mean that they are necessarily bad, but they are not Redditch bikes as some try to pass them off as.  They are certainly not worth that kind of money.

Many criticise the Indian bikes, but I don't. I liked my 350 bullet I had before and I like the 500 Elecrta EFI I have now even more.
The EFI bikes are not as pretty as the iron barrelled bikes, but they are mechanically much better in all departments - engine, transmission, brakes, electrics etc..

If you prefer the iron barrel models, buy an 'honest' one that hasn't been tarted up, and they are not as unreliable as many like to make out, much depends on the owners attitude and knowledge.
As the man said - Midland Bullet Riders Forum is a good place to ask questions.

Frank

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: January 27, 2020, 04:06:36 pm
Here is a review of a 1970's Indian 350cc Bullet copied from my The World of Motorcycles encyclopedia, which was published by Orbis Publishing Ltd., London in 1977.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 04:11:55 pm by Richard230 »
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Ouch

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: January 27, 2020, 04:55:43 pm
It is the one i Leicestershire that i was looking at so thanks all to the advice so far .
I knew you shouldnt buy with your heart but it is kinda pretty isnt it .
Its only hour drive way so will nip over at weekend and have a good look at it .
Also my local dealer in Peterborough as demo's of all new models to try 👍

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: January 27, 2020, 05:08:24 pm
Here is a review of a 1970's Indian 350cc Bullet copied from my The World of Motorcycles encyclopedia, which was published by Orbis Publishing Ltd., London in 1977.

Well, that wasn't nearly  as scathing a writeup as I'd expected. It came nowhere near the level of bile heaped upon the marque as one of my favoritely-titled screeds, "Royal Enfield and the Fart of Motorcycle Maintenance", in homage to Pirsig's famous tome.
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Carlsberg Wordsworth

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: January 28, 2020, 07:49:30 pm
I'm in two minds whether to sell my 2012 B5 this year. I enjoy a good blat around the Peak District and the local lanes but I didn't put many miles on it last year at all. In fact, looking at the MOT records it's getting less each year!

Coupled with some kind of muscle/hip area injury that I appear to have been carrying for some time I'm wondering how much use I'll get out of it this year as the sit up and beg style provides some discomfort for me.

Dad says I'll regret it if I do as does my heart and once the weather turns nice for those odd days out.

If it was me, I'd buy the more modern one. You could become a popular purchaser at Hitchcocks if opting for the older one. Or maybe not of course. It might be a case of what bits fit what.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: January 28, 2020, 09:18:42 pm
I'm in two minds whether to sell my 2012 B5 this year. I enjoy a good blat around the Peak District and the local lanes but I didn't put many miles on it last year at all. In fact, looking at the MOT records it's getting less each year!

Coupled with some kind of muscle/hip area injury that I appear to have been carrying for some time I'm wondering how much use I'll get out of it this year as the sit up and beg style provides some discomfort for me.

Dad says I'll regret it if I do as does my heart and once the weather turns nice for those odd days out.

If it was me, I'd buy the more modern one. You could become a popular purchaser at Hitchcocks if opting for the older one. Or maybe not of course. It might be a case of what bits fit what.

Sorry to hear of your hip woes, CW. Any chance that some alteration of saddle and bars might ameliorate it? Say, a more prone forward-leaning stance like clip-on bars? With maybe one of those old leather tank top belly bags that '20s racers used to lean over to keep the strain off the wrists and arms?

Carlsberg Wordsworth

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: January 29, 2020, 06:10:16 pm
Thankyou for the kind words Bilgemaster. It's more a muscular injury rather than bone related. It would hurt the top thigh muscle changing gear after a while.

I'm happy to blame work and sitting at a desk now after previous employment involving years of manual activity, however the reality is that after getting back into cycling for excercise the last couple of years and deciding to try that little bit further, not setting the bike up correctly is the real cause. I've read that it's better to ride with feet more under the hip area so perhaps a Himalayan might be better.

But don't let my issues put you off Ouch :) hope the bike viewing goes well. There might always be mine lol.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #10 on: January 29, 2020, 08:24:31 pm
As previously stated, there is no such thing as a 1973 500.
However that doesn't mean that it's a bad bike. Just be aware that it is a much later model India built bike which might be fine,.... Or it might be crap.
Each Bullet must be judged individually.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Ouch

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: January 30, 2020, 09:46:38 pm
Well fingers crossed i might be a owner after this weekend   8)

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: January 31, 2020, 04:44:26 am
Thankyou for the kind words Bilgemaster. It's more a muscular injury rather than bone related. It would hurt the top thigh muscle changing gear after a while.

[Snip!...]

I'll wager it might not take much redneck engineering to rig up some sort of cable-operated auxiliary hand gear shift gizmo to nudge the foot shifter up or down and thereby give that leg a rest most of your riding time, yet still leave the foot shifter in place. In a pinch, merely a cleverly-rigged loop of paracord might even do the trick.

Cat3625

• Scooter
  • My need for speed
Reply #13 on: January 31, 2020, 11:58:46 pm
Looks like you can buy a brand new efi for £100 more from a reputable dealer,(Watsonions were the previous franchise importers) rather than some dodgy "Indian Restoration!"import.
Check this out 1st.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F312896110755
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 12:03:10 am by Cat3625 »
1966 Continental 250 GT
2001 Bullet 500 k/s
2002 Bullet 350 Trials
2008 Bullet 500 Classic electric start
2016 C5 Military 500 efi
2019 Interceptor 650
U.K.🇬🇧

Boxerman

• Grease Monkey
  • Lancashire UK
Reply #14 on: February 01, 2020, 09:28:26 am
Looks like you can buy a brand new efi for £100 more from a reputable dealer,(Watsonions were the previous franchise importers) rather than some dodgy "Indian Restoration!"import.
Check this out 1st.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F312896110755

Buying that makes a lot more sense to me. Brand new bike, reputable dealer - no-brainer!

Frank