Author Topic: Gear position Indicater  (Read 1631 times)

Guldner

• Scooter
  • If fossil fuels ain’t used, I ain’t interested.
on: June 08, 2021, 11:18:10 pm
Ev’nin

There I was pootling along, remember I’m running in.

Looked down at the dash 😱 were the gear indicator should be -  🤔 Bugger…pulled up, green light N and a 0 …into gear - ……mileage 666 …..do do do do……tootled along….still -   So stopped….turned the bike off…..wait 10~15 seconds …I don’t know why….power up….start….into gear - Ho hum……

Visit local Stealership, “ There’s something wrong there, you need to prove that the bike has been serviced & ownership, the computer has no service history “

So, next day, owners manual with 2 stamps, 310 mls original RE dealership. And 494 RiteBike when I bought the bike…

RiteBike: Not an official RE dealership….”We can’t recognise them, but the bike is less than 1yr old (just) so 1yr Service not needed (3000mls) “

The guy fills in, on the computer, out of site, oodles of Q’s…with photos of proof and explanation of problem.

Yep they won’t accept a problem without photographic proof, the guy was worried if he’d taken enough photos.

My Q’s…..Based on receipts in my dossier, previous owner paid £136:00 for his “Free first Service “

1) Being a qualified mechanic, and want to do my own servicing, how do I prove it?

2) If, like quite a few of you out there, you live too far away from your “Local” RE Stealership, how do you prove servicing? If’n warranty claim.

3) Knowing I won’t clock up another 2000mls very soon, therefore a 1 yr Service, in 12 days, will be required. I don’t want to pay for a “Free Service “ that’s not necessary.

I want to keep the warranty, another year (and 12 days to go) but I find it SO Damn Frustrating that to do so, some how I have to prove that servicing has been carried out.

I can take on board RE has to cover arse, I understand that out there, there are nar-do-wells. Somehow, when “Average Joe” buys genuine filters, oil and consumables that’s proof that the jobs done. We’re Enthusiasts where these bikes are concerned! Are we not?🤔 To the point of buying “Special Tools” for tapper adjustment etc…Has anyone come across problems proving servicing?

Think that’s this evenings rant over  ;)

Have fun, stay safe

G🥸
15 mls E of were Steel was invented & 10mls S of Mallard being Built 😎

oldphart

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: June 08, 2021, 11:54:13 pm
Photographs are a standard RE requirement for warranty claims - makes sense for some things, not for others, but they like them.

Here in Australia, despite all motoring companies trying to claim you have to use one of their dealers, it's law that it only has to be a qualified mechanic. Mind you, these days with the increasing computerisation and needing special software to do stuff, it's a bit of a moot point because the companies only supply their software to their dealers. That doesn't apply to RE of course, I don't think we've got anything that fancy in there... yet.

I pretty much abandoned the 'warranty' after the 5,000 km service because I was being stuffed around by my dealer. Other dealers here in Australia are good, so YMMV.

I can't help with the gear indicator. I recall others having issues by can't remember what they were or how they were fixed, maybe by a warranty claim.
Grandpa Slow

2021 Classic 500

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: June 17, 2021, 07:49:03 pm
What country are you in?  in the states, the dealers can't pull shenanigans' like that.

Guldner

• Scooter
  • If fossil fuels ain’t used, I ain’t interested.
Reply #3 on: June 17, 2021, 10:26:29 pm

:)

Hello mrunderhill1972a

I’m in Dear ole Blighty…Ingerlund…Themz that won t’world cup in 1966 and behave as though it was last neet….The Country that invented the “Jump Jet” and gave the technology away…The place that every body wants to visit, which has about every landscape other places in the world has & Home to the most famous Lady in the World 😉😎
15 mls E of were Steel was invented & 10mls S of Mallard being Built 😎

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #4 on: June 18, 2021, 06:50:57 am
The dealership holds no sway over me. I'm with OldPhart - I pull my own maintenance, I abhor paying people to practice on my hardware. Once out the door it's mine. The Himalayan is a good piece, you are likely better off sorting any tuning oddities via this forum anyway rather than having a machine languish at a dealer while they wait for instructions. You are the only guy in the process truly concerned with not walking back, you are the best process quality control you are going to find.

As for a gear indicator, I've seldom even seen a neutral light that made it a year, let alone a system as complex as a gear indicator would need be. Just more rubbish you don't need, you KNOW what gear you need to be in, just make it happen. The basic package is sound; good gearbox, nice wide powerband, adequate suspension, decent geometry, good rider comfort. Just break it in gently, you can feel when the motor is straining or lugging. Change oil often, oil's cheap. There's no voodoo here, just allowing time & lubrication to work their magic as the parts get used to each other. If it's an EFI machine, add an over filter to keep crud out of the fuel pump, maybe a bit of Marvel Oil to preclude tank rust. Stay on top of the valves & cam chain and enjoy that Himalayan.
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: June 18, 2021, 02:30:10 pm
Ev’nin

There I was pootling along, remember I’m running in.

Looked down at the dash 😱 were the gear indicator should be -  🤔 Bugger…pulled up, green light N and a 0 …into gear - ……mileage 666 …..do do do do……tootled along….still -   So stopped….turned the bike off…..wait 10~15 seconds …I don’t know why….power up….start….into gear - Ho hum……

Visit local Stealership, “ There’s something wrong there, you need to prove that the bike has been serviced & ownership, the computer has no service history “

So, next day, owners manual with 2 stamps, 310 mls original RE dealership. And 494 RiteBike when I bought the bike…

RiteBike: Not an official RE dealership….”We can’t recognise them, but the bike is less than 1yr old (just) so 1yr Service not needed (3000mls) “

The guy fills in, on the computer, out of site, oodles of Q’s…with photos of proof and explanation of problem.

