Author Topic: My Mods Thread - 2021 Royal Enfield Continental GT  (Read 80331 times)

wachuko

• Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Continental GT 650
Reply #60 on: January 22, 2021, 08:37:12 pm
Would not install any taillights and destroy the short tail look .

Look out for kellermann atto dark 3in1 . They are tiny and you can keep the clean tail look

Wow!  Those lights are tiny!!  Thank you for the suggestion!

So it would be the part Number 2858   - Kuryakyn by Kellermann, Atto DF, Red/Red/Amber, Satin Black

https://www.kuryakyn.com/products/6148/kuryakyn-by-kellermann-atto-collection

« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 08:40:45 pm by wachuko »
Ride safe!
Wachuko
‘21 Royal Enfield Continental GT 650
'19 BMW F 850 GS Adventure - Gone... Planning for a 2023/22 Himalayan next...

wachuko

• Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Continental GT 650
Reply #61 on: January 22, 2021, 11:00:34 pm
I really want to go forward with installing the short tail kit...

But I want to also be able to use the rear rack I just purchased for longer trips...

Want to have my cake and eat it too, if you will...

Has anyone done setups that can be swapped?

I am thinking that when I cut the stock loop, to weld rods at the ends .  Make holes on the part that remains in the bike... make threaded holes on those rods... that way I can swap between short or long tail and hold them in place with bolts underneath...

Lights will be using the stock plug, so those can be unplugged without major issues during swaps...

I hope that made sense.  Thoughts? Comments?  Suggestions?

On other news, I wanted a tool roll bag... there was the one that I really wanted but was not willing to pay the asking price...

KrukGarageWorkstyle Leather Tool Roll

And there were these two that I kept going back and forth on them...  the Burly Voyager Tool Roll and the Tripmachine

Ended up ordering the Tripmachine in Tobacco

I also wanted to try a different exhaust, but did not wanted to spend too much... trying these first... Order placed today: EMGO Cafe Muffler Chrome 80-84032

Eventually I want to get the Scorpion exhaust in chrome with the black tips... but did not feel like spending US$630+ on them right now... well, because the wife is watching  :o
« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 11:15:38 pm by wachuko »
Ride safe!
Wachuko

Marcsen

• Grease Monkey
Reply #62 on: January 22, 2021, 11:47:37 pm
Yes those are right . Friend of mine did a small Sandwich plate that goes between the aftermarket loop and the original frame with 8mm threads to mount those . Optional you could go with shock mounts.

See those are barely noticeable. Also he 3d prints his own loops.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 11:50:38 pm by Marcsen »
Isle of rügen, germany .
Wachau austria

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #63 on: January 23, 2021, 12:53:45 am
I really want to go forward with installing the short tail kit...

But I want to also be able to use the rear rack I just purchased for longer trips...

Want to have my cake and eat it too, if you will...

Has anyone done setups that can be swapped?

I am thinking that when I cut the stock loop, to weld rods at the ends .  Make holes on the part that remains in the bike... make threaded holes on those rods... that way I can swap between short or long tail and hold them in place with bolts underneath...

Lights will be using the stock plug, so those can be unplugged without major issues during swaps...

I hope that made sense.  Thoughts? Comments?  Suggestions?
Not exactly, but sorta ...  I don't have a short loop but I have EZ on / EZ off large luggage rack. I fabricated what amounts to "receiver tubes" into which my luggage rack slides in with a catch bolt to keep it there.
I think what you are after makes sense. You will end up (maybe) reworking the rack with welded on solid rod stock to slide into the end tubes of the frame. the rod plugs need to be at least 3 inches long and fastened with two bolts on each leg. Seat comes off / fancy new loop slides out / luggage rack slides in. Your rack might have permanent lights.
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

Marcsen

• Grease Monkey
Reply #64 on: January 23, 2021, 02:06:09 am
And also . Does the clean short tail caferacer look needs lugage bags ?
Isle of rügen, germany .
Wachau austria

downwardvd

• Scooter
Reply #65 on: January 23, 2021, 01:03:49 pm
You cant go wrong with the EMGO Cafe for the price and the sound, they look great but also sound 100% better than stock.While they are loud , they are not obnoxious.....check out my video with the sound comparisons

https://youtu.be/NhBHBuYN6Ms

wachuko

• Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Continental GT 650
Reply #66 on: January 23, 2021, 02:08:56 pm
You cant go wrong with the EMGO Cafe for the price and the sound, they look great but also sound 100% better than stock.While they are loud , they are not obnoxious.....check out my video with the sound comparisons

https://youtu.be/NhBHBuYN6Ms

Great comparison video!  Thank you for sharing the link.

