Author Topic: Fork preload adjusters  (Read 27778 times)

Breezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2019 Interceptor, 2021 R NineT
on: July 01, 2020, 03:46:43 pm
While I appreciate why others are happy to go down the Ohlins, YSS etc. route, spending that kind of moolah on an RE isn't my cup of tea. But, on the basis of previous discussions here, I have been looking at fitting fork preload adjusters. I do think the front can get a bit queasy at higher speeds, so it would be worth the time and money looking at a simple fix. I might follow up later with changing springs, but this I think may be a quick and easy solution that goes far enough for my purposes.

(The fact that I don't have a workshop or garage is a factor here, and is one of the reasons I bought a new bike with a warranty rather than an older Japanese or even BMW.)

Anyhow, I think it was Roshiba who said that a 41mm adjuster for a Yamaha would fit the Interceptor (so probably also the Continental). I've been looking around, and I found options that basically boil down to Hitchcock's, TEC, and China. In the light of the discussion recently as to whether TEC made their own parts, I thought it would be good to look at them here. I haven't been able to resize images -- sorry.

So, 1) are they any different? and, 2) if they are a similar as they look, will they actually fit the Interceptor without risers?

Hitchcock's - https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/40326
£47.50. No special notes about fitting.

TEC - https://www.tecbikeparts.com/product/tec-fork-top-pre-load-adjusters-for-royal-enfield-41mm-forks/ £49.99.
Note that TEC say they have made these themselves. They also say that they won't fit an Interceptor without bar risers.

Ali Express, Wish, Ebay etc: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32879103123.html I've ordered these for €14. I may get them this year...

Breaker Express

• Grease Monkey
  • Ocoee, FL USA
Reply #1 on: July 01, 2020, 04:57:42 pm
I believe the reason you need the risers for the TEC adjusters is because the adjusters stick up so high they will not go under the handlebars.
I am going to re read the owner’s manual again to make sure I read it right the first time but I thought it said they use 2 weight oil in the forks. To me this seems like it would be very thin and perhaps a change of oil to a heavier weight would help without having to shell out a bunch of money.
I saw a YouTube video from some guy in the uk that made a set preload unit. I will try to find it and post it.
2020 Baker Express

Roshiba777

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: July 01, 2020, 06:11:16 pm
The ones from aloe press are the same ones that my one mate is using on his interceptor and it works and fits fine
Royal Enfield CI 500 (2000)
Royal Enfield STD UCE 500 (2010)
Royal Enfield Classic 500 (2011)
Royal Enfield Classic Chrome 500 (2011)
Yamaha RD350 (1988)
Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 (2019)

Breaker Express

• Grease Monkey
  • Ocoee, FL USA
Reply #3 on: July 01, 2020, 06:32:55 pm
I don’t know how to add a YouTube link on my phone, however, if you search
Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 - custom fork preload modification it should come up and it is Dorman Diaries.
2020 Baker Express

Breezin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: July 01, 2020, 06:39:28 pm
I don’t know how to add a YouTube link on my phone, however, if you search
Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 - custom fork preload modification it should come up and it is Dorman Diaries.

Thanks. I saw that, but it was a fixed adjustment unit. I think also it was a prototype, and not yet generally available. It might be an option if the variable adjustment units aren't viable.

Breezin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: July 01, 2020, 06:40:40 pm
The ones from aloe press are the same ones that my one mate is using on his interceptor and it works and fits fine

I thought they might, since they look much the same as the others. Just a matter of waiting for them to arrive. By that time, I'll probably have changed the fork oil, as suggested.

PS: Did your mate get them on without bar risers?

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: July 01, 2020, 09:47:51 pm
I think the recommended oil for forks is "2 W 25"....

Not just "2"

cookie

I believe the reason you need the risers for the TEC adjusters is because the adjusters stick up so high they will not go under the handlebars.
I am going to re read the owner’s manual again to make sure I read it right the first time but I thought it said they use 2 weight oil in the forks. To me this seems like it would be very thin and perhaps a change of oil to a heavier weight would help without having to shell out a bunch of money.
I saw a YouTube video from some guy in the uk that made a set preload unit. I will try to find it and post it.

Breaker Express

• Grease Monkey
  • Ocoee, FL USA
Reply #7 on: July 01, 2020, 10:56:27 pm
I just got to read the owners manual and service manual again and it is 2w25 as you say. I tried to google it and I cannot find anything with that number, but what the hell I am an old fart and can barely figure out how to turn on the computer ;D
2020 Baker Express

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: July 02, 2020, 12:51:49 am

Right   the spec is 2w25  but "nobody" has heard of such a thing!!!

My guess it is some attempt at a multi-viscosity fork oil.  I'm sure a straight viscosity would work just fine.

It is my understanding that the viscosity rating is not really a standard, and will vary from manufacturer to another, even if the same number...so  it probably makes sense to stay with your favorite manufacturer, and experiment with viscosity within their range..

Cookie

I just got to read the owners manual and service manual again and it is 2w25 as you say. I tried to google it and I cannot find anything with that number, but what the hell I am an old fart and can barely figure out how to turn on the computer ;D

Breaker Express

• Grease Monkey
  • Ocoee, FL USA
Reply #9 on: July 02, 2020, 02:09:56 am
I did some research and found that Silkolene RSF2.5 is equivalent to a 10w oil give or take since as you say there is no real standard.
It does appear that Silkolene is used by race teams because of the consistency and they know what they are getting.
Now the rub, you can purchase it in the US from Moto Liberty in TX but they are a seller and it is out of stock right now. There is no distributor in the US at this time so it seems they are about the only option.
Having said that if you use another brand both forks will have the same weight oil and it is not like you have to top it off regularly so it should not matter.
I plan taking the forks off and draining the oil then replacing with a 10w or 15w and see how that works then if needed some preload adjusters before throwing a bunch of money at an upgrade kit.
2020 Baker Express

Roshiba777

• Grease Monkey
Reply #10 on: July 02, 2020, 02:22:48 am
I thought they might, since they look much the same as the others. Just a matter of waiting for them to arrive. By that time, I'll probably have changed the fork oil, as suggested.

He is using it with raisers but I think there is enough space to use these without any raisers in place
Royal Enfield CI 500 (2000)
Royal Enfield STD UCE 500 (2010)
Royal Enfield Classic 500 (2011)
Royal Enfield Classic Chrome 500 (2011)
Yamaha RD350 (1988)
Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 (2019)

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #11 on: July 02, 2020, 03:53:33 am
He is using it with raisers but I think there is enough space to use these without any raisers in place

I have similar adjustable caps that came with my Andreani forks. No risers - no problem. Not even close to being a problem.
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

Breezin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: July 02, 2020, 08:11:34 am
So it looks like they're a goer! I'll wait a while and see if my Chinese bargains arrive. If not I'll probably go with Hitchcock's.

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: July 02, 2020, 09:57:12 am
Sounds like a very reasonable plan to me!

Cookie

I did some research and found that Silkolene RSF2.5 is equivalent to a 10w oil give or take since as you say there is no real standard.
It does appear that Silkolene is used by race teams because of the consistency and they know what they are getting.
Now the rub, you can purchase it in the US from Moto Liberty in TX but they are a seller and it is out of stock right now. There is no distributor in the US at this time so it seems they are about the only option.
Having said that if you use another brand both forks will have the same weight oil and it is not like you have to top it off regularly so it should not matter.
I plan taking the forks off and draining the oil then replacing with a 10w or 15w and see how that works then if needed some preload adjusters before throwing a bunch of money at an upgrade kit.

Mav

• Bulleteer
  • Nottingham UK
Reply #14 on: July 02, 2020, 10:06:44 am
I have the Hitchocks, they fit without bar risers, and are very well made, excellent qulity. And look good on the bike.
2023 Triumph Tiger 900 GT Pro
2019 Royal Enfield Interceptor

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Adelaide, South Aust- Conti GT 650 2019
Reply #15 on: July 02, 2020, 10:55:30 am
I just ordered some Chinese ones 5 minutes ago on the advice from a post on this forum that R3 41 mm Yam ones fit. They were only $25 AU so no biggie if they’re crap. I might put 10-15 ml more oil in just to experiment as well. My dealer is really good and he also has raced a lot so I’ll ask his advice about oil type. I wish these forks had a bottom drain plug like my old SR 500 cafe did to make experiments a lot easier. Taking the legs off to drain sounds like a total pain in the posterior. I wonder if it’d be practical to retrofit some drain ports?
I’d rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy...

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #16 on: July 02, 2020, 11:46:12 am
I wish these forks had a bottom drain plug like my old SR 500 cafe did to make experiments a lot easier. Taking the legs off to drain sounds like a total pain in the posterior. I wonder if it’d be practical to retrofit some drain ports?

If you are - or have access to - a competent machinist who understands the mission ... I don't see any mechanical reason to stop you. But you asked if it is practical.  I guess that depends on how long you intend to keep the bike and your fondness of it's next owner.

