Author Topic: Exhaust mod  (Read 6207 times)

JettaKnight

• Fort Wayne, IN
  • Grease Monkey
  • USA 2020 650INT
Reply #15 on: July 09, 2020, 03:28:14 pm
What is this obsession in Australia and perhaps elsewhere in making the exhaust note louder on the Interceptor?
Mine sounds great. I have tried to fit some old Ducati silencers but only to reduce the weight  the sound with the standard silencers is great! Leave them alone!
Yeah, I've had that phase... past it. I'm happy to keep this bike mild and pretty.

Plus, I'm kind of sick of hear motorcycles that are a mile away from my suburban backyard. It's almost a constant thing in the Midwest.

Reminds me of the South Park episode "The F- word".

How did we get to headlights  :-.
On that subject though I do not use the yellow flash button here in the US as people think you are letting them go and will pull out in front of you.
Yup.

A flashing light, from low to high, isn't that noticeable on a bike. The same results could be from a bump in the road, etc.
And during the days, I often run with high beam, so that button is useless.

Better to use a toot on the horn if required.

oldphart

• Grease Monkey
Reply #16 on: July 09, 2020, 03:47:55 pm
Yeah, I've had that phase... past it. I'm happy to keep this bike mild and pretty.

Plus, I'm kind of sick of hear motorcycles that are a mile away from my suburban backyard. It's almost a constant thing in the Midwest.

Yup.

A flashing light, from low to high, isn't that noticeable on a bike. The same results could be from a bump in the road, etc.

I can't find a way of clicking 'agree', but I agree with everything you say.
Grandpa Slow

2021 Classic 500

Liberty Blacksmith

• Bulleteer
Reply #17 on: July 09, 2020, 04:19:09 pm
Bad idea, or...?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzKyBSUQfuw

The way to get max performance, instead of max noise, is to drill a series of small holes (1/4") in a circular pattern in the baffles.
The procedure I learnt years ago was to pull a hill in a higher gear at a specific speed while noting the RPM. Drill one or two holes in the baffle, repeat and note the RPM, keeping the same speed. If I remember correctly the RPM will increase, continue to drill holes until there is no increase in RPM; then you have max performance, not max noise.
However, this was for carbureted machines-not sure it would work with the Interceptor and not sure it is advisable.
Point being, don't just drill a whopping big hole in the baffles to start with.
I rode an Interceptor with the S & S mufflers, nice gurgle, not too loud. Other than weight reduction, most aftermarket pipes do not increase performance, they just look cool or make a bunch of noise.
My two cents worth.
Frank

JettaKnight

• Fort Wayne, IN
  • Grease Monkey
  • USA 2020 650INT
Reply #18 on: July 09, 2020, 07:37:01 pm
The procedure I learnt years ago was to pull a hill in a higher gear at a specific speed while noting the RPM. Drill one or two holes in the baffle, repeat and note the RPM, keeping the same speed. If I remember correctly the RPM will increase, continue to drill holes until there is no increase in RPM; then you have max performance, not max noise.
Wait, same speed, same gear, but the expectation is the engine will turn faster?
And if the engine is turning faster, that indicates better performance?
 ???

Mike R

• Scooter
  • USA 2019 INT650
Reply #19 on: July 09, 2020, 09:14:51 pm

The way to get max performance, instead of max noise, is to drill a series of small holes (1/4") in a circular pattern in the baffles.
However, this was for carbureted machines-not sure it would work with the Interceptor and not sure it is advisable.
Point being, don't just drill a whopping big hole in the baffles to start with.
I rode an Interceptor with the S & S mufflers, nice gurgle, not too loud. Other than weight reduction, most aftermarket pipes do not increase performance, they just look cool or make a bunch of noise.
My two cents worth.
Frank

Frank,

I just started dismantling the mufflers when my grandkids showed up and interrupted me. The inner voice told me to check the RE forum before I continue with the aforementioned modification, and then I saw your post. Thank you! I've reconsidered this mod thing and will keep it stock for now. As for the basso profundo effect, I might order aftermarket mufflers in the future. The OEM graphite gasket/exhaust ring suffered slight damage (few layers peeled off). I've solved the problem with a Permatex Muffler and Tailpipe Sealer.

Thanks again for the heads up!
Mike

jimku

• Grand Gearhead
  • Nampa, Idaho USA
Reply #20 on: July 09, 2020, 10:33:10 pm
What is this obsession in Australia and perhaps elsewhere in making the exhaust note louder on the Interceptor?
Mine sounds great. I have tried to fit some old Ducati silencers but only to reduce the weight  the sound with the standard silencers is great! Leave them alone!

