Author Topic: My Mods Thread - 2021 Royal Enfield Continental GT  (Read 78260 times)

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #30 on: January 13, 2021, 07:57:07 pm
Getting ready for installing the bar-end turn signals.  Only waiting for the protective sleeve for the wires.  That should be arriving today.  So looking forward to finishing this task today.  I will have to come back and install resistors... still searching on which ones to get.

So went ahead and drilled the holes on the bars for the wires.  Removed any burrs that could damage the wires...

Like so many others I simply got the Amazon adjustable flasher. Plug and play and you can adjust the speed however you like it. Fewer solder joints too.

And applied some paint to avoid any rust there...

wachuko

• Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Continental GT 650
Reply #31 on: January 13, 2021, 09:11:00 pm

Like so many others I simply got the Amazon adjustable flasher. Plug and play and you can adjust the speed however you like it. Fewer solder joints too.

Okay, same reference I just saw on this thread:  Motogadget m blaze pin turn signals 

And in this thread they provide a link to the flasher relay. 

And this thread has photos of the location of the flasher relay...

Ordering now.  Thank you!!  Here again is the link to the flasher relay:

Sdootauto 2 Pcs 12V 2-Pin Motorcycle Adjustable Flasher Turn Signal LED Flasher Relay Hyper Indicator Flash- Black

Ride safe!
Wachuko
‘21 Royal Enfield Continental GT 650
'19 BMW F 850 GS Adventure - Gone... Planning for a 2023/22 Himalayan next...

Semanticks

• Grease Monkey
  • 2019 Interceptor Ravishing Red
Reply #32 on: January 13, 2021, 09:21:34 pm
Thank you all for the kind words.  First time taking a crappy-looking tool and finishing it with a polished look.  Great practice exercise for when I have to clean/polish the engine case.  It was really not needed, but it was fun and pleased with the outcome (well, not with the gold line  ;D... that line came out bad, lol)

Masking tape will give it a sharp, straight edge. I like frog tape for that.
South Okanagan BC

2019 Interceptor Ravishing Red

wachuko

• Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Continental GT 650
Reply #33 on: January 13, 2021, 09:23:21 pm
Making a few adjustments to the under-seat cowl cover template...

I will keep it in place with two bolts.  I thought about using velcro or JB-weld some magnets, but since I am not sure what will be there, I want to make sure it does not fall, due to weight, when I take out the seat.

Rear bracket with rivet nut, is there with double face tape for now.  I will secure with JB-Weld

Ride safe!
Wachuko

wachuko

• Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Continental GT 650
Reply #34 on: January 13, 2021, 09:26:01 pm

Masking tape will give it a sharp, straight edge. I like frog tape for that.

I used tape for painting the black area... and when the black paint dried, I try using the tape as a guide, for the gold line... I accept that I suck at painting a straight line... Maybe if I had some of that thin masking tape they use for painting lines in cars, I could have gotten a better result.  I will get some and try that line again  ;)
Ride safe!
Wachuko

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #35 on: January 13, 2021, 10:59:13 pm
Making a few adjustments to the under-seat cowl cover template...

I will keep it in place with two bolts.  I thought about using velcro or JB-weld some magnets, but since I am not sure what will be there, I want to make sure it does not fall, due to weight, when I take out the seat.

Rear bracket with rivet nut, is there with double face tape for now.  I will secure with JB-Weld

Are those 2 big black posts rubber bungs or plastic? I wonder whether you could wrap an o ring around them to hold the front, and a slot instead of a hole at the back mount. So you could unwrap the oring and slide the panel out, with no tools needed. You're not going to put heavy stuff in there anyway.
It'd be worth revisiting the magnet idea... Rare earth magnets have a lot of holding power. Whatever it takes to have a tool free storage access. That's why I used the boat inspection port. The lid screws in and out by hand in a moment. I don't think there's room in the GT seat for one of those, though.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

wachuko

• Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Continental GT 650
Reply #36 on: January 14, 2021, 01:35:20 am
Are those 2 big black posts rubber bungs or plastic?

Plastic.  The rubber bungs go on there.  I removed them temporarily because of the saddlebags straps that go over.  The rubber bungs would not allow the seat to latch.  I install them back when not running with the saddlebags.