If you go for it, you might consider using a hydraulic brake bleeder nipple.  :)
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: July 02, 2020, 12:34:37 pm
1- I am in love with this bike and plan on keeping it for as long as I can.
2- I don’t see any complicated machining involved. I would think drill a hole in the right spot, tap a thread, screw in a stopper with copper/ rubber gaskets. But is it practical?
It would certainly make tuning the front end with the fitment of Emulators a whole lot simpler. Drain the forks, adjust the emulator, change the oil weight/ volume, change again with different weight/ settings etc . Much more encouraging than pulling the bloody forks off time after time. Not to mention the periodic servicing of the forks. Why the hell its not already there is baffling.

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #18 on: July 02, 2020, 01:36:52 pm
1- I am in love with this bike and plan on keeping it for as long as I can.
2- I don’t see any complicated machining involved. I would think drill a hole in the right spot, tap a thread, screw in a stopper with copper/ rubber gaskets. But is it practical?
It would certainly make tuning the front end with the fitment of Emulators a whole lot simpler. Drain the forks, adjust the emulator, change the oil weight/ volume, change again with different weight/ settings etc . Much more encouraging than pulling the bloody forks off time after time. Not to mention the periodic servicing of the forks. Why the hell its not already there is baffling.

Ha _ Glad to see your response. That tells me you are up to it on both fronts.
As two counties separated by a common language .... ;), I don't use the word "competent" as a really high standard and you are correct it isn't complicated.
Still, when you look at fork bottoms with a drain plug, they typically have a small bung on the outside to give the bolt head a flat surface to land against. There is some pressure in there. It will try to leak. But the good news is that you only have to exceed the pressure resistance of the fork seal. You could get lucky and find a brass collar with one flat side and the other the same radius as the outside of the fork bottom. Alternatively, maybe a stack of thin copper washers (shim stock) topped with a steel washer ... you get the picture.
Another alternative is to "machine" a flat spot on the outside of the fork bottom where you intend to drill the hole. I don't know how thick the material is. Use the finest thread pitch available to you.
GO FOR IT! (looking forward for a tutorial, please)

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: July 02, 2020, 02:03:12 pm
Nice to hear from a like- minded person! Why the hell they departed from that design is mystifying to me.

Breezin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: July 02, 2020, 08:42:36 pm
I have the Hitchocks, they fit without bar risers, and are very well made, excellent qulity. And look good on the bike.

Brilliant.  Thanks for the info!

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #21 on: July 03, 2020, 01:07:53 am

It would certainly make tuning the front end with the fitment of Emulators a whole lot simpler.

I'm loving that idea. The old paiolis and I guess your marzocchis had the drain plug. They probably skimped on the Enfield to save a few cents per fork. If someone had a milling machine, it'd be a doddle to fit drains, you'd think (I'm not a machinist though...) the brake bleed nipple sounds like a good idea too, if there's enough wall thickness to work with.

simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

sceptr

• Scooter
Reply #22 on: July 04, 2020, 07:11:35 am
I just ordered some Chinese ones 5 minutes ago on the advice from a post on this forum that R3 41 mm Yam ones fit. They were only $25 AU so no biggie if they’re crap. I

Got a link? I might try these as well.

Haggisman

• Grease Monkey
  • Adelaide, Australia.
Reply #23 on: July 04, 2020, 07:16:15 am
Drain holes on forks are very rare on any brand of bike these days
2019 Interceptor

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: July 04, 2020, 10:59:19 am
I just found out that their ARE drain holes in the forks! You take off the wheel and there’s a drain screw in the bottom of em 👍

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #25 on: July 04, 2020, 11:14:09 am
Well. Who knew? I better have a look at my own ones.

Are they drain screws or the damper rod bolt?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 11:29:42 am by gizzo »
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: July 04, 2020, 11:42:14 am
Just a "dumb question" to you guys who want to change your fork preload...well three dumb questions...

Why do you feel the need to change the preload?

How many mm of "sag" do you get now, with your body weight?
What is the target you are going for, regarding sag...how many mm?
Does your fork now "bottom out"?

Ok that's 4 questions!!!

Cookie

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: July 04, 2020, 11:46:54 am
I think they’re just drain screws.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #28 on: July 04, 2020, 11:50:58 am
Part 23? I think they're the damper rod bolts. Suppose there's no reason you couldnt drain the oil through them, though. I'd never though of doing that. You'd just need the tool to hold the rod from the top (sharpened broom stick works for me...)
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: July 04, 2020, 11:52:27 am
I’d say wait til I get mine . No use buying crap .
I’ll post what I think when I get them. Be 3 weeks or so tho

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #30 on: July 04, 2020, 01:36:09 pm
Part 23? I think they're the damper rod bolts. Suppose there's no reason you couldnt drain the oil through them, though. I'd never though of doing that. You'd just need the tool to hold the rod from the top (sharpened broom stick works for me...)
Dion from Yam Retro printed that off for me and implied that it was merely removing the bolt . I hope he’s right cos I’m lazy👌

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #31 on: July 04, 2020, 01:41:59 pm
I'm lazy too  ;)
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #32 on: July 04, 2020, 10:48:08 pm
Dion from Yam Retro printed that off for me and implied that it was merely removing the bolt . I hope he’s right cos I’m lazy👌

That't the bolt that holds your fork's damper rod in place!!! Seriously, I just installed a set of cartridges in mine. One of these bolts came right out with an Allen wrench. The other one required an impact wrench and jamming the tube inside the slider with a really long screwdriver. Otherwise it would simply spin. There's locktite on it from the factory.

You don't want to take that out unless you are dismantling the forks.

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #33 on: July 04, 2020, 11:39:37 pm
I just found out that their ARE drain holes in the forks! You take off the wheel and there’s a drain screw in the bottom of em 👍
WARNING:::
Those ARE the dampening cone bolts.
You might have a problem getting them re-tightened to spec without the cone just turning away inside.
It can be a real hassle.

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #34 on: July 05, 2020, 09:25:55 am
Buggerit! Another dream shattered!

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: July 10, 2020, 10:39:59 am
Thanks everybody for your(scary) feedback!! I guess that drain option has flitted out the window😬

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #36 on: July 10, 2020, 12:32:01 pm
Thanks everybody for your(scary) feedback!! I guess that drain option has flitted out the window😬
I have never tried it... but ... you could could consider a metal "straw" and a pump.

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: July 11, 2020, 08:47:10 am
Sorry I tried to work out how to send that link but it’s beyond me!😳

Breezin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #38 on: July 11, 2020, 10:29:28 am
Re sag, bounce, weave etc... interesting take on data vs. feel   https://advrider.com/dont-be-a-spreadsheet-warrior/

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #39 on: July 11, 2020, 12:17:36 pm
Re sag, bounce, weave etc... interesting take on data vs. feel   https://advrider.com/dont-be-a-spreadsheet-warrior/
Nice article and quite apropos

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #40 on: July 11, 2020, 03:21:14 pm
Just worked out how to do it- sorry I took so long
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/322486741850

SandSquid

• Seattle, Washington
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2020 INT650 "Orange Crush"
Reply #41 on: July 11, 2020, 04:56:11 pm
Nice article and quite apropos

That article is me to a T. I've only had my bike a full week and I've read so many things that "should be changed" that I've started doubting my own opinion that I love how the bike feels with just a simple rear shock adjustment. I'm my own worst enemy that way.... Okay, I'm going for a ride, I really do love how she is right now!
“It follows then as certain as that night succeeds the day, that without a decisive naval force we can do nothing definitive, and with it, everything honorable and glorious.”

- President George Washington

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #42 on: July 12, 2020, 08:36:08 am
That article is me to a T. I've only had my bike a full week and I've read so many things that "should be changed" that I've starte
d doubting my own opinion that I love how the bike feels with just a simple rear shock adjustment. I'm my own worst enemy that way.... Okay, I'm going for a ride, I really do love how she is right now!
It’s true, isn’t it? I know that I’m banging on all over this forum about mods, but it’s not because she needs em. It’s just in my nature. I’m doing nothing that isn’t reversible if it’s no good.
I love her how she is, just want to tart her up so my mates lust after her!!😂

Bumbo

• Scooter
  • Interceptor 650 Twin owner
Reply #43 on: July 17, 2020, 06:54:55 am

Did the yamaha pre-loaded adjusters work

beagle

• Grease Monkey
  • Australia
Reply #44 on: July 17, 2020, 08:57:08 am
Did the yamaha pre-loaded adjusters work

Ive ordered the same back in early June. Paid the bit extra for tracking and I've tracked them from the seller to the airport to .....return...reason...security check....That was nearly a month ago....simply disappeared....I'll wait another couple of weeks and start chasing them up.  Going to stop getting stuff outta china....service is turning to crap.
Drink now....avoid the Xmas rush.
greetings from Brisbane, Australia

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #45 on: July 17, 2020, 09:08:30 am
Ive ordered the same back in early June. Paid the bit extra for tracking and I've tracked them from the seller to the airport to .....return...reason...security check....That was nearly a month ago....simply disappeared....I'll wait another couple of weeks and start chasing them up.  Going to stop getting stuff outta china....service is turning to crap.
I think we all collectively should stop buying stuff from China. I for one would happily pay extra for local product

Breezin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #46 on: July 17, 2020, 09:37:45 am

Exactly the same here! Expected delivery pushed back by Wish to October.  :(

I might get the ones that featured on Dorman Diaries instead.

