Author Topic: Any news on when the Super Meteor 650 will be available in the US?  (Read 987 times)

AzKev

• Grease Monkey
  • Arizona, USA
Everything I've read online says Summer 2023. I talked to the dealer here about it when I bought my 350, and he said they still don't have any word on when they will be getting them. I was just curious if anyone else has any kind of insight, or "inside info" lol.
Keepin' the shiny side up - ride safe everyone 😊👍

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Nothing I've read suggests that RE corporate has even suggested the answer to "IF", let alone "when".  The indian moto press seems to always predict far too optimistically.

But, it is perhaps salient that a CUSTOM that allegedly started life as a Super Meteor, was shown at Sturgis a few weeks ago.   https://www.topspeed.com/royal-enfield-super-meteor-custom-roland-sands-design/

Still, it's hard to think that reactions to this very chopperish looking machine represent a very good measure of potential sales of Super Meteor 650s.

My take is that most of the competition for a small by US standards cruiser, was withdrawn from the market, years ago.  At one point we were being offered:
     Yamaha XVS650
     Suzuki S40 aka LS650
     Honda VT600C
     Kawasaki Vulcan VN750
     multiple models of Shadow 750, both chain and shaft drive.

Now, only the Kawasaki Vulcan S 650 and two Honda Shadow 750s remain from the big 4, although if one pushes the class limit up to 999cc, the Yamaha Bolt and Suzuki C50 fall into the category.   I could list lots of other, larger cruisers that have been discontinued.

My point would be, if the big 4 feel like cruiser days are over in the US, maybe RE doesn't think it's worth going through the NHTSA certification process.

HiddenMortimer

• Scooter
Axman, that’s a very good point and my feelings exactly when I first saw the news of the SM. A 650 cruiser will not do well in the US. I think they would be better off redesigning the int650 by getting rid of the upswept exhaust and making them flatter as well as a better seat and better foot peg placement. Maybe something along the lines of the BSA gold star but with dual exhaust and better color options.

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Axman, that’s a very good point and my feelings exactly when I first saw the news of the SM. A 650 cruiser will not do well in the US. I think they would be better off redesigning the int650 by getting rid of the upswept exhaust and making them flatter as well as a better seat and better foot peg placement. Maybe something along the lines of the BSA gold star but with dual exhaust and better color options.
There has been plenty of talk about a Classic 650, and now there's this as well:  https://www.bikewale.com/news/mysterious-royal-enfield-650cc-bike-spotted-testing/

I think 650 folks want access to the tubeless wheels of the Super Meteor as well, which this test mule doesn't have, nor should they be expected on a Bullet or Classic.  But, I've read press stories that suggest RE will be developing as many as SEVEN new models using the 650 twin engine.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #4 on: September 01, 2023, 07:27:40 pm
According to Badisoch it looks like the Sherpa & Super Meteor may be the same bike. Apparently the bar end mirrors and nacelle instrument treatment reduce brush strike intensity whilst off-roading. Mayhaps the smooth tyres allow the Sherpas svelte 540 pounds to get more bite on those fast clean hard clay Indian fire roads. It's looking like the exhaust tubing cleverly doubles as an engine crash guard, providing an automotive style "crumple zone" for below engine impacts. Or this could all be an example of "publish or perish"... :o ::)

https://badisoch.in/automobile-news/royal-enfield-sherpa-650-launch-date/
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.