Author Topic: The Jawa brand is back  (Read 12092 times)

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #30 on: November 19, 2020, 09:44:49 pm
Sounds like you are describing the daily work experience of most workers in American industry to me. The 1917 October Revolution terrified Industry Magnates of the time because they realized that truly "The Peasants are revolting". The main difference between Corporate America and the Soviet was that it was harder to have unpleasant workers eliminated. Harder...but not impossible. That behaviour is prevalent in humanity the farther the management gets from the production line, regardless of geography. "Stupidity is like Nuclear Power - It can be used for good or evil, just don't get any on you." -Dilbert-
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #31 on: November 19, 2020, 10:08:57 pm
Unpleasant workers are rarely the issue those days. In my observation the management of today has become a cloud that eliminates the most effective manager or managing units fuelling the inefficiency and incompetence of the management cloud. This forces ever greater efficiency on the productive units. The slogan as used by Bill Gates "Innovate to Zero" could originate from this observation. Now they call it industrial revolution 4.0, the basic idea is that there is no human being involved in the production process and all happens remotely controlled from the water head. That of course is a big bull, but if you want a job and want to be happy, take home your money at the end of the month you better keep parroting this stuff.

Anyone who sits in this kind of clowd is probably instinctively aware of it which is why they try not to do anything right in order to keep the job. The end result is panics, heart attacks, chaos once the inevitable time comes to actually deliver followed by restructuring to an even lesser efficient organisation.   ;D
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 10:33:34 pm by derottone »

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #32 on: November 20, 2020, 05:09:44 am
I don't see any possibility that any modern Jawas will be imported into the U.S. We don't have any historical connection to the brand here.

Ya'know, we may be getting this all wrong seeing the Jawa with our mostly ancient eyes. We remember the original machine from way back.
Just my opinion, ....

Nostalgia marketing isn't primarily about reawakening specific personal associations, it's more abstract.  I very much doubt that any of the tens of thousands who purchased new Honda Shadow Classics over the last 20 years, had any distinct connection with the prewar bikes that those Shadow's styling was derived from.  How many purchasers of Indian Chiefs have any recollection of, or personal connection to, the prewar bikes that the Polaris machines emulate?  How many youngsters who adore the "steampunk" aesthetic, have any experience with steam?

Nostalgia marketing exploits emotions, and this maneuver neatly sidesteps any analytical processes that might mess up the sale.

The average Indian motorcycle purchaser, has an age several decades younger than his US equivalent.  Most of them probably aren't purchasing Jawa's because they remember grandad's old Yezdi.  They want them because they look cool, and because the machines are appreciably more potent than the competition ( UCE 350 bullet), for a relatively modest increase in price.  The Jawa extracts almost as much power from its 293cc as RE did from their UCE 500.  Of course you can get more power in a bike, but you will have to pay, a KTM 390 or a RE 650 INT will get you into the ~45hp range, for ~165% of the cost of the Jawa.

I could see american youngsters flocking to the Jawa for the same reasons that they are buying the new Vespas, and it isn't economy or because they are cheaper than scooters from asia.  Harley should work a deal with Mahindra to distribute Jawas in the US.

One wonders why Mahindra didn't license the name "Yezdi" instead of "Jawa".  Or did they try?

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: November 20, 2020, 02:21:20 pm
Quote by axman88: I could see american youngsters flocking to the Jawa for the same reasons that they are buying the new Vespas, and it isn't economy or because they are cheaper than scooters from asia.  Harley should work a deal with Mahindra to distribute Jawas in the US.

I am just not seeing very many American youngsters flocking to buy any motorcycles lately, much less a brand that they have never heard of before and doesn't have an established reputation or distribution/sales/servicing network. Part of the reason seems to be that most youngsters just don't have much money to blow on personal transportation that is not needed to get to their job - if they even have one. I always keep my eye out for motorcycle riders and I see very few young riders, most appear to be over 50 and are buying relatively expensive motorcycles for pleasure riding.