OTOH, I just took delivery the Gidibi oiler from Ali Express after it was stuck in Customs.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 09:48:50 am by Breezin »

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #47 on: July 17, 2020, 09:45:36 am
Exactly the same here! Expected delivery pushed back by Wish to October.  :(

I might get the ones that featured on Dorman Diaries instead.

OTOH, I just took delivery the Gidibi oiler from Wish after it was stuck in Customs.
I’ve ordered stuff from Wish before and it takes 3 months to get to Australia!

Breezin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #48 on: July 17, 2020, 09:50:19 am
Fixed my post - the oiler came from Ali Express, not Wish.

beagle

• Grease Monkey
  • Australia
Reply #49 on: July 18, 2020, 12:55:05 am
The oil feeders seem to work well by the spray flecks over the rear rim...lol..I'm waiting for a 41mm HD front indicator clamp to mount on the fork near the headlight to hold it. looks a bit out of place on the bars. For the money they are good value, except I mostly still forget to use it.  Too many years on belt drives I think...

Breezin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #50 on: July 18, 2020, 09:30:57 am
The oil feeders seem to work well by the spray flecks over the rear rim...lol..I'm waiting for a 41mm HD front indicator clamp to mount on the fork near the headlight to hold it. looks a bit out of place on the bars. For the money they are good value, except I mostly still forget to use it.  Too many years on belt drives I think...
I don't like the handlebar mounting either. Gonna try to find somewhere back on the frame.
As for forgetting.... unlikely.  My last bike, a Bullet, gave me a land when it deposited its chain on the ground.  Revenge for shameful neglect. My previous mount was a shaftie and I had yet to readjust.

goody59

• Scooter
Reply #51 on: July 22, 2020, 02:57:30 am
Just a "dumb question" to you guys who want to change your fork preload...well three dumb questions...

Why do you feel the need to change the preload?

How many mm of "sag" do you get now, with your body weight?
What is the target you are going for, regarding sag...how many mm?
Does your fork now "bottom out"?

Ok that's 4 questions!!!

Cookie

I have been looking at this suspension. From the research I have found an Expert. Dave Moss Tuning. For street front and rear rider sag aim is to be between 30 to 35mm. Rider suited up with gear onboard. Front and rear llevel with same rider sag. In my case with my weight in gear about 110kg. Front sag 35mm. To get rear sag at 35mm I have rear preload on third notch up from lowest. Bike has less than 5,000 k up on her. I have also ordered the Chinese $25 preload adjusters to be able to add preload as springs in forks get weaker. Rear has further preload I can adjust. Might look at going 10 weight fork oil.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 03:50:24 am by goody59 »
Steve from Victoria, Australia. MY22 Interceptor.

beagle

• Grease Monkey
  • Australia
Reply #52 on: August 17, 2020, 08:50:28 am
My Chinese fork adjusters turned up...look very good. Had some spare cash, so put it in for a racetek kit of custom springs, emulators, oil etc.. The adjuster caps screwed straight on and will only be used for mountain scratching then turned back to urban.  The front end specialist was impressed with the caps for the money.  Had to stiffen the rear one notch to match the front.

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #53 on: August 17, 2020, 08:57:57 am
Preload spacers- Dorman Diaries
https://youtu.be/FBaGwNB9KNs

jimku

• Grand Gearhead
  • Nampa, Idaho USA
Reply #54 on: August 17, 2020, 09:41:56 am
Preload spacers- Dorman Diaries
I sent him a PM on his Facebook place with my email address telling him I want to order a pair of his spacers.  I hope he responds and that we can get it done.
2019 Interceptor. 
I hope my tubeless wheels make you cringe. 8) https://www.dropbox.com/s/zobmpjq2gqtvypj/RE%20TIRE%20AND%20WHEEL.JPG?dl=0
Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.
https://youtu.be/GG5ghP8XLW8

Breezin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #55 on: August 17, 2020, 09:42:21 am
My Chinese fork adjusters turned up...look very good. Had some spare cash, so put it in for a racetek kit of custom springs, emulators, oil etc.. The adjuster caps screwed straight on and will only be used for mountain scratching then turned back to urban.  The front end specialist was impressed with the caps for the money.  Had to stiffen the rear one notch to match the front.
Good to hear. Maybe that's a sign I won't have to wait too much longer.

Ozbobb

• Scooter
  • Vic, Aust. 2020 Interceptor
Reply #56 on: August 17, 2020, 10:37:56 am
I sent him a PM on his Facebook place with my email address telling him I want to order a pair of his spacers.  I hope he responds and that we can get it done.
Graham is really good(RE BRASS BLING) I’ve got my spacers sitting at home waiting for me to fit.
2020, 865 Baker Express, Victoria Australia.

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #57 on: August 17, 2020, 10:43:10 am
Graham is really good(RE BRASS BLING) I’ve got my spacers sitting at home waiting for me to fit.
Yeah his stuff looks good- how long did it take to get to Victoria? And how much were the various bits worth?
Steve

Ozbobb

• Scooter
Reply #58 on: August 17, 2020, 11:01:16 am
Yeah his stuff looks good- how long did it take to get to Victoria? And how much were the various bits worth?
Steve

The preload spacers were £25 GBP plus postage. I also got a brass oil filler plug which was about £36 GBP. I’ve been away for work for over a month now so unfortunately I cant tell you how long it took for them to ship. Graham is a really nice fellow and takes a lot of pride in his work.

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #59 on: August 17, 2020, 11:04:19 am
The preload spacers were £25 GBP plus postage. I also got a brass oil filler plug which was about £36 GBP. I’ve been away for work for over a month now so unfortunately I cant tell you how long it took for them to ship. Graham is a really nice fellow and takes a lot of pride in his work.

That crank bolt cover(?) looks pretty sexy too

Ozbobb

• Scooter
Reply #60 on: August 17, 2020, 11:10:42 am

That crank bolt cover(?) looks pretty sexy too

No, the oil filler plug on top. The crank one will be later😉

jimku

• Grand Gearhead
  • Nampa, Idaho USA
Reply #61 on: August 17, 2020, 05:27:14 pm
Do you have his email address?  I haven't heard back from him since leaving him a Facebook message, and i don't have much faith in Facebook as a means of communication.
2019 Interceptor. 
I hope my tubeless wheels make you cringe. 8) https://www.dropbox.com/s/zobmpjq2gqtvypj/RE%20TIRE%20AND%20WHEEL.JPG?dl=0

Ozbobb

• Scooter
Reply #62 on: August 17, 2020, 05:34:44 pm
Do you have his email address?  I haven't heard back from him since leaving him a Facebook message, and i don't have much faith in Facebook as a means of communication.

Pm sent👍🏼

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #63 on: August 17, 2020, 10:21:02 pm
No, the oil filler plug on top. The crank one will be later😉
I saw the crank cover bolt on the clip 👍

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #64 on: August 18, 2020, 07:40:40 am
I saw the crank cover bolt on the clip 👍
Make that crank bolt cover!

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #65 on: August 18, 2020, 07:43:32 am
I was thinking of dropping in some kind of washers as well as the fork preload caps so I don’t have to max out the cap adjustment. Any tips on diameter to go for?

Jako

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #66 on: August 18, 2020, 12:20:13 pm
Got these eBay Yamaha R3 Chinese caps  in about 1 week , when fully retracted there about 17mm longer then the original caps so the original spacers will require shortening. Also the  bars will require rising , how much will depend how much of the available adjustment you wish to have available. I decided not to use them, I prefer solid spacers.
2020 Rav Red Interceptor (wife's bike) ,Interceptor 2019 bakers express ,  2021 Honda cb500X, 2021  euro4 Himalayan (wife's)

goody59

• Scooter
Reply #67 on: August 18, 2020, 02:42:43 pm

Wonderful. Hope mine are not too far away. Will change out fork oil at same time to fully synthetic 10W. 140mm air gap with spring out and leg fully compressed.

patricio

• Scooter
Reply #68 on: August 18, 2020, 03:00:04 pm
I was thinking of dropping in some kind of washers as well as the fork preload caps so I don’t have to max out the cap adjustment. Any tips on diameter to go for?

Standard M20 washers will do the trick, I preloaded my fork that way, works like a charm btw, Im planning on getting adjustable preload caps later when shipping is normalized again.

jimku

• Grand Gearhead
  • Nampa, Idaho USA
Reply #69 on: August 18, 2020, 11:21:36 pm
Graham gave me his email address on Facebook as well as great instructions on how to make payment via Paypal.  MY SPACERS ARE ON THE WAY!
2019 Interceptor. 

