Author Topic: Speedometer stopped working  (Read 5445 times)

Jokor

• Scooter
  • The chase is better than the catch
on: May 05, 2021, 07:20:36 am
Hello everyone,

Yesterday on the highway the speedometer stopped working.
Back home I checked on both sides if there was something loose but everything seemed OK.

I screwed on both sides the cable loose to check the connections and on the speedometer side it looked like it was worn out (see photo right hand side).

Can anyone confirm this? Or is this normal?

Thanks, Jorn
Royal Enfield Bullet 500 model 2007

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #1 on: May 05, 2021, 11:44:15 am
Hello everyone,

Yesterday on the highway the speedometer stopped working.
Back home I checked on both sides if there was something loose but everything seemed OK.

I screwed on both sides the cable loose to check the connections and on the speedometer side it looked like it was worn out (see photo right hand side).

Can anyone confirm this? Or is this normal?

Thanks, Jorn

If the end of the cable isn't square it can't work. It will just spin inside the square hole that it mates with.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #2 on: May 05, 2021, 12:53:45 pm
Just to concur with and expand upon 'Tooseevee's' advice, that cable end does look mauled. Here is a selection of speedo cables, etc. from our Forum host's Online Parts Catalog offering various lengths to suit different models, most for about £25: https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/s.nl?ext=F&sc=1&category=&search=cable%20speedo. You would do well before ordering to closely examine the item's "Fitting Guide" and/or contact Hitchcocks for advice on the proper cable for your particular bike. There may be less expensive options available online, but getting the right one for the job of decent quality would be far less certain.

I should also mention that such damage to the cable end may have been caused by a malfunctioning (stuck or sticky) speedometer drive or speedometer. Hence, a close examination of both to insure their free operation would be highly advisable. Those plastic-cased OEM speedometer drives are particularly prone to jamming up, but in view of their low cost should just be replaced if found faulty--perhaps with a more robust metal-encased one.

There are also universal speedo cable "core repair" kits available that one can trim down to suit, but again, in view of the low cost, a new cable with a fresh outer casing would be preferable.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 12:58:46 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Jokor

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: May 05, 2021, 12:56:00 pm
          If the end of the cable isn't square it can't work. It will just spin inside the square hole that it mates with.

That was also what I though.
It seems to me that it's worn out on the speedomter side but before ordering a new one I just wanted to verify it.

I never seen a new one so..

Jokor

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: June 17, 2021, 08:12:27 am
Hello everyone,

I replaced last weekend the old speedodrive for a new one and also replaced the speedometer cable for a new one.
Put everything back together and made a little test drive but the speedometer is still not working.. Thought it would be a easy job to switch the old one for the new one turned out something else. Have also to add that they replaced a couple of months ago the tyres at a garage, maybe somethings broken at that point, who knows..

When I tighten the speedodrive nut and front hub cover plate nut the spindle seems hard to turn by hand and in the manual they say the following about this:

If tightening the nuts makes the spindle hard to turn, the bearings are bottoming in the recesses in the hub barrel and the inner races are not resting on the shoulder of the spindle. In this case, the bearing should be removed and a thin packing shim should be fitted between the inner race and the
shoulder on the spindle.

Because English is not my mother language I don't know exactly what they mean with: "in the recesses in the hub barrel" and "the inner races"? Can anyone tell me in simplyfied English what they mean by this? Or point on the added picture the part they talk about?

Or is there anything else that can be the fault?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2021, 08:32:42 am by Jokor »

ddavidv

• Prefers "Your Majesty"
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: June 17, 2021, 12:41:18 pm
I'd wager the connection of the speedo drive at the wheel is the culprit.
I can't recall how these work on the Bullet, but it was VERY common on my old Kawasaki KLR for people to put them together wrong. On that one there were two tabs that stuck out of the drive which fit into slots in the wheel hub. They had to be lined up when putting them together or you could bend the tabs and nothing would work.
2023 Scram 411, 2007 five speed 'Deluxe', 1964 750 Interceptor

Jokor

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: June 17, 2021, 01:55:21 pm
On a Royal Enfield Bullet it’s the same thing (see attached photo). Maybe good to double check that indeed but that would be really messy from me.

Jokor

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: June 18, 2021, 11:00:13 am
I'd wager the connection of the speedo drive at the wheel is the culprit.
I can't recall how these work on the Bullet, but it was VERY common on my old Kawasaki KLR for people to put them together wrong. On that one there were two tabs that stuck out of the drive which fit into slots in the wheel hub. They had to be lined up when putting them together or you could bend the tabs and nothing would work.

I just re-checked if the two tabs where lined up with the two slots and this was correct. Put the wheel back in the fork and mounted everything just as the way it was. Checked again the speedometer but it still doesn't work.. 

Paul W

• Grand Gearhead
  • 350 Bullet Electra (Indian home market).
Reply #8 on: June 18, 2021, 01:20:59 pm
Remove the cable from the speedo. Spin the wheel and see if the cable rotates. If it does, the problem is either the speedo itself, or the cable isn't properly engaging into it.
Paul W.

Jokor

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: June 19, 2021, 09:27:17 am
Remove the cable from the speedo. Spin the wheel and see if the cable rotates. If it does, the problem is either the speedo itself, or the cable isn't properly engaging into it.

When I remove the cable from the speedo and rotate the wheel nothing happens. When I remove the cable from the wheel and put it back again in the speedometer take a screw machine and rotate the cable the speedometer works. So it’s still in the speedodrive. But what..

Paul W

• Grand Gearhead
  • 350 Bullet Electra (Indian home market).
Reply #10 on: June 19, 2021, 09:40:16 am
I’ve seen a situation where the inner cable was slightly too short. This meant that some juggling was needed to get both ends to engage. Maybe this is the case here, too.
Paul W.

Mr_84

• Grease Monkey
Reply #11 on: June 19, 2021, 12:12:20 pm
I'm guessing that the Speedo drive at the wheel has stripped the little worm gears in there , cheap enough to replace I believe you can also get a old style metal one from Hitchcocks too for a bit more $ .  plastic drive part number 144571, you can even get a repair kit for £6.50 and see the little worm gears in the picture part number 592630kit . Considering it was working then just stopped and everything else is looking ok I'm sure this is your problem
« Last Edit: June 19, 2021, 12:25:28 pm by Mr_84 »

hortoncode3

• Grease Monkey
Reply #12 on: June 26, 2021, 02:33:48 pm
I had a speedo failure on my '05 Bullet, odometer works, needle moves to the highest speed I'm driving and then gradually works it's way down as I bump down the road. Considering a Smiths replacement.

Jokor

• Scooter
Reply #13 on: June 28, 2021, 08:25:51 am
Well firstly I wanted a metal speedodrive (SM/52283/6) because it looked nice. Ordered one and tried to fit it between the front fork but it didn't really fit the two slots. After this I ordered the plastic one (144571) and this fit immediatly.

But at this point I don't think it is the speedodrive nor the speedometer or speedocable.

1. I tried the screw machine method to see if the speedometer / cable was working and it did.
2. Then I put the bike on central stand with the front wheel from the ground to see if I turned the wheel if the cable was turning but it didn't.

Maybe someone has some experience with other things that might be the problem?

Mr_84

• Grease Monkey
Reply #14 on: June 28, 2021, 10:21:41 am
With to the cable removed from the Speedo drive and spining the wheel can you look in and see the square drive for the cable turning?