Author Topic: UK made exhaust  (Read 1225 times)

Mr_84

• Grease Monkey
on: August 17, 2021, 05:52:16 am
I recently purchased a Indian short bottle muffler only to have it begin to brake the baffles inside like the one I replaced it for , while not an issue at the moment but if you give it a bit of a tap or kick it makes a rattle jangly sound, so its about to turn to kack, H's have a UK made muffler P/n 37982 . I was also looking at the whole system 1950s style https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/accessory-shop/Exhaust-System-1950s/21515 , what I was wanting to know is it looks like it has an extra mounting point on the header down by the foot peg anyone know about that?

Nitrowing

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: August 17, 2021, 08:16:10 am
Attachment point for a heat shield?  ???
No wonder we no longer have a motor industry

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #2 on: August 17, 2021, 11:43:16 am
Not on the older models. Originally they would have had the "short bottle" silencer/muffler and a long exhaust pipe. The pipe would have the bracket to bolt to the frame using the long ⅜" stud the passes through the back of the rear engine plates.

When the factory wanted less exhaust noise they went for longer silencers/mufflers, but to avoid having the things hanging too far out the back of the bike (at least to start with!) they fitted shorter pipes to keep the overall length the same. Shortening the pipe meant losing the bracket for the frame, so they fitted them to the front of the silencer, which was now in the equivalent position.

Compare an early Indian Bullet with a 90's model and you get the idea. Later still the silencers grew even longer in an attempt to reduce noise a bit more, but as they couldn't shorten the pipe any further the longer silencers did end up just sticking out further at the back after all.

Just be aware that many of Hitchcocks' silencers are the straight-through type rather than having baffles, so they will be pretty loud, even with a mute fitted. Check which sort you're getting.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

ddavidv

• Prefers "Your Majesty"
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: August 17, 2021, 12:55:29 pm
I have H's short bottle muffler. It's "rorty". And it's gotten louder over time. Quality is quite good though.
2023 Scram 411, 2007 five speed 'Deluxe', 1964 750 Interceptor

Mr_84

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: August 17, 2021, 02:49:38 pm
Adrian II thanks for the insight that has left me some pondering to do. ddavidv did you purchase the UK muffler ? I got the Indian one from H's sound is nice, but the previous one got very loud and unpleasant sound resulted , my thinking is that the noise and bad sound will be going to happen to the current muffler as the baffles are going loose

ddavidv

• Prefers "Your Majesty"
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: August 18, 2021, 12:57:08 pm
I got the English made one.
2023 Scram 411, 2007 five speed 'Deluxe', 1964 750 Interceptor

Mr_84

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: August 19, 2021, 07:11:33 am
Got a chance today to cut open my original Indian rusty short bottle that went loud and jangly rattle , as you can see it has three tubes and the disc at the inlet end that has come free , only held by three very small brazing welds . My new short bottle has just broken the disc from the outer case but is still attached to the baffles I'm going to try to use my knowledge from this old muffler to fix the new one before it turns to kack , the trick will be to have minimal damage to the chrome, easier said than done I suspect

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #7 on: August 19, 2021, 10:29:03 am
I don't know if it's available in NZ, our friends in the USA have access to chrome-effect ceramic coating. The examples I saw were hard to distinguish from plating, maybe the give-away is if it fails to turn blue.

This is not the usual decorative powder coating but a very high temperature finish for exhausts.

The ideal would be to use your Indian shortie as a pattern for a fully stainless steel replica, maybe by someone who doesn't try and save money by inadequate internal welding...

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Mr_84

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: August 20, 2021, 10:04:35 am
I measured down from the inlet side to the first baffle plate on my new Indian short bottle, then drilled several holes carefully placed so not to be seen easily, through from the outside then weld the plate back to the outer case, I was very surprised that the chrome didn't burn away and discolour . Looks like it was a success for now, no rattle or jangle 🤞and still left with a muffler that doesn't look butcherd