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #70 on: August 19, 2020, 02:46:38 am
Got these eBay Yamaha R3 Chinese caps  in about 1 week , when fully retracted there about 17mm longer then the original caps so the original spacers will require shortening. Also the  bars will require rising , how much will depend how much of the available adjustment you wish to have available. I decided not to use them, I prefer solid spacers.
Well that’s annoying! They look very much like the ones I’m waiting for 😩
Steve

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #71 on: August 19, 2020, 03:06:45 am
It seemed to take forever to get here but that may be just the shut in time stretch. Now I need the oil cap.

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #72 on: August 19, 2020, 08:43:48 am
It seemed to take forever to get here but that may be just the shut in time stretch. Now I need the oil cap.
Looks great. So Un-jap.

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #73 on: August 19, 2020, 11:37:54 pm
They look to be about the same length as those touted by Hitchcock’s.

Breezin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #74 on: August 20, 2020, 09:36:46 am
They look to be about the same length as those touted by Hitchcock’s.
Which brings gs us back to the first post.  ;D

Still waiting for my Ali Express delivery!

goody59

• Scooter
Reply #75 on: August 25, 2020, 08:01:25 am
my $25AU Chinese preload adjustable caps turned up yesterday and put in this morning.  There is 8.5mm of extra preload versus oem caps with preload adjuster set on zero. There is 16.6mm of adjusted increased preload available from zero. I wanted to start with 5mm of preload extra than available from the oem caps. I have 8.5mm extra with these new caps unless I wanted to shorten the spacer. I will try it out without shortening spacer to begin with. it should reduce rider sag up front to about 26.5mm.  I have cranked up rear preload to one notch below highest. I will need to get a handle on my now rider sag figures.  My aim is to end up about at 30mm of rider sag both front and rear.
   To add the adjustable preload caps I has to raise handlebars up with 4 stainless steel washers under the handlebar risers. That was enough to clear the bars now from the top of the preload adjusters.

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #76 on: August 25, 2020, 09:28:18 am
my $25AU Chinese preload adjustable caps turned up yesterday and put in this morning.  There is 8.5mm of extra preload versus oem caps with preload adjuster set on zero. There is 16.6mm of adjusted increased preload available from zero. I wanted to start with 5mm of preload extra than available from the oem caps. I have 8.5mm extra with these new caps unless I wanted to shorten the spacer. I will try it out without shortening spacer to begin with. it should reduce rider sag up front to about 26.5mm.  I have cranked up rear preload to one notch below highest. I will need to get a handle on my now rider sag figures.  My aim is to end up about at 30mm of rider sag both front and rear.
   To add the adjustable preload caps I has to raise handlebars up with 4 stainless steel washers under the handlebar risers. That was enough to clear the bars now from the top of the preload adjusters.
Brilliant info. I’m waiting for mine still and I love someone else doing the work for me. Especially someone who seems to know what he’s doing. Thank you.
Steve

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #77 on: August 26, 2020, 03:12:45 am
Usually you want more sag in the front, less in the rear...

Cookie

goody59

• Scooter
Reply #78 on: August 26, 2020, 09:17:34 am
Usually you want more sag in the front, less in the rear...

Cookie

Ok, thanks Cookie. Might have to trim a little off the front fork spacers.

Husqy

• Scooter
Reply #79 on: August 26, 2020, 11:01:45 am
Think i'll order some from Hitchcocks tomorrow   :)

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #80 on: August 27, 2020, 08:15:19 am
Got mine today. Did yours have Allen head bolts in the bottom holding it all together? Mine were loose.
These look better made than most Chinese ones I’ve seen. I’ll fit them tomorrow at zero preload as they’re already long, as has been stated previously.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 08:52:11 am by Starpeve »

Jako

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #81 on: August 27, 2020, 01:38:28 pm
Starpeve.
If those caps are the same as mine which they appear to be, the end plates have been installed backwards,  they will pop off the bearings as soon as spring pressure is applied, turn them over and you will see the retaining lip
Also they will give about 16 or 17mm  of extra preload at the minimum setting which will be too much, you need to shorten the spacer tubes.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 01:45:45 pm by Jako »
2020 Rav Red Interceptor (wife's bike) ,Interceptor 2019 bakers express ,  2021 Honda cb500X, 2021  euro4 Himalayan (wife's)

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #82 on: August 27, 2020, 07:30:26 pm
Starpeve.
If those caps are the same as mine which they appear to be, the end plates have been installed backwards,  they will pop off the bearings as soon as spring pressure is applied, turn them over and you will see the retaining lip
Also they will give about 16 or 17mm  of extra preload at the minimum setting which will be too much, you need to shorten the spacer tubes.
So your photos are right way round then?
Also , what about the protruding bolt head? Doesn’t that foul the steel disc at the base of the original caps?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 07:40:12 pm by Starpeve »

Jako

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #83 on: August 27, 2020, 11:11:29 pm
You won't  use the steel disc. My photos are the right way if your caps are the same,  On mine  a bearing is pressed into the Aluminum disc , see photo,  install them with the lip down so the disc can't be forced off the bearing by the spring pounding it.

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #84 on: August 27, 2020, 11:29:51 pm
So your photos are right way round then?
Also , what about the protruding bolt head? Doesn’t that foul the steel disc at the base of the original caps?
If I flip mine over, the main shaft doesn’t fit the milled recess in the spacer, and the bolt is now flush but now won’t hold the spacer on! There’s a bearing, so it’s obviously meant to freewheel,but I can’t work em out.

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #85 on: August 27, 2020, 11:40:30 pm
You won't  use the steel disc. My photos are the right way if your caps are the same,  On mine  a bearing is pressed into the Aluminum disc , see photo,  install them with the lip down so the disc can't be forced off the bearing by the spring pounding it.
Sorry about last post, you responded while I was typing. If if flip the cap, the shaft doesn’t quite fit recess, other way round everything seems to fit, but unless supplied washer is over- diameter, to tighten bolt locks bearing, both ways. I’m wondering if shaft diam is oversized. If so, I may get a mate to turn it down a couple of thou and reduce the shaft length by 10 mm. Could you send a picture of yours assembled correctly from side on, if you don’t mind?
Edit- don’t bother with pics, I just worked out what you meant. Still locks the bearing though. I wonder if there should be a second smaller washer that sits on the bearing outer case to allow to spin without locking when bolt is tightened? Or a spacer?
Edit Edit- stupidity attack!! I had the adjuster pulled back so high the bearing was locking onto it. All makes  perfect sense now. Sorry for the bother! I will look into getting the length reduced if feasible though.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 12:21:17 am by Starpeve »

Jako

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #86 on: August 28, 2020, 12:56:15 am
Starpeve
I was just about to ask you if you had it screwed back too far, then seen your edit.
Don't reduce the length of body as you can't unscrew the adjuster any further without the O ring seal coming out at the top.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 01:00:29 am by Jako »

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #87 on: August 28, 2020, 09:40:58 am
Starpeve
I was just about to ask you if you had it screwed back too far, then seen your edit.
Don't reduce the length of body as you can't unscrew the adjuster any further without the O ring seal coming out at the top.
Ive given up on them anyway.Well made but not suitable.

goody59

• Scooter
Reply #88 on: August 28, 2020, 10:40:22 am
Got mine today. Did yours have Allen head bolts in the bottom holding it all together? Mine were loose.
These look better made than most Chinese ones I’ve seen. I’ll fit them tomorrow at zero preload as they’re already long, as has been stated previously.
Yes, exactly the same. Thread lock and tighten those allen head bolts is my suggestion as they will fall out. I feel I will need to trim my spacer down to end up with 35mm of rider sag up front as per Cookie's post rather than 30mm of rider sag. I am about 110kg in gear. You decide. I have ordered a cheap pipe cutter to get a nice straight cut of the spacer.

goody59

• Scooter
Reply #89 on: August 28, 2020, 10:49:44 am
You cap are assembled correctly in my opinion. Same as mine.   Same as TEC part or Hitchcocks. The spacer end fits uu in the turned section of the bottom of adjuster.

Jako

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #90 on: August 28, 2020, 11:24:57 am
You cap are assembled correctly in my opinion. Same as mine.   Same as TEC part or Hitchcocks. The spacer end fits uu in the turned section of the bottom of adjuster.

