Author Topic: Exhaust mod  (Read 6234 times)

aussie650

• Scooter
  • 2019 Interceptor..AUSTRALIA
Reply #30 on: July 10, 2020, 05:53:04 am
Its easy. 

1. Loosen top screw in headlight shell and take off the front part.
2.Unplug the H4 and parking light and put aside the front part safely.
3.The H4 plug has 3 circuits. The green / white circuit is what we want.This is the low beam circuit. Cut away the black tape about a inch or so behind the H4 plug.
4.Now you have 3 wires... cut the green/white back from the H4 plug about an inch.
5.You will need about two lengths of auto wire ...and a on/off switch with led light to mount on the handlebar (22mm)...available from ebay,large selection.
6.Either solder or use male/female crimp plugs...join the two auto wires to the two   cut wires .I soldered and used heat shrink to insulate.
7.Wrap the wires in black insulation tape ...then run the loom through the back off the headlight up to the handlebar to where the switch is to be mounted.
8.Connect the two auto wires to the new on/off switch.
9.Recheck all ok.

The high beam stays as normal...all you need to do now is use the new switch for on/off for low beam when required.

Aussie 650

Haggisman....the tailight remains on....the only circuit used was the low beam circuit.

Aussie650

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Adelaide, South Aust- Conti GT 650 2019
Reply #31 on: July 10, 2020, 07:43:47 am
Just be warned that Plod may not approve and they're not known for being in tune with the finer points of motorcycle law. It'd be a bummer to be defected for not having a headlight on, if only because of the hassle of addressing it.
[/quote
I'm hearing you loud and clear, matey. Mind you , I'm swapping my blinkers etc for units which are questionable so it's probably a moot point.
I’d rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy...

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Adelaide, South Aust- Conti GT 650 2019
Reply #32 on: July 10, 2020, 10:03:51 am
How did we get to headlights  :-.
On that subject though I do not use the yellow flash button here in the US as people think you are letting them go and will pull out in front of you.
[/quote
My aussie bikes flasher's have always just the low beam ( or maybe the high beam?) no difference in colour.
I’d rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy...

interbanana

• Scooter
Reply #33 on: July 10, 2020, 10:17:54 am
Bad idea, or...?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzKyBSUQfuw

He's apparently a bike journo with 20yrs experience and also a qualified mechanic (based on his other videos), so he almost had me convinced to try. I like the look of the stock pipes but wouldn't mind a bit of a sound enhancement. I also like the idea of being able to completely return things to stock however, so that probably puts me off.

Baz

• Scooter
Reply #34 on: July 10, 2020, 10:33:00 am
Nice idea but you might need stock pipes for the annual test. Better to buy specific aftermarket silencers I think.
If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry....
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride motorcycles!

Haggisman

• Grease Monkey
  • Adelaide, Australia.
Reply #35 on: July 10, 2020, 10:45:22 am
Going to keep my exhaust as supplied
2019 Interceptor

Mike R

• Scooter
  • USA 2019 INT650
Reply #36 on: July 10, 2020, 04:26:15 pm
I am keeping the stock pipes intact.

Does anyone have experience with the TecBike slip-on mufflers?

https://www.tecbikepartsusa.com/Chrome_Slip_On_Mufflers_for_Royal_Enfield_650s_p/re-slip-ch.htm

Liberty Blacksmith

• Bulleteer
Reply #37 on: July 10, 2020, 04:52:25 pm

The way to get max performance, instead of max noise, is to drill a series of small holes (1/4") in a circular pattern in the baffles.
The procedure I learnt years ago was to pull a hill in a higher gear at a specific speed while noting the RPM. Drill one or two holes in the baffle, repeat and note the RPM, keeping the same speed. If I remember correctly the RPM will increase, continue to drill holes until there is no increase in RPM; then you have max performance, not max noise.
However, this was for carbureted machines-not sure it would work with the Interceptor and not sure it is advisable.
Point being, don't just drill a whopping big hole in the baffles to start with.
I rode an Interceptor with the S & S mufflers, nice gurgle, not too loud. Other than weight reduction, most aftermarket pipes do not increase performance, they just look cool or make a bunch of noise.
My two cents worth.
Frank

Upon reflection, I had this backwards. It is hold the RPM and watch the speedo increase at same RPM. It was 25 yrs. ago I did this, worked very well on a Suzuki Madura.

Baz

• Scooter
Reply #38 on: July 10, 2020, 04:56:09 pm
I am keeping the stock pipes intact.

Does anyone have experience with the TecBike slip-on mufflers?

https://www.tecbikepartsusa.com/Chrome_Slip_On_Mufflers_for_Royal_Enfield_650s_p/re-slip-ch.htm

Their cheapest pair have no baffles and will be LOUD. The best set are the TEC 304 Cannons which are well made with removable baffles, and you can see (and hear) them here: [size=78%]https://www.tecbikeparts.com/product/tec-304-stainless-pair-of-slip-on-cannon-silencers-royal-enfield-interceptor-650-continental-gt-650/[/size]

JettaKnight

• Fort Wayne, IN
  • Grease Monkey
  • USA 2020 650INT
Reply #39 on: July 10, 2020, 07:05:11 pm
Upon reflection, I had this backwards. It is hold the RPM and watch the speedo increase at same RPM. It was 25 yrs. ago I did this, worked very well on a Suzuki Madura.
Still doesn't make any sense.

How does the speed at the wheel increase, but the speed of the engine does not?

Baz

• Scooter
Reply #40 on: July 10, 2020, 07:18:50 pm

It can't unless you change the gearing  ;D

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #41 on: July 10, 2020, 09:20:23 pm
Still doesn't make any sense.

It's magic! It uses the same principle that causes red bikes to be the fastest. Even painting one red will give it a 3% increase in top speed.

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #42 on: July 11, 2020, 01:09:55 am
I put a "racing number" on my Cafe.....it goes faster now..how?

It's a r-a-c-i-n-g    n-u-m-b-e-r   of course the bike is faster..."racing"...

Cookie

I got a new volume knob for my guitar amp....it goes to 11

It's magic! It uses the same principle that causes red bikes to be the fastest. Even painting one red will give it a 3% increase in top speed.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2020, 01:12:01 am by twocoolgliders »

Heavy Duty Mick

• Scooter
Reply #43 on: July 11, 2020, 08:04:11 am
He's apparently a bike journo with 20yrs experience and also a qualified mechanic (based on his other videos), so he almost had me convinced to try. I like the look of the stock pipes but wouldn't mind a bit of a sound enhancement. I also like the idea of being able to completely return things to stock however, so that probably puts me off.

Having worked for and with Jeff, I can confirm that he is a journo with 20 years experience and also a qualified motorcycle mechanic. What he doesn't mention is that he is also an A-Grade road racer.

Jeff has enough experience to detect whether or not his bike is louder than stock after modifying his mufflers.

Mav

• Bulleteer
  • Nottingham UK
Reply #44 on: July 22, 2020, 08:46:09 am
I did this mod to my stock silencers, it makes a nice difference. Makes it more throaty, a little louder but not much. For such an easy mod, only takes 2 mins it’s worth a go if you just want a little more roar to your bike.
2023 Triumph Tiger 900 GT Pro
2019 Royal Enfield Interceptor