Author Topic: Now work the Tripper Pad?  (Read 5049 times)

Ferdi

• Scooter
  • Interceptor 650 Chrome/ Meteor Stellar Black
on: November 19, 2020, 11:55:18 pm
Hello everyboby
I'm a Interceptor owner but I have interesting about this new model. I live in Italy
Someone have see well the Tripper Pad? The style Is like the Twins instruments.
This pad Is possible to mount in the others RE model? I think It Need only the 12v for start and run.
This pad can connect with the smartphone and with the Google navigazione, but Need the app. Where Is this app?
Another question I have see the windscreen about the Meteor and for me Is possible to mount in the Twins.
Re Is thinking a modular sistem?
Emotions are difficult to describe, better "live them"

Ferdi

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: November 25, 2020, 07:35:58 am
It is very strange that I am asking this question all over the Royal Enfield spaces but nobody knows anything? :-\

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #2 on: November 25, 2020, 11:21:56 am
Apart from the odd development model at the UK technical centre, I very much doubt whether anyone outside India has managed to get their hands on one yet!

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #3 on: November 25, 2020, 11:25:50 am
Apart from the odd development model at the UK technical centre, I very much doubt whether anyone outside India has managed to get their hands on one yet!

A.

OK, I'll bite. What the hell is a Tripper Pad?
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #4 on: November 25, 2020, 11:45:36 am
They'd better re-name that before it gets to the German importer!  :o

https://en.langenscheidt.com/german-english/tripper

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #5 on: November 27, 2020, 05:06:35 pm
           OK, I'll bite. What the hell is a Tripper Pad?

The "Tripper" is what they're calling the little Android ("Powered by Google") Bluetooth navigation pod instrument that's being introduced on the new Meteor line of bikes. Their "Boss Man" Siddhartha Lal describes it beginning about 9:53 in the company's introduction video for the new model line at https://youtu.be/vbIpO3yMkyQ, much of which was oddly enough filmed in Wales. Shame they didn't think to drop that bike off with our Forum's own beloved resident Welshman and "Bullet Whisperer", aka Paul Henshaw, so that he could REALLY run that thing through its paces on those hedgerowed byways of his for his popular channel at
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcxcOWPcVIykzWG_lqWuRWg.
As "Adrian II" has already pointed out, the choice of the moniker "Tripper" may hoist a few raised eyebrows in their German-speaking markets, where "Tripper" is common slang for "the clap" (gonorrhea).

For those really interested in getting "Der Tripper", there's a more detailed rundown by Royal Enfield on it here: https://youtu.be/4XZZSGIyRnI. For everyone else, there's this: https://youtu.be/ZmbxinvLONE

To answer the original poster's question, there's apparently no word yet on whether Enfield plans to include the system on other models or perhaps sell it separately as an aftermarket item.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2020, 05:23:18 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Marcsen

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: November 27, 2020, 07:43:53 pm
Also it only works with the RE app wich is only available in india , but i got it working with the .apk
Isle of rĂ¼gen, germany .
Wachau austria

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #7 on: November 28, 2020, 12:49:33 am
Nobody has a map, cell phone or Garmin? I generally know where I am, or I'll stop & sort it out. I'm kinda at a loss as to exactly why you need more distractions when riding your bike anyway, let alone pay extra money for them. It'd be nice to have the option to leave "Tripper" off and save $200 in my book. We're selling transportation here, not an internet lifestyle. All you probably "need" is a speedo, trip-resettable odometer, MAYBE turn signal & hi-beam indicators. Gas level? Just look in the tank. Neutral light, really? If you can't tell if you are in neutral...?  Keep it simple, it's a 20 HP cruiser.
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #8 on: November 28, 2020, 11:54:32 am
Nobody has a map, cell phone or Garmin? I generally know where I am, or I'll stop & sort it out. I'm kinda at a loss as to exactly why you need more distractions when riding your bike anyway, let alone pay extra money for them. It'd be nice to have the option to leave "Tripper" off and save $200 in my book. We're selling transportation here, not an internet lifestyle. All you probably "need" is a speedo, trip-resettable odometer, MAYBE turn signal & hi-beam indicators. Gas level? Just look in the tank. Neutral light, really? If you can't tell if you are in neutral...?  Keep it simple, it's a 20 HP cruiser.