Any chance you calculated weight savings?
Ride safe!
Wachuko

wachuko

• Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Continental GT 650
Reply #67 on: January 23, 2021, 02:15:56 pm
Not exactly, but sorta ...  I don't have a short loop but I have EZ on / EZ off large luggage rack. I fabricated what amounts to "receiver tubes" into which my luggage rack slides in with a catch bolt to keep it there.
I think what you are after makes sense. You will end up (maybe) reworking the rack with welded on solid rod stock to slide into the end tubes of the frame. the rod plugs need to be at least 3 inches long and fastened with two bolts on each leg. Seat comes off / fancy new loop slides out / luggage rack slides in. Your rack might have permanent lights.

That is the idea... the receiver tubes in my case will be the ones on the frame of the bike...  rods on the tails.  Two bolts on each side (hopefully there is enough space for two).  So yes, you got the idea.

I was planning on using the stock loop that I cut.  That has the two mounting points for the rack (where the handrail bolts to). 

And yes, each tail with permanent light setup using stock harness plug.

Let me stop by the local metal supply store for those rods.  I do not think that I need anything else for this project at this time.
Ride safe!
Wachuko

wachuko

• Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Continental GT 650
Reply #68 on: January 23, 2021, 02:17:37 pm
And also . Does the clean short tail caferacer look needs lugage bags ?

Bags are not fixed in place... I remove or install them based on the kind of ride that I am doing...
Ride safe!
Wachuko

wachuko

• Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Continental GT 650
Reply #69 on: January 23, 2021, 02:47:27 pm
Yes those are right . Friend of mine did a small Sandwich plate that goes between the aftermarket loop and the original frame with 8mm threads to mount those . Optional you could go with shock mounts.

See those are barely noticeable. Also he 3d prints his own loops.

Very clean.  Nice  8). Thank you for the photos

Let me see what I can do with what I have so far before getting more parts.
Ride safe!
Wachuko

Marcsen

• Grease Monkey
Reply #70 on: January 23, 2021, 10:07:55 pm
Isle of rügen, germany .
Wachau austria

wachuko

• Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Continental GT 650
Reply #71 on: January 24, 2021, 04:03:00 am
  https://youtu.be/2kFXHYjkTZ4         He got the emgo exhaust also

Ohhh yeaaaaaaahh....   Cool video.  I was sold at "Insert coins"   

I will share photos once installed.  Hope to do so before the next weekend is here.
Ride safe!
Wachuko

HanPolo

• Scooter
  • Owner of a 2021 RE Continental GT 650
Reply #72 on: January 24, 2021, 11:13:08 pm
I’m fairly certain I purchased my Continental GT from the same dealership that you did, just a few days earlier. I got mine on Dec 26th. I’m excited to read about your mods. I may be asking some questions as I read through the thread.

(BTW, I always wear a helmet, I was just posing in this picture because I was excited about my new bike.)
2021 Continental GT 650

wachuko

• Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Continental GT 650
Reply #73 on: January 25, 2021, 02:57:47 am
I’m fairly certain I purchased my Continental GT from the same dealership that you did, just a few days earlier. I got mine on Dec 26th. I’m excited to read about your mods. I may be asking some questions as I read through the thread.

(BTW, I always wear a helmet, I was just posing in this picture because I was excited about my new bike.)

Congratulations!!   I got mine from James at Fun Bike Center in Lakeland. 

Ask away!!  If I can't answer there is bound to be someone in this forum more knowledgable than me  ;).

I have to say... I am really, really enjoying this bike!!!

And yes, same here, I wear full gear when going out... as much as I like the wind in my face from not wearing a helmet, I prefer to wear protective gear always.  You can see the helmet hanging from the mirror...

I am in Orlando... near Waterford Lakes... Let me know if there is anything that I can help with.
Ride safe!
Wachuko

HanPolo

• Scooter
  • Owner of a 2021 RE Continental GT 650
Reply #74 on: January 25, 2021, 03:33:19 am
James was my salesperson too! I grew up less than a mile from Fun Bike Center and my parents still live nearby. I’m in St Pete now. Such a small world.

So do you mind sharing where you ordered from. I read in your first post that it was easier to order straight from India. Do you recommend any specific retailers? Thanks so much!

How are you enjoying the ride? I took mine up to Pasco county to hit some back roads to break in the engine. I still have about 280 miles to go before it’s completely broken in. I’m not sure how strict most people are about the break in period but I’m trying to follow the recommendation from the manual.
2021 Continental GT 650