It is my belief that the current up and coming generation is more interested in staying at home and communicating by computer or "smart" phone.  That is where what money the have is going, not to buy new motorcycles.

Both of my granddaughters are in their early-20's and neither has any interest in driving a car or motorcycle. In fact they don't even have an interest in getting a license to do so. This is in spite of their parents having two cars and a garage full of motorcycles.  When the older girl became 18, for a birthday present I paid for her to take the state's two-day motorcycle training test. While she passed the test, she said that she didn't find riding a motorcycle all that interesting and went back to the computer in her room and has stayed there ever since - after first graduating with honors at UCLA with a degree in literature.  ???
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #34 on: November 21, 2020, 08:38:34 am

I am just not seeing very many American youngsters flocking to buy any motorcycles lately, much less a brand that they have never heard of before and doesn't have an established reputation or distribution/sales/servicing network. Part of the reason seems to be that most youngsters just don't have much money to blow on personal transportation that is not needed to get to their job - if they even have one. I always keep my eye out for motorcycle riders and I see very few young riders, most appear to be over 50 and are buying relatively expensive motorcycles for pleasure riding.

I can tell you for fact that one big drawback on purchase and ownership of a Motorcycle in the "advanced" parts of the EU is all the legal hassles. I'm not interested AT ALL in owning a bike, pay massive tax and insurance, additionally having to take it to a yearly inspection where some government approved SOBs look at it telling you that your home made windshield has no CE marking and is therefore illegal or some bullshit like that. There comes a point where you just don't want to deal with all that anymore.

It's easy to blame as most people do the manufacturer for everything. Who would want to manufacture in the EU anything. You have to deal with unsatisfyable customers who want everything for free on one side and from behind you getting fucked by the politicos most of them sitting not only in the government but in the steering committees of those companies as well. If you can't relocated than it's better to just shut down.

The engine that pisses fuel while delivering 100 horses exists only in the brains of the Commiecrats and in Sweden.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 09:23:43 am by derottone »

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #35 on: November 21, 2020, 12:05:50 pm

Nothing worse than working under commies, they like to sit above you, control what you do, get paid more than you, don't know what you should be doing neither how it's done, whatever you do is wrong, whatever you do wrong is your fault, whatever you do right is their achievement and once they have sized everything you owned and worked for they say it's your own fault because it's YOU who is a commie.  ;D

I remember a perfect illustration of what you say above in a Swedish movie I saw many years ago and cannot remember for the life of me the name of it.

It was full of Volvo PV 544s and featured a 60 something year old man who lived alone in a small house he had probably lived in most of his life.

One day he was met at his door by "Hello, I'm from the government and I'm here to help you". The government slug then brought a very tall bar stool into the man's kitchen and set it up in a corner of the room. He climbed to the top and perched there all day like Snoopy on the doghouse taking notes and checking boxes in his various clip boards keeping track of every move the man made in his daily activities.

After X number of days doing this, the man took his tall bar stool out, tied it onto the top of his Volvo and left. After a while the man got instructions from the government on how he could improve his efficiency doing things in his own house that he had probably been doing quite well for 40 years. I think he even had to report to a government official in a government building and "talk about" the inspector's "official government report".

This is where we've been steadily heading in the US since the end of WW Two and is the ultimate goal of lunatic Progressives. The increase in the rate of the rise of their power and success has been phenomenal in just the few years since 1990. Permission must be granted by some "government" to do ANYthing nowadays including committing the sin of opposing opinions or you WILL be punished is "some" way.

Right now this country is like a snail traversing the edge of a Wilkinson Sword straight razor.     
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 12:09:15 pm by tooseevee »
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #36 on: November 21, 2020, 12:36:56 pm
Totally wasted 10 years of my life in that sink hole. You can only piss on that place.

