Author Topic: Tubeless wheels for 2014 B5 Bullet 500  (Read 415 times)

JunkyardDog

• Neophyte
on: March 07, 2024, 05:04:15 am
Does anybody know if there are any tubeless wheels available for the 2014 B5 Bullet 500? Hitchcocks shows cast alloy wheels for it on their site, but it doesn't say if they are tubeless.

Monkee

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: March 07, 2024, 11:37:20 am
Does anybody know if there are any tubeless wheels available for the 2014 B5 Bullet 500? Hitchcocks shows cast alloy wheels for it on their site, but it doesn't say if they are tubeless.

If its alloy cast its probably tubeless but if you can find a picture of the bead that would be your best bet. I've heard some people converting their spoked rims to tubeless with some 3M marine sealant. Some people love it other hate it. Personally i just deal with the tubes i carry a little block of wood to prop up the rear on the center stand and some compact tire spoons, a patch kit, and a spare tube and pump.

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #2 on: March 07, 2024, 06:15:25 pm
Perhaps you could find wheels from an RE Thunderbird X?  This model seems to be reliably depicted with cast wheels.

But, I don't think the Thunderbird X came out until 2018, and was not exported to all markets.  Does your machine have a disc brake rear?

Silverback

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: March 07, 2024, 10:30:36 pm
Tons of alloy rims on ebay for tubless tires.   Alloy rims are almost always tubeless. You can email them as they answer quickly.

I plan on trying the inner tube liner conversion.  A member here treated it out an they performed well for thousands of kilometers.
2011 uce classic 500,  carb converted and trails bars.

JunkyardDog

• Neophyte
Reply #4 on: March 08, 2024, 03:21:43 am
The ones I found were on Hitchcocks website. The inside of the rim flange looks like it is tubeless. But there is a problem I didn't notice before. While it says these fit the B5 Bullet, the rear is an 18", like the Classic. My Bullet has a 19" rear wheel. Going from an 19" to an 18" rear tire is not really what I want to do, unless I could find an 18" tire that had the same outside diameter as the 19" that's currently on it. A smaller rear tire would lower the gearing, though I could probably fix that with a sprocket change. Not sure what it would look like, though cast wheels would kind of ruin the looks of the bike anyway. But I need it to be rideable. I'm not able to fix a flat tube type tire by myself out on the road. I recently had to pay over $300 to have the bike hauled home because of a flat tire.

Silverback

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: March 08, 2024, 04:32:57 am
I am sure if you contact hitchcocks they can steer you in right direction.   I have ridden home twice on a flat rear tire. Anywhere from 12 miles. I nursed it about 20 mph max.  Check out the inner tube tubeless conversion.

https://forum.classicmotorworks.com/index.php?topic=36494.15
« Last Edit: March 08, 2024, 04:38:50 am by Silverback »
2011 uce classic 500,  carb converted and trails bars.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #6 on: March 08, 2024, 11:18:01 am
The cast alloy Bullet wheels DO run tubeless with a suitable valve. I have a set on my Redditch Bullet, though I have to say the rear Avon AM26 I have fitted developed a mystery leak after a while, which the local bike shop couldn't track down, and it now tuns with a tube! The front is still OK tubeless.

Alloy RIMS on the other hand are usually laced onto wire wheels, mostly (but not all) for tubed tyre/tire use.

A.

Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Monkee

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: March 11, 2024, 02:59:51 pm
The ones I found were on Hitchcocks website. The inside of the rim flange looks like it is tubeless. But there is a problem I didn't notice before. While it says these fit the B5 Bullet, the rear is an 18", like the Classic. My Bullet has a 19" rear wheel. Going from an 19" to an 18" rear tire is not really what I want to do, unless I could find an 18" tire that had the same outside diameter as the 19" that's currently on it. A smaller rear tire would lower the gearing, though I could probably fix that with a sprocket change. Not sure what it would look like, though cast wheels would kind of ruin the looks of the bike anyway. But I need it to be rideable. I'm not able to fix a flat tube type tire by myself out on the road. I recently had to pay over $300 to have the bike hauled home because of a flat tire.

If i remember correctly you can run an 18in wheel but still have a 19 total diameter you just need the right aspect ratio there are taller narrow tires and wider flatter ones. but im fairly certain there would be a 19in cast wheel though i would go 18 since finding 19in tires are kind of a pain in the ass. at least where i am

Haggis

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: March 11, 2024, 05:11:40 pm
4.00x18 on the left and a 4.10x19 on the right.
The 18 is bigger than the 19.
Off route, recalculate?