On these particular caps the bearing in the disc rests on the flank of the aluminum thread of the adjuster shaft , a  weak design for starters, if the disk is installed upside down there is nothing keeping it attached to the bearing , it will eventually be pounded  up and off the bearing. When  installed the correct way  the shoulder on the bottom prevents the disk moving past the bearing. Even when installed this way the full forces of the springs are pounding on the aluminum thread of the small shaft , this is why I chucked them in the scrap metal bin .
« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 11:55:15 am by Jako »

goody59

• Scooter
Reply #91 on: August 28, 2020, 12:10:24 pm
On these particular caps the bearing in the disc rests on the flank of the aluminum thread of the adjuster shaft , a  weak design for starters, if the disk is installed upside down there is nothing keeping it attached to the bearing , it will eventually be pounded  up and off the bearing. When  installed the correct way  the shoulder on the bottom prevents the disk moving past the bearing. Even when installed this way the full forces of the springs are pounding on the aluminum thread of the small shaft , this is why I chucked them in the scrap metal bin .
Fair enough, I see your point. They may be able to be improved or replaced with a solid additional spacer for some extra preload. I will consider the options.  I need to remove mine for spacer shortening too. will look at options in the meantime.

goody59

• Scooter
Reply #92 on: August 28, 2020, 01:23:29 pm
Just thinking here, maybe invert the turned cap, use a m20washer under cap or two if required to build up around the allen head cap screw then under the M20 washers place the original spring steel shim from the oem cap. The spacer tube would need to be shortened of course but I need to do that anyway. This would leave you with and adjustable preload cap with similar properties of a solid spacer or cap.

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #93 on: August 28, 2020, 01:32:18 pm
Fair enough, I see your point. They may be able to be improved or replaced with a solid additional spacer for some extra preload. I will consider the options.  I need to remove mine for spacer shortening too. will look at options in the meantime.

Just to say it out loud, for years people and suspension companies have been using PVC pipe for custom spacers.
Personally, I have them in my SV650 (5 years now) and have used them in full-on dirt racers. No problems.
I suggest that you don't cut your OEM spacers. Save them for the next owner.

goody59

• Scooter
Reply #94 on: August 28, 2020, 02:45:36 pm
Just to say it out loud, for years people and suspension companies have been using PVC pipe for custom spacers.
Personally, I have them in my SV650 (5 years now) and have used them in full-on dirt racers. No problems.
I suggest that you don't cut your OEM spacers. Save them for the next owner.

Wouldn't pvc get brittle and shatter? Oem spacer tubes would not be dear to purchase genuine I wouldn't think. 
At the moment with the adjustabe preload caps in as designed and with me in my winter ride gear and a tail bag on with stuff in it my front rider sag just measured now was at 30.5mm. 30% of the fronts as rider sag works out to be just over 35mm Cookie already posted. That (35 to 36mm of rider sag) is the aim to obtain now versus 30mm I first thought to be required I believe.   I have certainly taken the softness out of the front end, maybe a little too much.

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #95 on: August 29, 2020, 03:05:23 am
Unfortunately with mine, they could have been viable if the bottom diameter wasn’t so close to the spacer diameter. I suspect that constant battering could have driven the adjusters down the tube spacer. It’s a pity, as they seem well made and would have given me 14 mm of preload to start with, which was what I suspected I would have been happy with.

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #96 on: August 29, 2020, 04:19:27 am
Unfortunately with mine, they could have been viable if the bottom diameter wasn’t so close to the spacer diameter. I suspect that constant battering could have driven the adjusters down the tube spacer. It’s a pity, as they seem well made and would have given me 14 mm of preload to start with, which was what I suspected I would have been happy with.
If you replace that solid disc that goes between the spring and the cap with a washer there won't be any banging of the center bolt or rivet.

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #97 on: August 29, 2020, 07:47:10 am
If you replace that solid disc that goes between the spring and the cap with a washer there won't be any banging of the center bolt or rivet.
No the issue was the preloader base diameter. It needed another couple of mm at least to inspire confidence of not working it’s way down past the top of the spacer tube. Plus I’d be starting with 14 mm of preload. Pity they’re a nice looking unit.

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #98 on: August 29, 2020, 07:49:44 am
Yes to all of the above. Do you think the Hitchcock’s version would be any better. Or maybe go straight for the YSS ones?

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #99 on: August 29, 2020, 07:51:24 am
Just thinking here, maybe invert the turned cap, use a m20washer under cap or two if required to build up around the allen head cap screw then under the M20 washers place the original spring steel shim from the oem cap. The spacer tube would need to be shortened of course but I need to do that anyway. This would leave you with and adjustable preload cap with similar properties of a solid spacer or cap.
I thought about that but you’d end up starting with something like 22 mm preload at minimum.

goody59

• Scooter
Reply #100 on: August 29, 2020, 10:29:34 am
I thought about that but you’d end up starting with something like 22 mm preload at minimum.
And shorten spacer tube.

Jako

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #101 on: August 29, 2020, 11:52:19 am
Yes to all of the above. Do you think the Hitchcock’s version would be any better. Or maybe go straight for the YSS ones?

The Hitchcock caps appear to be the same caps with custom machined discs/ plugs that sit down inside the  spacer tubes therefore allowing the full length spacer  tubes to be retained , they also restrict adjustment from +2mm to +13mm  , which is about the max extra preload you can apply to the standard springs and still achieve sufficient static sag. See photo.
I suggest you just remove the discs from your adjustable caps , they are 8mm thick, and place them under  your original caps  giving a fixed 8mm of extra preload, I bet you will love the improvment despite the negative comment its sure to generate here.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 12:03:34 pm by Jako »

jimku

• Grand Gearhead
  • Nampa, Idaho USA
Reply #102 on: August 29, 2020, 06:17:47 pm
Graham gave me his email address on Facebook as well as great instructions on how to make payment via Paypal.  MY SPACERS ARE ON THE WAY!
Graham just emailed me this morning that my preload adjusters have been shipped to me.  Yippee!
2019 Interceptor. 

jimku

• Grand Gearhead
  • Nampa, Idaho USA
Reply #103 on: August 29, 2020, 06:21:07 pm
« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 06:23:17 pm by jimku »
2019 Interceptor. 

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #104 on: August 31, 2020, 05:39:02 am
The Hitchcock caps appear to be the same caps with custom machined discs/ plugs that sit down inside the  spacer tubes therefore allowing the full length spacer  tubes to be retained , they also restrict adjustment from +2mm to +13mm  , which is about the max extra preload you can apply to the standard springs and still achieve sufficient static sag. See photo.
I suggest you just remove the discs from your adjustable caps , they are 8mm thick, and place them under  your original caps  giving a fixed 8mm of extra preload, I bet you will love the improvment despite the negative comment its sure to generate here.
Yeah I thought about that but I decided to mull over some possibilities and I was running out of time and patience on the day. My forks are actually fairly firm now, really. With a zip tie on the tube, the difference between bike held upright unladen, and with me sitting in position as best I could unassisted( no bouncing to settle) is only about 15 mm. I know that’s a really rough guesstimate, I’ll have to do it properly, but at 80 kg, rear shocks on second to highest setting, the bike feels pretty well balanced.
I really wanted the adjustables to experiment a little.

LongMan

• Bulleteer
  • Germany - 2019 Interceptor
Reply #105 on: September 04, 2020, 07:13:19 pm
The Hitchcock caps appear to be the same caps with custom machined discs/ plugs that sit down inside the  spacer tubes therefore allowing the full length spacer  tubes to be retained , they also restrict adjustment from +2mm to +13mm  , which is about the max extra preload you can apply to the standard springs and still achieve sufficient static sag.

Mounted the Hitchcocks preload adjusters today. Maybe somebody is interested in my experience.
Note that this may not necessarily work this way on every 650 twin, but it did work perfectly on my bike. This is not a fitment instruction, Hitchcocks has an instruction PDF on their web site.

Prepare:
1. I put the bike on the main stand, and put additional support under the engine so the front wheel lifts up and there is no load on the front fork.
2. Unmounted handle bar.
3. Slightly loosened the 2 bolts of the top yoke that clamp the fork legs.
4. Removed original fork leg caps (use proper tools, these are made from aluminium).

Mounting:
1. The recessed part of the adjuster plug goes fully into the spacer tube, holding the tube nicely in place, see photos. The collar of the plug sits on the spacer tube. Because the collar is slightly thicker than the original washer, you get an additional preload of just under 1mm with the adjuster set to minimum (full up) position. That's close to same as original without preload adjuster.
2. Used a long 27mm socket with T-handle to screw in the preloaders. The fit and finish of the parts is flawless.
3. Fixed the preloaders with a torque wrench at 20Nm.
4. Fastened the top yoke bolts with 20Nm.
5. Mounted the handle bar back on and also fastened the screws with 20Nm. Note that there is enough room between adjuster screw and handle bar even with preloader set to minimum (full out) position, no handle bar raisers required.

Adjusting:
1. Hitchcocks recommends a bi-hex 12mm ring spanner. However that will not go over the adjuster screw on the Interceptor with a normal handle bar, this would only work on the CGT. Never mind, a standard 12mm spanner works perfectly fine, see photos.
2. Adjusted the preload to just above 7mm.
3. Set the rear shocks preload to 3rd notch.

Installation of the preload adjusters was a breeze - although I took my time, read the manual and took photos in between it took less than an hour.

So what difference does it make? All difference in the world from my point of view:
• That nasty jiggle on the front end is gone. With the original fork caps I always had the feeling the front wheel is constantly bouncing, even on new plain roads. This now feels tight, yet comfortable.

• The fork irons out small bumps and bad gully covers as if they weren't there.

• Nose diving when using the front brake is much reduced.

