Author Topic: new 450 himalayan  (Read 2856 times)

Keef Sparrow

• Grease Monkey
Reply #15 on: January 09, 2022, 11:18:44 pm
How does water-cooled make emissions reduction ?

I think I probably know but just want to understand.
thanks
Water cooling isn't really to help emissions - it's to keep noise levels down. A cylinder head and barrel is quieter if it's covered by a water jacket instead of a thinner barrel and cooling fins.
Past: CB125-T2, T500, GT500, Speed Triple, 955i Daytona. Now: Royal Enfield Bullet Trials 500

johnyelland1234

• Scooter
  • 2020 Himalayan
Reply #16 on: January 10, 2022, 12:38:43 pm
Would be good, but I really want to see what this new 650 is going to be about. If it's not much heavier, I might consider selling/part exing my Himmy and getting one. But that's apparently planned for 2023 or something.

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: January 10, 2022, 04:14:06 pm
Water cooling isn't really to help emissions - it's to keep noise levels down. A cylinder head and barrel is quieter if it's covered by a water jacket instead of a thinner barrel and cooling fins.

Having owned both liquid and air cooled EFI equipped bikes, I'd argue that water cooling helps control fuel management, and thereby emissions by allowing the ECU to see more consistent engine temperature reading via a coolant temperature sensor, which doesn't fluctuate nearly as much as an AIT sensor.

It also allows the coolant to be routed to known engine hot spots for instance the area between the exhaust valves, which enhances reliability. As an afterthought, liquid cooled engines also maintain a more consistent operating temperature, especially during very hot or very cold conditions.

Keef Sparrow

• Grease Monkey
Reply #18 on: January 10, 2022, 07:38:22 pm
Agreed - the more constant temperature of a water cooled engine can have benefits regarding emissions.
Past: CB125-T2, T500, GT500, Speed Triple, 955i Daytona. Now: Royal Enfield Bullet Trials 500

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: January 10, 2022, 10:49:12 pm
Agreed - the more constant temperature of a water cooled engine can have benefits regarding emissions.
:)

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: January 12, 2022, 10:37:26 pm

Liquid cooling effects performance. An air cooled engine goes through heat cycles with a big range. The liquid cooling starts from ambient temperature. But the peak and running temp stays under control of the thermostat. Also, it means the heat production of higher compression is gone. Higher compression doesn't have such a big downside.
ACE Motors - sales & administration