Well, personally I don't think a sound like a duck farting into a pillow sounds great at all.
Here is what I have on my bike.
https://youtu.be/3dP1vMU0MuA
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 11:00:34 pm by jimku »
2019 Interceptor. 
I hope my tubeless wheels make you cringe. 8) https://www.dropbox.com/s/zobmpjq2gqtvypj/RE%20TIRE%20AND%20WHEEL.JPG?dl=0
Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.
https://youtu.be/GG5ghP8XLW8

aussie650

• Scooter
  • 2019 Interceptor..AUSTRALIA
Reply #21 on: July 10, 2020, 12:10:36 am
I too will have research this headlight off business, shouldn't be too hard

Its easy. 

1. Loosen top screw in headlight shell and take off the front part.
2.Unplug the H4 and parking light and put aside the front part safely.
3.The H4 plug has 3 circuits. The green / white circuit is what we want.This is the low beam circuit. Cut away the black tape about a inch or so behind the H4 plug.
4.Now you have 3 wires... cut the green/white back from the H4 plug about an inch.
5.You will need about two lengths of auto wire ...and a on/off switch with led light to mount on the handlebar (22mm)...available from ebay,large selection.
6.Either solder or use male/female crimp plugs...join the two auto wires to the two   cut wires .I soldered and used heat shrink to insulate.
7.Wrap the wires in black insulation tape ...then run the loom through the back off the headlight up to the handlebar to where the switch is to be mounted.
8.Connect the two auto wires to the new on/off switch.
9.Recheck all ok.

The high beam stays as normal...all you need to do now is use the new switch for on/off for low beam when required.

Aussie 650

Haggisman

• Grease Monkey
  • Adelaide, Australia.
Reply #22 on: July 10, 2020, 01:07:31 am
Its easy. 

1. Loosen top screw in headlight shell and take off the front part.
2.Unplug the H4 and parking light and put aside the front part safely.
3.The H4 plug has 3 circuits. The green / white circuit is what we want.This is the low beam circuit. Cut away the black tape about a inch or so behind the H4 plug.
4.Now you have 3 wires... cut the green/white back from the H4 plug about an inch.
5.You will need about two lengths of auto wire ...and a on/off switch with led light to mount on the handlebar (22mm)...available from ebay,large selection.
6.Either solder or use male/female crimp plugs...join the two auto wires to the two   cut wires .I soldered and used heat shrink to insulate.
7.Wrap the wires in black insulation tape ...then run the loom through the back off the headlight up to the handlebar to where the switch is to be mounted.
8.Connect the two auto wires to the new on/off switch.
9.Recheck all ok.

The high beam stays as normal...all you need to do now is use the new switch for on/off for low beam when required.

Aussie 650
The tail light will still be lit up with this mod won't it?
2019 Interceptor

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Adelaide, South Aust- Conti GT 650 2019
Reply #23 on: July 10, 2020, 01:26:15 am
What has headlights got to do with an exhaust mod??  ::)
If you had read all the posts you’d have seen it was in reference to part of a reply about reasons to make your bike louder.
I’d rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy...

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: July 10, 2020, 01:33:22 am

Yup.

Headlight flash has saved my arse any number of times. Hard to hear a toot from 40 metres with a blaring sound system.

oldphart

• Grease Monkey
Reply #25 on: July 10, 2020, 01:52:08 am
Headlight flash has saved my arse any number of times. Hard to hear a toot from 40 metres with a blaring sound system.
Just be warned that Plod may not approve and they're not known for being in tune with the finer points of motorcycle law. It'd be a bummer to be defected for not having a headlight on, if only because of the hassle of addressing it.
Grandpa Slow

2021 Classic 500

Haggisman

• Grease Monkey
  • Adelaide, Australia.
Reply #26 on: July 10, 2020, 02:06:40 am
Don't want my bike too loud, have little children living next door and I  am a nice neighbor. I don't want to have to push my bike down the street before I start it! Used to have a XS2 Yamaha 650 that rattled the windows in the block of flats I lived in, I am much more considerate these days
2019 Interceptor

oldphart

• Grease Monkey
Reply #27 on: July 10, 2020, 02:09:48 am
Don't want my bike too loud, have little children living next door and I  am a nice neighbor. I don't want to have to push my bike down the street before I start it! Used to have a XS2 Yamaha 650 that rattled the windows in the block of flats I lived in, I am much more considerate these days
Yeah. I have to warm my bike up underneath the bedroom window of a neighbour. The stock thump will have to do for me (no complaints so far, I'd like to keep it that way)
Grandpa Slow

2021 Classic 500

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: July 10, 2020, 03:29:18 am
I reckon you’d be hard pressed to sound more offensive than those poxy hot 4 cylinder cars with those huge exhaust cans that are so ubiquitous nowadays!🤪

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #29 on: July 10, 2020, 04:08:58 am
Bad idea, or...?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzKyBSUQfuw

It's a bad idea because it doesn't work. It does absolutely nothing. Yes, I saw this video and gave it a try. Any change is purely imaginary. I'd be happy to sell you a set of pre-drilled placebos if you want.