• Overall the suspension feels way more confidence inspiring, especially in bumpy back road corners.

• Bike goes round corners more easily.

• And one thing that surprised me: When riding over longitudinal grooves the bike does no longer lurch like a drunken sailor. You still feel the bike would like to follow the groove, but without that nasty behavior from the suspension. You can convince the bike easily to go straight ahead now. This are still the factory Pirelli SportsComp tires.

Let me know our thoughts.

mwmosser

• Illegitimi non carborundum
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Austin, TX, USA
Reply #106 on: September 04, 2020, 07:18:21 pm
Mounted the Hitchcocks preload adjusters today. Maybe somebody is interested in my experience.

Kudos for all this. The comprehensive writeup is much appreciated. What prompted you to go with 7mm front preload and rear preload at 3 clicks? Just your preferred setup?
2019 Interceptor 650 Mark Three

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #107 on: September 04, 2020, 07:23:58 pm
Note that this may not necessarily work this way on every 650 twin, but it did work perfectly on my bike. ...

Excellent, thanks for taking the time to do it.

LongMan

• Bulleteer
Reply #108 on: September 04, 2020, 07:53:19 pm
What prompted you to go with 7mm front preload and rear preload at 3 clicks? Just your preferred setup?

Trial and error ;) Initially I started with the middle setting of the fork preload adjuster (which is slightly less than 7mm) and the 4th notch of the rear shocks. Then put the spanner for the rear shocks and the 12mm spanner for the fork in my pocket and went for a test ride.
Turned out that 4th notch was a bit firm, the bike "kicked ass" a bit more than I like ;) So I set that back to 3rd notch. 4th notch would be an option when I ride with fully loaded panniers.
Front was vastly improved, but I had the feeling it could take even more preload. So I gave it another 1mm so it is at app 7,5mm now. With that setting it is just spot on for my weight. Now it is truly "on the plush side of firm" as uncle Stu stated in his Interceptor review.

Verified that settings on a 120km ride through small winding and bumpy backroads this afternoon. Funny: On the first half hour I was slightly confused. I was so used to fight against the bike in bumpy corners, that the new behavior felt plain wrong ;) After getting used to it it's great, I just had to learn to trust the bike.

mwmosser

• Grand Gearhead
  • Austin, TX, USA
Reply #109 on: September 04, 2020, 09:01:07 pm
Trial and error ;) Initially I started with the middle setting of the fork preload adjuster (which is slightly less than 7mm) and the 4th notch of the rear shocks. Then put the spanner for the rear shocks and the 12mm spanner for the fork in my pocket and went for a test ride.
Turned out that 4th notch was a bit firm, the bike "kicked ass" a bit more than I like ;) So I set that back to 3rd notch. 4th notch would be an option when I ride with fully loaded panniers.
Front was vastly improved, but I had the feeling it could take even more preload. So I gave it another 1mm so it is at app 7,5mm now. With that setting it is just spot on for my weight. Now it is truly "on the plush side of firm" as uncle Stu stated in his Interceptor review.

Verified that settings on a 120km ride through small winding and bumpy backroads this afternoon. Funny: On the first half hour I was slightly confused. I was so used to fight against the bike in bumpy corners, that the new behavior felt plain wrong ;) After getting used to it it's great, I just had to learn to trust the bike.

Thanks. More good info. I am running on second notch on the rear and it's perfect. Have not noticed huge issues with the front, which is why I haven't gone with anything like these yet. But they seem quite inexpensive with a big bang for the buck, so I might pull the trigger sometime in the future.

LongMan

• Bulleteer
Reply #110 on: September 05, 2020, 12:25:35 am
I am running on second notch on the rear and it's perfect. Have not noticed huge issues with the front, which is why I haven't gone with anything like these yet.

This much depends on the riders weight and the riding position. I'm 6ft6 and well over 100kg in full gear. Mounted a lower handle bar, which results in a more leaned forward riding position and puts more weight on the front end. Closer to a CGT than a stock Interceptor.

Apart from that I'm not so much in number crunching in regards to sag. I do not have the proper tools and a second person at hand to do an accurate measurement, and I guess that with that Hitchcocks preloaders and the stock rear shocks you can set the preload only inside reasonable limits anyway.
For me the main point is how the bike rides when I'm sitting on it. I only can evaluate this by riding it, and tuning the setup until I feel comfortable with it. Of course you should have basic knowledge what change in handling you can expected when adding or removing preload on the front and rear suspension, but that's not rocket science (although I believe they did it to the moon with a flight computer that had less calculating capacity than the Interceptor ECU ;)).
« Last Edit: September 05, 2020, 12:29:31 am by LongMan »

mwmosser

• Grand Gearhead
  • Austin, TX, USA
Reply #111 on: September 05, 2020, 01:49:46 am

For me the main point is how the bike rides when I'm sitting on it.

I agree with your philosophy. I am much shorter and somewhat lighter but think feel is the key “measurement” to follow.

Breezin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #112 on: September 05, 2020, 09:33:38 am
That's a great guide LongMan, thanks.
I'll be bookmarking this for when my Chinese adjusters finally arrive.

It'll be interesting to see if they work the same.

Bagonne

• Hudson Valley, NY
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #113 on: September 09, 2020, 06:46:14 pm
Sold on the Hitchcocks.  Thank you.

mwmosser

• Grand Gearhead
  • Austin, TX, USA
Reply #114 on: September 09, 2020, 06:49:54 pm
Sold on the Hitchcocks.  Thank you.

Same with me. Might put in my stocking for Christmas. :)

chollie

• Scooter
Reply #115 on: September 09, 2020, 07:40:53 pm
I ordered from Hitchcock's on Saturday, they came all the way across the pond and arrived here in Raleigh NC today.  Great service.  Will be getting these on the bike in the next few days.

sceptr

• Scooter
Reply #116 on: September 13, 2020, 03:08:44 am

I ordered the Chinese Yamaha R3 spacers and have them here on my desk, in the meantime I have scored a set of lightly used YSS Fork Upgrades so once they are here I'll post a comparison.

Bagonne

• Hudson Valley, NY
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #117 on: September 13, 2020, 02:15:32 pm
I ordered the Chinese Yamaha R3 spacers and have them here on my desk, in the meantime I have scored a set of lightly used YSS Fork Upgrades so once they are here I'll post a comparison.

Lightly used?   Does that say something?   Looking forward to knowing your experience

Toontje

• Grand Gearhead
  • Barcelona, Spain
Reply #118 on: September 13, 2020, 06:44:19 pm
Prepare:
1. I put the bike on the main stand, and put additional support under the engine so the front wheel lifts up and there is no load on the front fork.

Hoy would you go about doing this on a Conti which doesn’t have a center stand?
Ice Queen for sale in Spain (Was: Riding my Ice Queen through Spain).

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #119 on: September 13, 2020, 07:09:31 pm
Hoy would you go about doing this on a Conti which doesn’t have a center stand?

Essentially, you'll get it up on a block of wood. (or two blocks)
- How you get it there will depend on your circumstance.
- One of many ways is two blocks which when your bike is on the side stand the block(A) will just slide under the right side to the near centerline, at least past the right frame rail.
- Now with block(B) and you on the left side, tip /lean the bike upright so it fetches on blk A. Then slide blk B under the left side with your foot.
For the first time you might want a "spotter" but it isn't that dramatic.
HTH

Bagonne

• Hudson Valley, NY
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #120 on: September 14, 2020, 11:32:52 pm
Hitchcock's came today to NY.  Ordered Thursday.  Install took 10 minutes.  It improved the front action noticeably and  still have some adjustment left. Happy about it

Toontje

• Grand Gearhead
  • Barcelona, Spain
Reply #121 on: September 15, 2020, 03:38:20 pm
Essentially, you'll get it up on a block of wood. (or two blocks)
- How you get it there will depend on your circumstance.
- One of many ways is two blocks which when your bike is on the side stand the block(A) will just slide under the right side to the near centerline, at least past the right frame rail.
- Now with block(B) and you on the left side, tip /lean the bike upright so it fetches on blk A. Then slide blk B under the left side with your foot.
For the first time you might want a "spotter" but it isn't that dramatic.
HTH

Makes sense.

Toontje

• Grand Gearhead
  • Barcelona, Spain
Reply #122 on: September 20, 2020, 08:22:21 pm
https://youtu.be/miDjp4H205U

Preload adjusters installed, not knowing what to expect from them, but still a good upgrade. 😉

Toontje

• Grand Gearhead
  • Barcelona, Spain
Reply #123 on: September 21, 2020, 07:32:36 am
So, 1) are they any different? and, 2) if they are a similar as they look, will they actually fit the Interceptor without risers?