It's a new world. Nowadays people want everything they have in their cars that they have in their electronically-controlled houses. The car (or whatever they call their vehicle) has become just another electronic device with doors and 4 wheels to move it around on. So why not motorcycles also?

The last car trips I remember really enjoying were in the '60s and '70s were multi-thousand mile ones with my dog-eared Rand-McNally Road Atlas; the 1st was 6,000 from RI to Wyoming, then down into Mexico, then up to Las Vegas, then back east to RI in a 1960 Alfa Veloce Giulietta. Another was 5,000 in a '61 Volvo and later 9,000 in a 1960 VDub Bus.

Nowadays it seems people can't get to the grocery store and back home without GPS and even in the store I see guys being lead around by a phone stuck to the side of their head.

But waddoowyno? I'm a dinosaur  :)[/img]   I'm not in the demographic any more.

RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Ferdi

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: November 28, 2020, 09:51:50 pm
I want to premise that I opened this topic not because I felt the need to have a GPS navigator but only for a question of curiosity that I have about the whole Royal Enfield world.
The only (really poor quality) video I found for the TRIPPER PAD is this:
https://youtu.be/RIuzdFxAlQQ
everything works with the Royal Enfield APP.
From me in Italy on our Playstore it is not available and I think it is only for India.
However, I downloaded the APK version 6.0 on the web and now the NAVIGATE item appears in the program menu, but .......
It is not possible to use it, because the program asks for a login and confirmation of a numeric code by SMS which must have an Indian phone number.  :-\
So (at the moment) it can ONLY be used in India.
The Tripper pad can be ordered at showrooms in india and costs around INR 5000

20MarkIII

• Grand Gearhead
  • East Central Indiana, USA
Reply #10 on: December 05, 2020, 03:07:26 am
Exactly!!

dlapierre

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: December 05, 2020, 06:22:32 pm
I've been employing my own "tripper pad" for a few years, now. I use a hand-me-down cell phone onto which I've downloaded a tracking app called SkiTrax. There are several apps like that one available online for pennies.
I set it to track myself, which it does, as I travel. It tracks my elevation, speed, and distance travelled in real time.
Because my cell phone has a gps function built in, I can see exactly where I am at any time just as if I am looking down at myself from some high elevation location...not just the road, but the topography, too, just like a photograph.
I use it to see how close I might be to fishing lakes as I travel logging roads here in the British Columbia interior region.
I save the records of those trips so I can look at them using Google Earth later on my laptop.
If the Tripper feature can do all that, it'l be a cool feature, unless you just don't need it. I don't need it because I've found a very good substitute.

20MarkIII

• Grand Gearhead
  • East Central Indiana, USA
Reply #12 on: December 05, 2020, 08:19:56 pm
It may be fine in countries that embrace a 350 cc bike for touring unfamiliar areas. It would be more useful perhaps on the INT 650 BUT personally I love the retro large speedometer and tach set symmetrically where they're at on the INT. Yes a Garmin/cell phone attached to the handlebar via a specific mount makes more sense to me... on any bike.

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: December 15, 2020, 02:59:39 am

Well said. motorcycles should be simple and intuitive.

Nitrowing

• Grease Monkey
Reply #14 on: December 15, 2020, 09:59:44 am
Disclaimer: I am a gadget freak.
However, the very place I don't want any distractions is when I'm riding a bike. Yes, my GoldWing looks like an aeroplane cockpit but, like an aeroplane, very little of what's in front of me is actually used while traveling once you're happy with how it's set up.
The only time I need GPS is the last mile or so to get to an unfamiliar destination.
No wonder we no longer have a motor industry