Author Topic: 350 cafe racer  (Read 19419 times)

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #30 on: May 21, 2020, 10:15:24 am
Meanwhile, title or no title, here's a ΒΌ" BSP petcock/fuel tap WITH reserve.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-TRIUMPH-NORTON-AJS-BSA-FUEL-TAP-WITH-RESERVE-1-4-FUEL-PETCOCK-PETROL/392354516108

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

ddavidv

• Prefers "Your Majesty"
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #31 on: May 21, 2020, 12:30:08 pm
I'm currently corresponding with that chap in the UK trying to pin down it's actual age. The builder stated it is a 1972 but at present it's just heresay.
I'm hopeful the Vermont registration solution will work. If not...well, that's more the current owner's problem than mine but I'm the sap tasked with selling it.  :P
I don't think the carb is that bad now that I have it apart. At this point the most expensive thing it will need is a battery. I know it can be started without a functioning battery but will it start with NO battery in the circuit?
2023 Scram 411, 2007 five speed 'Deluxe', 1964 750 Interceptor

charte

• Bulleteer
  • Whether you think you can or can't, you're right.
Reply #32 on: May 21, 2020, 02:11:20 pm
I'll chime in since I've done this twice, legally, I promise (I would be a bad criminal if I posted my actions on line!).

The challenge with getting a title, and the key to this all, is having the proper legal paperwork from India, and an official translation of the India title.

I am in Virginia, so this is how it worked here.  Virginia DMV has a process for importing vehicles and they are absolutely clear what documentation you need.  There is no creativity.  You have to read everything and then make sure you gather everything they require.  If you can't, to Bilge's point, you won't get it done.  But, it's not that hard.

The part that was most challenging is that you must supply the original and legal title from India (in addition to import papers mentioned above).  And guess what, it's in Hindi with some English.  I thought it would be clear enough, but the people at the DMV were not happy that they couldn't read everything and wanted a translation.  So, after some time, I translated it with Google and some help from friends.  After waiting in line for hours, they bounced me out again stating that I can't just translate my own documents, I needed a legal translation either from the India Embassy in the US (or consulate), or from an official US registered translation company.

I lost a lot of time in all these loops.  But, I chose the latter, and got a US company to translate it, notarized, etc.  My idea was that it might look good to have a US company corroborate my India sourced documentation.

However, despite the title issue, I was able to register the bikes right away.  So, I had plates, was street legal, I just didn't have titles.

Then, going back to the DMV with my official translation, the person I got after 3 hours in line still had no idea what to do with all this stuff.  She called over the manager.  The manager was unsure too.  However, to her credit, she said that they don't do this much, so they are unsure of the process and if my documentation was sufficient, but if I left all my documentation with her, she would "call it in" to HQ.

I got a call a week later stating that all was in order, and to come back.

After another 3 hour wait, I got to the desk, and once again the clerk had no idea what to do with my case. BUT!  Virginia DMV must have great software because he looked up my account, and there were clear notes and instructions from HQ and the manager about my case, that I was approved, with directions of what to do.  I then had to fill out two more forms, and I was done. 

Go Virginia DMV!

So, I learned many lessons. 1) There are no shortcuts, you have to research the requirements of your DMV to import a vehicle, and get all the documentation or you get stopped there, 2) Get an official translation of anything not in English, and 3) you need to have patience with your DMV because they don't do this often, and it takes them some time to work on it too.  If you're a jerk and get huffy with them, you'll never get through it.  If you ask them for help kindly and sympathize that you just walked in with a weird case and a ton of work that they have probably never done, you'll find they are great people and just want to help.

1969 Bullet
2007 Triumph Rocket III Classic
2017 Moto Guzzi VII Special

blasphemous

• Bulleteer
Reply #33 on: May 21, 2020, 11:12:19 pm
That sounds like a lot of hoops, glad you were able to get it done.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #34 on: May 22, 2020, 02:39:11 am
As a fellow dweller of the Commonwealth I'd agree that while some Virginia DMVs may be fine, others, like my local one in Woodbridge, are like a trip back in time to East Germany, yet staffed for some reason primarily by scarcely comprehensible former Islanders from the West Indies all trilling away merrily in a variety of sing-songy near-impenetrable Creoles. Dealing with them is like being trapped in a game of Jeopardy! being played in Bob Marley's subconscious. And why oh why must every jamoke registering his "new" rustbucket work van bring along the entire squalling clan to witness the title transfer? You're not graduating Summa Cum Whatever, dude. This ain't a "teachable experience." So leave the infants and rampaging toddlers at home, OK? Seriously...I can barely hear the numbers being droned out by Clara the Autobot over your howling crotchfruit as your wildling four year old once again trips over my foot while rushing by for the eleventh time as I begin to ponder just how far I might be able to jam this red plastic DMV Now! pen into his ear hole with a good wind up.

