Author Topic: Newby needing some guidance.  (Read 4493 times)

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #60 on: October 23, 2023, 09:37:05 pm
Well, the shape hasn't been messed with but the paintwork certainly has!  ;D  You can see the bigger cut-out to suit the EFI gubbins, that's from the factory.
New ones are available, but more expensive.

Part Number 836120, £63.71 to you at the Chadwick End Toy Shop

A.

Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #61 on: October 24, 2023, 12:19:59 pm

The pilot air jet 18 is to atomise the fuel in the emulation tube (needle Jet) or you would just get neat fuel and probably too rich.

Part #18 in the exploded view of your carb isn't a pilot air jet OR a pilot jet.

Just my personal opinion, but I don't think the way you're going is going to ever get this carb right. I think you're changing too many things at once & you've never even once said you've even gotten the idle mixture to be correct using the Air/Fuel Mixture Screw so that you can figure out if the Pilot Jet (Part#21) is right.

If you get a carb in the mail that you immediately have to start drilling holes in the jets, something must be basically "not right" somewhere. And you've got to do one thing at a time, in the right order, testing each change, to ever get anywhere.

Just my opinion. Means nothing. Carry on & good luck  :) :)

85MPH? Wow! 
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Steelaway

• Scooter
  • How f**king much. -- The Yorkshire war cry
Reply #62 on: October 24, 2023, 06:35:11 pm
           Part #18 in the exploded view of your carb isn't a pilot air jet OR a pilot jet.

Just my personal opinion, but I don't think the way you're going is going to ever get this carb right. I think you're changing too many things at once & you've never even once said you've even gotten the idle mixture to be correct using the Air/Fuel Mixture Screw so that you can figure out if the Pilot Jet (Part#21) is right.

If you get a carb in the mail that you immediately have to start drilling holes in the jets, something must be basically "not right" somewhere. And you've got to do one thing at a time, in the right order, testing each change, to ever get anywhere.

85MPH? Wow!

Thanks for the input I do listen to other opinions honest!

Without any real guidance, I bought a cheap carb with a set of jets that I thought would be a good starting point.
Its far from perfect but I'm sure it will be a marked improvement over the standard CV carb ---eventually.
If only for the extra fuel its capable of pushing into the engine.
I was getting confused by the float height/ leaking problem. It was causing the mixture to be all the place at different times.
Once I had cleaned the float needle jet it started to settle down and respond properly.
I only focused on the air jet because there was an hole in the old carb jet and non in the new carb jet. The 1mm hole was good but the 2mm hole was definitely better.
Its running good beyond half throttle so I need to concentrate on the spitting and farting a low openings.
Because I have a choice of Mikuni slides that is next direction I think I should go just to see what difference they make.

I say 85mph, it was in that region but its not very easy to see speedo at those revs.
I do like the speedo - its at fifty in the middle. Forty and sixty on either side which are the nice cruising speeds.
Hundred mph is 'Off the clock' which has got to be the ultimate goal :D :) :)
At some stage, I'm going to have to buy some kind of rev counter just for information ---- This could be good enough for testing

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/335012532978

« Last Edit: October 24, 2023, 06:48:09 pm by Steelaway »

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #63 on: October 24, 2023, 10:05:57 pm

Thanks for the input I do listen to other opinions honest!

At some stage, I'm going to have to buy some kind of rev counter just for information ---- This could be good enough for testing

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/335012532978

I had one of those on the '08 for a while. OK for idle, but useless out on the road. Not incrementally accurate, too jumpy. It would be seconds late getting to the RPM that engine was at & then it would jump by hundreds of RPM up or down & would not stop jumping back & forth while I was cruising at a steady RPM. Drove me nuts. Something else useless (to me) that makes you look at it. Threw it out.

I did, however, have a Sigma electronic speedometer wired up on the '08 for a couple years. Loved it. Very accurate, very simple. Just one big black number whose increments were each ONE mile per hour unlike the tach that was as jumpy as a 200 RPM Calaveras County frog.

Good luck dialing-in  :) It's a tricky path full of IEDs & things that go bump in the night & wake you up.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Steelaway

• Scooter
Reply #64 on: October 25, 2023, 12:10:16 pm
     I had one of those on the '08 for a while. OK for idle, but useless out on the road. Not incrementally accurate, too jumpy. It would be seconds late getting to the RPM that engine was at & then it would jump by hundreds of RPM up or down & would not stop jumping back & forth while I was cruising at a steady RPM. Drove me nuts. Something else useless (to me) that makes you look at it. Threw it out.

I did, however, have a Sigma electronic speedometer wired up on the '08 for a couple years. Loved it. Very accurate, very simple. Just one big black number whose increments were each ONE mile per hour unlike the tach that was as jumpy as a 200 RPM Calaveras County frog.

Good luck dialing-in  :) It's a tricky path full of IEDs & things that go bump in the night & wake you up.

Thanks for that. It's saved me a whole lot of time and money.
This one?

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Steelaway

• Scooter
Reply #66 on: October 31, 2023, 06:10:09 pm

85MPH? Wow!
[/quote

I've started looking at this carb and can now see a problem.
Because non of the jets are marked up I'm having to depend on the spec given on eBay.
I now need to increase the internal pilot jet to at least a 35. One genuine Mikuni jet will cost me around £5.00. A selection of jets from China will cost me £6.85. They are all marked up but I'll only treat them as a gauge.
The 200 main jet seem OK for now but I also want to go back to a 1.5 pilot air jet. I still have the blank one so I can drill that one.

Onwards and upwards.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203265590520?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D1110018%26algo%3DHOMESPLICE.COMPLISTINGS%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D253998%26meid%3D8229ae8a3db34ed098c06a3c39a6d192%26pid%3D101196%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D305182800868%26itm%3D203265590520%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D4429486%26algv%3DCompVIDesktopATF2V3WithQueryItemRecallV3%26brand%3DUnbranded&_trksid=p4429486.c101196.m2219&amdata=cksum%3A2032655905208229ae8a3db34ed098c06a3c39a6d192%7Cenc%3AAQAIAAABELHyIAEaemKG0mx4REjf%252BHxECBsXtSkNHsCLmXz%252FJyCDeX%252FaDb78456J9CQJiWkf1pvKpbrXVz4CfVemAkYk52XzsebgwBa86EHZ0oNPSBOWt%252BXKcwjACm0q11677pkZAHsXXPOuIcv8PR2plb8tg2IbeAhAoBfnUUKYyTKimAWu3ZgIieQVGEOpepU3YVp7q2fI0lKACVSXNdfpF4Z7rBZcB2c%252F9LL2sA5hkIC1TnXsHwkv66yJPLaoE96sExV%252F0MyFEwC5CK7GBxXsmJkI94IiYGmNiGEQ3KLmrhsZkYv1i%252BXqS0LgykwmeZnbON522VA5eYIFr%252F8GdbCUmSel52sQu7uGksoTJf%252FanLtbCMsn%7Campid%3APL_CLK%7Cclp%3A4429486

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #67 on: October 31, 2023, 07:43:29 pm
When posting hyperlinks from eBay you don't need to post the whole URL.

Just this bit will do.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203265590520

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Steelaway

• Scooter
Reply #68 on: October 31, 2023, 08:17:31 pm
Brilliant ---Thanks :)