Author Topic: 1157 LED taillight  (Read 3296 times)

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
on: October 30, 2019, 11:48:32 pm
Remember the "dark" days of the first LED replacement bulbs? You find a place that sells them, buy and install it only to find it doesn't work as well as the incandescent.  >:( Well I'm happy to report those days are over! I just installed one from superbrightleds.com. It has two sets of LEDs. Obviously it has a set of red that face out through the lens. Another set of white ones that not only illuminate the license plate but also the reflector that the incandescent would hit. The result is a bulb that uses less power, puts out more light and will last forever. It was $13.

Part #1157-R19W6

hpwaco

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: November 01, 2019, 12:10:34 am
I put a cheap ebay 1157 led in my 14gt in '15 and its still burning bright.  Also a license plate frame with leds  wired into brake light.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #2 on: November 01, 2019, 10:04:48 am
Remember the "dark" days of the first LED replacement bulbs? You find a place that sells them, buy and install it only to find it doesn't work as well as the incandescent.  >:( Well I'm happy to report those days are over! I just installed one from superbrightleds.com. It has two sets of LEDs. Obviously it has a set of red that face out through the lens. Another set of white ones that not only illuminate the license plate but also the reflector that the incandescent would hit. The result is a bulb that uses less power, puts out more light and will last forever. It was $13.

Part #1157-R19W6

This is good news to me and would you do me a favor?

I have an aftermarket tail/brake light. It's a reproduction of the Lucas that would have been on the 1930s Brit bikes. I like it.

Years ago I ordered two of the early 1157 LED replacements. When they arrived I saw that they were a bit longer than the incandescent 1157s. Sure as shit they were just enough longer so as to not allow the lens housing to be locked back on.

Would you please verify for me that this latest LED 1157 bulb is the same overall length as the incandescent 1157?  The specs and pictures show them equal now, but I don't trust anything any more without direct evidence . 
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

hpwaco

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: November 03, 2019, 03:43:09 am
Sorry, can't help.   Have stock tail light and led fit fine.    The little turn signal bulbs are another matter.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #4 on: November 03, 2019, 12:34:23 pm
Sorry, can't help.   Have stock tail light and led fit fine.    The little turn signal bulbs are another matter.

Thanks. I'm waitin' for olhogrider to wake up and get his tape measure out :) :) :) and tell me that his new LED bulb is the same overall length as the old 1157.

I'm patient.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: November 19, 2019, 11:07:00 pm
       Thanks. I'm waitin' for olhogrider to wake up and get his tape measure out :) :) :) and tell me that his new LED bulb is the same overall length as the old 1157.

I'm patient.

I just saw this :-[

I'll go look now but I think they are the same length.

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: November 19, 2019, 11:26:18 pm
Sorry I missed the question. 45mm by 25mm diameter.