There was a website that tracked wait times for various tasks at Virginia's different DMVs. It seems to be down for the duration of the Kung Flu closure, but last I checked it clearly indicated that it might well be worth my while to drive out to some more rural office out in Warrenton or Stafford. No matter what day or time of day, the Woodbridge one is always like a guaranteed 3 hour holdover in the San Salvador Central Bus Depot on Mother's Day. Bring your earplugs.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 02:44:58 am by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

ddavidv

• Prefers "Your Majesty"
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: May 22, 2020, 12:00:22 pm
What a glorious read Bilgemaster.  :D

Got the linkage for the rearset straightened by a friend and is back on. Gear engagement seems...random with it on the center stand and not running. If I spin the rear wheel and try gear changes they go much better. Normal for an Albion?

I have the carb soaking and will give it a go after a good spritzing with flammable fluids. I have yet to buy an ultrasound cleaner but I don't think this one is that bad, just a bit of varnish in the bottom of the bowl itself. I may try firing it over the weekend.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #36 on: May 22, 2020, 12:21:53 pm
You are aware that shifting a non running bike can bend a shift fork, right? Turning the rear wheel enables the dogs to engage properly.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

ddavidv

• Prefers "Your Majesty"
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: May 22, 2020, 08:23:22 pm
Never heard that.
I was shifting by hand so it wasn't forceful.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #38 on: May 22, 2020, 08:48:02 pm
You can actually feel the dogs engage when you joggle the rear wheel.  When everything is turning/shaking/vibrating it helps a lot.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

Paul W

• Grand Gearhead
  • 350 Bullet Electra (Indian home market).
Reply #39 on: May 22, 2020, 11:12:31 pm
On these bikes, nothing works unless there's enough vibration. If there's too much vibration, things break or fall off.

The trick is getting the level of vibration exactly correct.
Paul W.

charte

• Bulleteer
  • Whether you think you can or can't, you're right.
Reply #40 on: May 23, 2020, 12:53:28 am
Bilge, you kill me man ;-)  I think you moonlight here from your job as writer at SNL.

Looks like we are neighbors.  I'm on the Annandale/Fairfax border.  You painted a pretty accurate depiction of the DMV here.  I go to the one in Fair Oaks....not too different from what you describe, but better.  The worst one in my experience is Springfield.

Note in my story I'm basically 3 hours in with every visit.  So I probably have 15 hours of DMV waiting into getting the titles.  But, I got it done, and if I did it again, I'd be able to cut that way down.

I'm going to take the 69 out Sunday to ride the old Rolling Thunder route, or at least to the Pentagon.  My buddy is going to ride the 63.  If you're out as well, maybe see you.

1969 Bullet
2007 Triumph Rocket III Classic
2017 Moto Guzzi VII Special

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #41 on: May 23, 2020, 04:25:19 am
I'm not a vet, nor a huge fan of Harleys, the predominant marque by far of the gathering, so have never done the Rolling Thunder thing. I don't dislike Harleys--just never been particularly drawn to them. Having worked near the Mall, of course I've SEEN the Rolling Thunder folks many times. I was not aware there was a specific route TO the Pentagon. In fact, I'd always thought that was the staging area where the whole procession into town and past the memorials began.

If you're just up in Annandale, and have not checked it out already, you might really enjoy swinging by that Bikes & Breakfast gathering normally held on the 2nd Sunday of each month in beautiful little Clifton, VA, though it's obviously been on hold lately on account of the Kung Flu. Once it resumes, and maybe even if it doesn't "officially" for June and so forth, you'll likely catch me there. I scarcely ever miss it. I reckon it might be only 30 minutes from Annandale: just a quick clip down Braddock Road to 645 and then a straight shot right into Clifton. For further details see: http://www.bikesandbreakfast.com/ .
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

ddavidv

• Prefers "Your Majesty"
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #42 on: May 23, 2020, 10:49:34 am
We have a similar thing by me in Ephrata, PA at the VFW first Sunday of every month (Kung Flu not withstanding). We get folks from the surrounding states. 85% Hardley-Movingsons but lots of other neat stuff. My Bullet gets lots of attention. I'm hoping to get the cafe running and over there in 2 weeks though may require 'borrowing' a license plate from mine.

ddavidv

• Prefers "Your Majesty"
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #43 on: May 23, 2020, 11:40:09 am
Just got the letter from Graham from the UK owner's club, this one was built August 1973. So now we attempt registration.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #44 on: May 23, 2020, 02:30:11 pm
Just got the letter from Graham from the UK owner's club, this one was built August 1973. So now we attempt registration.
So that makes it an Indian built model?