If these (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUTUV2H9KCA) are the TEC ones then i think they are the same as the $25 Chinese ones. The main complaint the Chinese ones have is that you scuff them if you don't use paper or rubber between the key and the adjuster. Look what is happening at these ones at 7:45 into the video. The moment he puts the key on to tighten the springs the paint is scuffed. Same as the Chinese ones.
Any ideas?

jimku

• Grand Gearhead
  • Nampa, Idaho USA
Reply #124 on: September 21, 2020, 07:50:15 am
If these (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUTUV2H9KCA) are the TEC ones then i think they are the same as the $25 Chinese ones. The main complaint the Chinese ones have is that you scuff them if you don't use paper or rubber between the key and the adjuster. Look what is happening at these ones at 7:45 into the video. The moment he puts the key on to tighten the springs the paint is scuffed. Same as the Chinese ones.
Any ideas?
Yeah ... don't use them.  Use these instead.
I weigh 240lbs and they work a treat for me.
I just contacted Graham on the Facebook link in the first vid, he told me how to get them ordered and get him paid via Paypal, he sent them to me here in the U.S.A. no problem.  Installation is a snap.
https://youtu.be/xC3fSgAK4lc
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 07:58:21 am by jimku »
2019 Interceptor. 

Bagonne

• Hudson Valley, NY
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #125 on: September 21, 2020, 02:39:49 pm
They are my only experience with such a part but I definitely appreciate the adjustment option on the Hitchcock's unit.  nice finish as well.

150 miles yesterday on them, the ride is much improved over stock.  The uneasiness is much reduced in that the front slack seem to be removed, seems to balance better with the rear.  Oddly the bike seems more balanced and in sync with itself.  I can go a bit softer on damping from and back, too.  Bumps are absorbed with less harshness and cornering is less jerky. 

I have no way to know if this is compensating for my poor riding skill but I feel much better in the saddle.

mwmosser

• Grand Gearhead
  • Austin, TX, USA
Reply #126 on: September 21, 2020, 05:03:22 pm
They are my only experience with such a part but I definitely appreciate the adjustment option on the Hitchcock's unit.  nice finish as well.

150 miles yesterday on them, the ride is much improved over stock.  The uneasiness is much reduced in that the front slack seem to be removed, seems to balance better with the rear.  Oddly the bike seems more balanced and in sync with itself.  I can go a bit softer on damping from and back, too.  Bumps are absorbed with less harshness and cornering is less jerky. 

I have no way to know if this is compensating for my poor riding skill but I feel much better in the saddle.

I feel like this was written by my future self. I'm putting in my order for the Hitchcock preload adjusters today :)

Bagonne

• Hudson Valley, NY
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #127 on: September 21, 2020, 05:31:22 pm
I feel like this was written by my future self. I'm putting in my order for the Hitchcock preload adjusters today :)

At the very least it will tighten up your ride a bit, soften the blows.  It's also a good gauge to whether you want to pursue further suspension upgrades

alex12342

• Scooter
Reply #128 on: September 21, 2020, 06:10:21 pm
After reading through this post I too ordered the hitchcocks preload adjusters. I ordered them last week Tuesday at 2am (est) and they came in Thursday at about 215pm, very fast shipping considering I live in the states! I put them on Saturday and after driving around for about 115 miles my current setup is 7mm on the fork preload and the 2nd notch on the rear. I may take the front down to 6mm but otherwise I am very happy with them!

mwmosser

• Grand Gearhead
  • Austin, TX, USA
Reply #129 on: September 25, 2020, 07:57:19 pm
I just fitted the Hitchcock pre-load adjusters. Had the Interceptor on the center stand per the instructions, but I guess the weight shifted forward at an inopportune time and all of a sudden my triple tree was sitting more or less down on the fork brace (an exaggeration, but not much of one). Following @NVDucati's advice, I got my car jack and a board and jacked up enough on the frame rails to take the weight back off the front. Fork adjusters went on smoothly, and are adjusted to 2nd line from all the way in.

Q: did I mess anything up when the fork sliders took the weight of the front end? I measured and they're evenly extended now.

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #130 on: September 25, 2020, 08:23:16 pm

Q: did I mess anything up when the fork sliders took the weight of the front end? I measured and they're evenly extended now.

Naw. I guess you could look to see if the headlight mounts got booted upward. But likely, naw.

mwmosser

• Grand Gearhead
  • Austin, TX, USA
Reply #131 on: September 25, 2020, 09:29:04 pm
Naw. I guess you could look to see if the headlight mounts got booted upward. But likely, naw.

My thinking too. Looks ok for me. First ride will be the kicker.

Also changed out the levers. SO much better. Photos soon.

mwmosser

• Grand Gearhead
  • Austin, TX, USA
Reply #132 on: September 25, 2020, 11:02:39 pm
My thinking too. Looks ok for me. First ride will be the kicker.

Also changed out the levers. SO much better. Photos soon.

Back from a quick ride around the block. Nothing fell off and nothing bound up, so that's a win for me. I have my levers adjusted to number 2 for each clutch and brake (smaller hands). And the forks set at second line from all in. When I get out on Texas bumpy backroads I'll decide if I have to adjust again or not.

Speaking of adjusting, a 12mm ring spanner fits over the adjusters, but only when the bars are removed. How are you all adjusting when the bars are on? I made a minor adjustment with a pair of the "soft grip" pliers I like a lot, and that worked well. Any other suggestions?

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #133 on: September 26, 2020, 02:16:37 am

Speaking of adjusting, a 12mm ring spanner fits over the adjusters, but only when the bars are removed. How are you all adjusting when the bars are on? I made a minor adjustment with a pair of the "soft grip" pliers I like a lot, and that worked well. Any other suggestions?

I use a bicycle wrench. They are open end and very thin and flat and short and don't take up much space.

mwmosser

• Grand Gearhead
  • Austin, TX, USA
Reply #134 on: September 26, 2020, 05:58:01 pm
I use a bicycle wrench. They are open end and very thin and flat and short and don't take up much space.

Thanks. Found a 12mm hanging on my pegboard that is thin but not as thin as a bicycle wrench. Works well enough, and so even though ordered up a set of thin wrenches, I'll likely return them.

mwmosser

• Grand Gearhead
  • Austin, TX, USA
Reply #135 on: September 27, 2020, 10:36:12 pm
OK. Per the photo attached, my preload spacers are set at the third line from the top. This measures 8.6 mm. The fitting guide notes that these preload adjusters range from 2mm to 13mm.

I assume that fully out adds 2mm, and fully in adds 13mm of preload.

So the question: with 8.6mm showing still out, how much preload did I add? 13mm - 8.6 = 4.4mm? Or is it really 6.4mm, since even fully out there is already 2mm of preload added just by replacing the OEMs with these? Or is it neither of these?

I'm overthinking this I know. But I'd like to get an answer on it.

P.S. yes, there are gouges already on these very nice preload adjusters. I did not wrap the jaws of my pliers. Boo me. But in fairness this is an EXTREME closeup and they're hardly noticeable to the naked eye.

Toontje

• Grand Gearhead
  • Barcelona, Spain
Reply #136 on: September 28, 2020, 10:15:52 am
Yes, you are overthinking it. Turn them out completely and measure. That's 2mm added preload. Every mm you screw them in adds to those 2mm.

mwmosser

• Grand Gearhead
  • Austin, TX, USA
Reply #137 on: September 28, 2020, 03:20:48 pm
Yes, you are overthinking it. Turn them out completely and measure. That's 2mm added preload. Every mm you screw them in adds to those 2mm.

As I figured. I tend to unnecessarily complicate things sometimes. Thanks :) 

Bagonne

• Hudson Valley, NY
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #138 on: September 29, 2020, 12:23:56 am
As I figured. I tend to unnecessarily complicate things sometimes. Thanks :)

I was just going by feel. I think I have maybe 5mm sticking out the top. 2.5 lines. Works well.  Thinking about going to the top of the rear, I'm at one lower than top now.

I realize there are sag specs to follow but things tend to work beat by feel fir me

Jako

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #139 on: September 29, 2020, 01:38:09 am

I realize there are sag specs to follow but things tend to work beat by feel fir me

I agree,  and with progressive springs like the 650's have I find the general guidelines  for sag seen on those youtube video's ( race bikes)  don't really apply,  I spent a lot of time and effort trying to achieve those specs and retain the handling and steering I was confident with.  In the end I just went with my feel and found the sweet spot.

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #140 on: September 29, 2020, 04:30:50 am
I agree,  and with progressive springs like the 650's have I find the general guidelines  for sag seen on those youtube video's ( race bikes)  don't really apply,  I spent a lot of time and effort trying to achieve those specs and retain the handling and steering I was confident with.  In the end I just went with my feel and found the sweet spot.

Yeah that SAG thing.
Jako you (and others) have it right. Put in the work.
SAG is not _ never was _ a specification. It was ever, at best, a memory, observational, starting point. Yet it has taken on this grail entity status. We hope for a singular formula that will sweeten our complex and variable dreams.
And don't get me started on the Utub stars and local shop gurus. Sorry. I'll shut up .... grumbling off to the park to feed squirrels.