I wonder whether you could wrap an o ring around them to hold the front, and a slot instead of a hole at the back mount. So you could unwrap the oring and slide the panel out, with no tools needed. You're not going to put heavy stuff in there anyway.
It'd be worth revisiting the magnet idea... Rare earth magnets have a lot of holding power. Whatever it takes to have a tool free storage access. That's why I used the boat inspection port. The lid screws in and out by hand in a moment. I don't think there's room in the GT seat for one of those, though.

Mounting two rivet nuts for the two M4 bolts was easy... It is done now and just waiting for the JB Weld to cure.  No holes made to the cowl.  Only one hole made in the plastic seat pan on the furthest point in the back... meaning that it does not even come close to actual seating area, it is where the hump is located.

The other support is just JB-Welded to the seat cowl...

My plan, if it all fits in there, is to have all that is related to repairing a flat tire.  But I will not know for sure until it all arrives.  Still need to buy the spare inner tube.
Ride safe!
Wachuko

wachuko

• Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Continental GT 650
Reply #37 on: January 14, 2021, 03:31:02 am
Bar-end turn signals installed!

Cable sleeves installed

Weights inserted and installing the lights

Might put some black silicone sealant in there...

Testing them with a 9Volt battery to make sure the wires were not damage during the install...

All connectors done, wires organized, nice and neat to install headlight back.

Done!!

They are flashing correctly but from other threads, without the new relay, they will start flashing fast... will see.  The LED flash relay should be here Saturday.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 03:33:16 am by wachuko »
Ride safe!
Wachuko

wachuko

• Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Continental GT 650
Reply #38 on: January 14, 2021, 09:55:56 pm
Wished the dealer installed these as a courtesy to their customers...

Installed the battery tender charging pig tail.  I actually installed two, but the second one is for charging the phone.  I will connect an USB port from there.

Also, just for reference, took a photo of the stock toolkit.  Watching some videos from last year looks like the spark plug tool was not included, but t is now.

EDIT:  The small hex wrench is not from the toolkit.  I added that.  It is for the handlebar clock.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 10:00:54 pm by wachuko »
Ride safe!
Wachuko

wachuko

• Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Continental GT 650
Reply #39 on: January 14, 2021, 11:01:36 pm
Okay, got the smallest piece of Lexan at the hardware store and got to work.  The cowl lid is done!

And then, while I was finishing the lid, this arrived.  I can't believe how compact this is!!  That is an 8-1/2"x11" sheet of paper!

So of course I had to put it away!  There is enough space left for the patches, maybe the spare inner tube as well...  No way to get the compressor also in there (I tried)

Ride safe!
Wachuko

Marcsen

• Grease Monkey
Reply #40 on: January 15, 2021, 03:36:10 am
Why not drill a hole under the switchgear and Guide the cable along with all the others
Isle of rügen, germany .
Wachau austria

wachuko

• Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Continental GT 650
Reply #41 on: January 15, 2021, 03:51:37 am
Why not drill a hole under the switchgear and Guide the cable along with all the others

Because that idea/thought never occurred to me... :o  ::)  :-[.

So for anyone else doing this, learn from my mistake.  There is a better way!!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 04:11:32 am by wachuko »
Ride safe!
Wachuko

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #42 on: January 15, 2021, 11:48:22 am
Super deluxe! That's great. Too bad you need tools to get to your tools but I bet you figure something out.
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

wachuko

• Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Continental GT 650
Reply #43 on: January 15, 2021, 12:31:46 pm
Super deluxe! That's great. Too bad you need tools to get to your tools but I bet you figure something out.

Yes, I agree.  But could not find these in that thread size...

I should have made the rivet nuts larger to accommodate that 1/4" quick release screw.

Again, now that is done, better ideas will surface.  I can always come back and redo it...

For now, I just added that hex wrench to the factory toolkit.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 12:34:41 pm by wachuko »
Ride safe!
Wachuko

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #44 on: January 15, 2021, 01:17:57 pm
You can buy quick release d ring Dzus fasteners for motorbike fairings. They'd be perfect. Have a look on ebay.
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E