Author Topic: 2012 C5 disc to adapter plate bolt torque spec  (Read 998 times)

joestrummer

• Scooter
on: July 01, 2022, 10:19:06 pm
Hello. New member here who recently bought a 2012 C5 in need of a nicer front wheel. I found one, and I'm transferring the disc assembly. Does anyone know the torque for the screws that hold the disc to the adapter?

They're position 16 here. https://www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/partsbook-pages/4968 The service manual doesn't mention them, it lists only the torque for the fasteners that hold the adapter plate to the hub. Although the manual calls them front disc mounting bolts, they're listed as M8x25mm, which is the size of the adapter to hub fasteners.

The plan is to tighten them uniformly with loctite, but I'd rather use the correct torque.

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: July 02, 2022, 04:57:27 am
Looks like 15 n/m from this copy of the service manual.
I'd just crank them down until you are happy with the tension. Just keep in mind that the locktite 'lubricates' the fastener when you are tightening it down so the torque figures are somewhat vague.
So basically do to it what you think it tight enough.

Congratulations on your new bike.  There's lots to learn,  and lots to just figure out yourself.  These are fairly simple contraptions. Don't over think it and just have fun.

Mine is a 2011 chrome classic,  completely disassembled right down to the last nut and ball for rebuilding.  Cases split, bearings replaced  and cases hand polished Reassembled with out the need of a torque wrench.

میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں

joestrummer

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: July 02, 2022, 05:57:05 am
Thank you Desi Bike. I believe that's the torque for the adapter to hub fasteners. I'll just pick a value that feels right and use it. I don't have as much faith in my feel as you do. That, and 25 years repairing nuclear submarines make me uncomfortable tightening critical fasteners without a torque value.

muezler

• Scooter
  • Austria - Styria
Reply #3 on: July 11, 2022, 06:12:44 am
Hoi hoi,

my copy of the Haynes manual also states 15Nm

Cheers

joestrummer

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: July 11, 2022, 10:47:27 pm
Thanks muezler, but I think that's for the fasteners that hold the adapter plate to the hub. I was looking for the torque for the fasteners that hold the disc to the adapter. I made them up with loctite so they should be fine.