Today Greta was in the news accusing her parents of ruining he future by travelling the world and driving around in a car. Watch out what's going to happen next.  ;D

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: November 21, 2020, 02:29:51 pm
One of my favorite laws is that in many states in the U.S. it is illegal for you to commit suicide. What are they going to do, put your dead body in jail?  ::)  (I guess they will if you don't do a good job of it.  :o )
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #38 on: November 21, 2020, 04:03:40 pm
Just a "heads up" that I fixed a broken image link at the original poster's request after that one hour editing deadline. So, if you want to see what a really nicely restored REAL Jawa looks like, see https://forum.classicmotorworks.com/index.php?topic=26776.msg306425#msg306425
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #39 on: November 21, 2020, 05:06:19 pm
Well done! When I see these old two-strokes, I think back to crisp, clear desert race-day mornings, hearing the pre-dawn mating call of the Husqvarna...Kapook..Kapook...Kapook-kapook-kapook....curse-curse-curse... ;D
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #40 on: November 21, 2020, 05:19:27 pm
One of my favorite laws is that in many states in the U.S. it is illegal for you to commit suicide. What are they going to do, put your dead body in jail?  ::)  (I guess they will if you don't do a good job of it.  :o )

Now in Sweden they track your movements to such a degree that when you decide to go and jump of a bridge the police will be there before you even arrive at the place your self hiding in the woods. They will already have decided beforehand who is going to jump in the water and fish you out so that the hero in the newspaper article has the accurate Hollywood like looks to it.  ;D  ...not too difficult to drive a person to that decision neither is it?

If you think I'm joking, I'm not. Than if the country is struck with forest fires they can't decide who is going to take the risk to go out and do the firefighting which is why all of Europe has to send their troops and aerial firefighting airplanes to do the job. That's how they deal when something doesn't go accordingly to plan.

Don't they call it post heroistic society or something where the worst pussy takes all the credit?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 06:03:24 pm by derottone »

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #41 on: November 21, 2020, 08:02:40 pm
My old Kawi 250 klx was liquid cooled and had no finned engine parts. I think it was because it did not need them. Being a form follows function type old fart, I can't help but think that more thought goes into style than mechanical perfection with these posers. Mahindra takes this a step further trying to make a four stroke look like a 2 stroke.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #42 on: November 21, 2020, 10:05:44 pm
Yamaha built a nice liquid cooled 550 V-twin years back with no fins at all, the "air-compressor" proved very hard to sell. Honda carefully added fake fins to their liquid cooled V-twins. People are funny, they'll often pay extra for "style". I think the old straight six Kawasaki touring bike didn't have fins either, also didn't last too long, but a transverse straight six is wicked wide. Ahead of their time no doubt. Now days there is usually lots of bodywork to hide "nekkid" cylinders. I think on the whole that off-road oriented riders are more concerned with performance, so probably less opposed to change. I don't believe that any of the liquid cooled MX machinery ever had fins.

Keef Sparrow

• Grease Monkey
Reply #43 on: November 22, 2020, 12:29:39 am
Suzuki's watercooled GT750 2 stroke triple road bike of the 1970's didn't have fins on it's engine. I think it sold well enough.
Past: CB125-T2, T500, GT500, Speed Triple, 955i Daytona. Now: Royal Enfield Bullet Trials 500

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #44 on: November 22, 2020, 01:00:39 am
Yamaha built a nice liquid cooled 550 V-twin years back with no fins at all, the "air-compressor" proved very hard to sell. Honda carefully added fake fins to their liquid cooled V-twins. People are funny, they'll often pay extra for "style". I think the old straight six Kawasaki touring bike didn't have fins either, also didn't last too long, but a transverse straight six is wicked wide. Ahead of their time no doubt. Now days there is usually lots of bodywork to hide "nekkid" cylinders. I think on the whole that off-road oriented riders are more concerned with performance, so probably less opposed to change. I don't believe that any of the liquid cooled MX machinery ever had fins.
When a motor company puts all of its effort into style but still produces low brow power and performance it's business model is suspect. Thats all I'm saying.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.