Yep they won’t accept a problem without photographic proof, the guy was worried if he’d taken enough photos.

My Q’s…..Based on receipts in my dossier, previous owner paid £136:00 for his “Free first Service “

1) Being a qualified mechanic, and want to do my own servicing, how do I prove it?

2) If, like quite a few of you out there, you live too far away from your “Local” RE Stealership, how do you prove servicing? If’n warranty claim.

3) Knowing I won’t clock up another 2000mls very soon, therefore a 1 yr Service, in 12 days, will be required. I don’t want to pay for a “Free Service “ that’s not necessary.

I want to keep the warranty, another year (and 12 days to go) but I find it SO Damn Frustrating that to do so, some how I have to prove that servicing has been carried out.

I can take on board RE has to cover arse, I understand that out there, there are nar-do-wells. Somehow, when “Average Joe” buys genuine filters, oil and consumables that’s proof that the jobs done. We’re Enthusiasts where these bikes are concerned! Are we not?🤔 To the point of buying “Special Tools” for tapper adjustment etc…Has anyone come across problems proving servicing?

Think that’s this evenings rant over  ;)

Have fun, stay safe

G🥸

If you're intent on having the dealership repair your gear indicator under warranty I'd suggest you shop around and find another dealership that will work with you. Speaking strictly from a factual point of view nothing about the gear position indicator and it's associated components are affected by any aspect of regular maintenance. For a dealer to suggest otherwise is just silly and indicates to me that they aren't even trying to be helpful.

In the US it's illegal to deny a warranty claim simply because the bike wasn't serviced by authorized dealership or anyone else for that matter. If the OEM can't prove that the failed part was caused by negligence, which in your case it obviously wasn't they are legally bound to fix it, regardless of what you may or may have not done to any other portion of the motorcycle. Being that you're in England your results may differ, but it sounds to me like the dealer is just being a pain in the ass.

I agree with the others that suggest you're better off repairing things on your own, but in this case were talking about some expensive parts that may have failed: the instrument cluster for example, that you probably don't want to replace on your own.

My own guess, based on 7500 miles of Himalayan ownership is that you have a loose  or compromised connection in the indicator harness, but that's only a guess.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #6 on: June 18, 2021, 07:34:47 pm
Zimmemr - Can you toss the foo foo cluster and graft a VDO with trip reset knob on these? Or is the wizardry too integrated? Is there even a speedo cable? How about one of those nifty "hardened" enduro widgets with time, distance & speed?

Other than the (I think) "Code Blink" function for troubleshooting the EFI(if so equipped), I can't think of anything I'd miss from the "cluster". Likely the shop has a plug-in diagnostic tool anyway.

Headlight Hi/Lo is easy enough to check, IF you even ride at night. The blinker lenses are visible if you don't trust the switch position. Neutral and gear position is worthless when riding, you know by seat-of-the-pants, sound & touch about what's happening at the business end. The compass is vague, the fuel gage is something we've lived without for 60+ years. I see these foo foo aids as more of a distraction than useful. Look in the tank, check your trip meter, look around at where you are as you are riding along. A VDO speedometer gives you everything you "need". Occasionally it keeps you at the approved legal pace in town, and the trip reset function is useful in guesstimating fuel or miles remaining.

The Himalayan is a nice package. As long as the mechanical bits function properly, the spark sparks & the EFI mixes, the rest is supercargo. If you could take the pricy "cluster" off and save it for the next owner, a basic speedometer would provide all the info you really need to enjoy the machine. Simple is good.

A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: June 19, 2021, 01:35:22 pm
Zimmemr - Can you toss the foo foo cluster and graft a VDO with trip reset knob on these? Or is the wizardry too integrated? Is there even a speedo cable? How about one of those nifty "hardened" enduro widgets with time, distance & speed?

Other than the (I think) "Code Blink" function for troubleshooting the EFI(if so equipped), I can't think of anything I'd miss from the "cluster". Likely the shop has a plug-in diagnostic tool anyway.

Headlight Hi/Lo is easy enough to check, IF you even ride at night. The blinker lenses are visible if you don't trust the switch position. Neutral and gear position is worthless when riding, you know by seat-of-the-pants, sound & touch about what's happening at the business end. The compass is vague, the fuel gage is something we've lived without for 60+ years. I see these foo foo aids as more of a distraction than useful. Look in the tank, check your trip meter, look around at where you are as you are riding along. A VDO speedometer gives you everything you "need". Occasionally it keeps you at the approved legal pace in town, and the trip reset function is useful in guesstimating fuel or miles remaining.

The Himalayan is a nice package. As long as the mechanical bits function properly, the spark sparks & the EFI mixes, the rest is supercargo. If you could take the pricy "cluster" off and save it for the next owner, a basic speedometer would provide all the info you really need to enjoy the machine. Simple is good.

Everything in the dash is electronic, including the speedo drive, technically the drive is electric over mechanical, but the output is via wire. That being the case it wouldn't be hard to identify which circuits you wanted to keep and dispense with the rest. It seems to me I've seen a couple examples where the owner has done just that.

Mine is well out of warranty, so if I was faced with a major cluster failure I'd just install a nice electronic Smith's replica speedo, install a high beam indicator in the head light shell and dispense with everything else. I'm pretty sure I could ride mine a very long way without knowing what time it was, what the air intake temperature is or which way the silly compass thinks I'm heading. I rode for a lot of years on bikes that didn't have gear position indicators or even neutral lights, so that'd be no problem and as far as the MIL light, the bike will let you know if there's a problem and you can troubleshoot it with a scan tool if it does.