Toontje

• Grand Gearhead
  • Barcelona, Spain
Reply #141 on: September 29, 2020, 12:09:05 pm
I spent a lot of time and effort trying to achieve those specs and retain the handling and steering I was confident with.  In the end I just went with my feel and found the sweet spot.
Can you explain what you "feel" in the handling that makes you tighten or loosen up the front suspension? I understand a harsh or sloppy ride, but that has to do with comfort, not with handling. I am interested in what you feel when you are trying to improve the handling.

Toontje

• Grand Gearhead
  • Barcelona, Spain
Reply #142 on: September 29, 2020, 12:22:14 pm

Saw a video on Youtube of a guy who, before mounting the preload adjusters, took off the bolt and refitted it with thread locker to prevent the bolt coming loose over time and cause damage to the forks internals. Since we don't know the quality of the Chinese stuff, sounds like a good idea, no?

goody59

• Scooter
Reply #143 on: September 29, 2020, 01:07:51 pm
I did exactly that on my Chinese adjusters. Red loctite.

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #144 on: September 29, 2020, 02:26:25 pm
Can you explain what you "feel" in the handling that makes you tighten or loosen up the front suspension? I understand a harsh or sloppy ride, but that has to do with comfort, not with handling. I am interested in what you feel when you are trying to improve the handling.

Excellent question. The mission of a suspension system comes in stages.
The first stage is to get the front from hurting your wrist when you hit a hole or bump. The the rear should not butt-slap you off the seat. That comes pretty easily right out of the box.
Next stage is to comply with the various road surfaces to maintain tire contact with that road. That gets more difficult during a lean (corner) because there is no longer 100% down force. You hear the term about a tire "walking" to the outside of a turn. It is micro sized grip, release, re-grip of traction. Part tire / part suspension.
- But I think your question is about the "feel" and the fine tuning. I would describe it this way. When you are leaned over in a sweeper and on a pretty good road ... the slight up and down of the road makes the bike feel like jello.
Nothing wild that is about to slam you. Just that wallow. That is where the fine tuning starts. You want to work that out of it - without - impinging on stage 1 or2.

mwmosser

• Grand Gearhead
  • Austin, TX, USA
Reply #145 on: September 29, 2020, 02:54:30 pm

You beat me to it. I'm happy to go by feel and not numbers (as I'm of a mind to agree with @NVDucati). I'm just wondering what I'm supposed to feel as well. I can't tell if the forks as I have them adjusted are better, worse, or the same as stock. I can BELIEVE they feel any of these things. I posted this in another thread talking about my first ride with them:

"Had a chance to test the fork preload adjusters as well. TBH, I can't quite tell if they've made a difference or not. I have set at three lines out (waiting for my calipers to arrive today from Amazon so I can give more accurate measurements). Didn't "soak" up bumps as I might have thought, but wasn't any harsher either. And the front actually felt a bit more squirrely today, due to a combination of a little wet pavement and grooves everywhere. One section of two-lane highway has grooves leftover from a resurface project, and one long and wide groove in the middle of the smaller ones. Pucker factor as the bike tracked to the big groove as if it were magnetic. But I relaxed on the bars and let the bike take its own route through. Still not my favorite feeling, that's for sure."

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #146 on: September 29, 2020, 04:18:55 pm
...  I'm just wondering what I'm supposed to feel as well. I can't tell if the forks as I have them adjusted are better, worse, or the same as stock.
"Had a chance to test the fork preload adjusters as well. TBH, I can't quite tell if they've made a difference or not.

Everybody has this issue without regard to experience or training or hours of youtube.
There are several threads about it on this forum and others. It isn't because the RE650 suspension is SO bad. It is because the RE650 geometry is SO good. We can all feel it in our bones. We have the carrot in our lips but can't quite get it in our teeth. I guess testing and evaluating deserves a separate thread. If the electricity stays on (local fires) I'll start one with the hopes that others will take over with tips and questions.

Jako

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #147 on: September 29, 2020, 05:08:27 pm

NVDucati summed it up  well.  In my case I fitted  progressive springs as the suspension guy I purchased from talked me into progressive over linear for road use, he was adamant linear are for race track  and progressive  for street and touring. Once I installed  them and set sag  to youtube guidelines  the  front felt  light and had no feel of the road when cornering . From  a little previous experience I knew the front needed lowering or the rear lifting , so I added  a little preload to the rear and  increased front sag by shortening the spacer tubes  until  I  could feel the front tire gripping and giving feedback in turns. Then on fast sweepers above about 120 kph I could feel a slow side to side wobble , or maybe the wallow NVDucati mentioned. Over time with trial and error of  preloads and forktube height  I got that dialed in real nice where I have  good feel of grip, good easy  turn in  and stability on the fast sweepers .
 The new springs and shocks manage any surface I've  encouned with ease,  very confidence  inspiring even with luggage  onboard. 

« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 05:17:36 pm by Jako »

mwmosser

• Grand Gearhead
  • Austin, TX, USA
Reply #148 on: September 29, 2020, 05:09:45 pm
Everybody has this issue without regard to experience or training or hours of youtube.
There are several threads about it on this forum and others. It isn't because the RE650 suspension is SO bad. It is because the RE650 geometry is SO good. We can all feel it in our bones. We have the carrot in our lips but can't quite get it in our teeth. I guess testing and evaluating deserves a separate thread. If the electricity stays on (local fires) I'll start one with the hopes that others will take over with tips and questions.

Totally understand that. The geometry for my (personal) frame size (5'8" 160lbs without gear, 170lbs with gear) works really well. Only after two solid hours in the seat did my lower back feel a little twinge, and that's mostly because I have terrible posture and I spend multiple hours a day in Zoom classes in my non-too-great home office chair. Plus I have bad wrists from all the typing I've done over decades (believe me, I know how idiotic that sounds to those of you with "real" jobs, but it's a real thing). So alleviating some of the "bang" when my bike hits a decent-size bump is what I was after from the pre-load adjusters. As far as handling, I'll take any improvement I can get, but I don't push the bike as hard as many of you do so I don't need to go the full emulator/Öhlins route.

Good luck with the fires in your area. I hope you don't have to evacuate.

mwmosser

• Grand Gearhead
  • Austin, TX, USA
Reply #149 on: September 29, 2020, 05:10:58 pm
NVDucati summed it up  well.  In my case I fitted  progressive springs as the suspension guy I purchased from talked me into progressive over linear for road use, he was adamant linear are for race track  and progressive  for street and touring. Once I installed  them and set sag  to youtube guidelines  the  front felt to light and had no feel of the road when cornering . From  a little previous experience I knew the front needed lowering or the rear lifting , so I added  a little preload to the rear and  increased front sag by shortening the spacer tubes  until  I  could feel the front tire gripping and giving feedback in turns. Then on fast sweepers above about 120 kph I could feel a slow side to side wobble , or maybe the wallow NVDucati mentioned. Over time with trial and error of  preloads and forktube height  I got that dialed in real nice where I have  good feel of grip, good easy  turn in , and stability on the fast sweepers .
 The new springs and shocks manage any surface I've  encouned with ease,  very confidence  conspiring., even with luggage  onboard. 

Don't we have progressive springs as OEM equipment?

Jako

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #150 on: September 29, 2020, 05:25:37 pm
Don't we have progressive springs as OEM equipment?

Yes.
 I needed heavier  springs for my weight and went for progressive again , most here have gone to linear when upgrading.

mwmosser

• Grand Gearhead
  • Austin, TX, USA
Reply #151 on: September 29, 2020, 05:27:29 pm
Yes.
 I needed heavier  springs for my weight and went for progressive again , most here have gone to linear when upgrading.

Ah yes, I get it. Thanks for the clarification.

Bagonne

• Hudson Valley, NY
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #152 on: September 29, 2020, 10:59:04 pm

I would get a lot from a new thread on this subject.

mwmosser

• Grand Gearhead
  • Austin, TX, USA
Reply #153 on: September 29, 2020, 11:02:48 pm
Yes let’s start a new thread not specifically on preload adjusters.

Toontje

• Grand Gearhead
  • Barcelona, Spain
Reply #154 on: October 10, 2020, 05:32:03 pm
Si yesterday i received these ones: https://www.ebay.com/itm/264759142571
One of the hex bolts on the bottom of the adjuster was loose so i bought some thread lock and wanted to tighten the hex bolt with the thread lock in place.
On one adjuster that went fine, the other one, the one with the loose hex bolt, i was not able to tighten the hex bolt again. After just a VERY SLIGHT bit of force i immediately destroyed the thread in the adapter. Let's say that either the production tolerance or the quality of the material is right where it is supposed to be for a pair of adjusters of $15.
Binned them.

Panard

• Scooter
Reply #155 on: October 20, 2020, 12:19:04 am
Do you have pictures? Was it necessary to remove handlebars?

Gadibob

• Neophyte
Reply #156 on: May 25, 2023, 09:51:09 am
While I appreciate why others are happy to go down the Ohlins, YSS etc. route, spending that kind of moolah on an RE isn't my cup of tea. But, on the basis of previous discussions here, I have been looking at fitting fork preload adjusters. I do think the front can get a bit queasy at higher speeds, so it would be worth the time and money looking at a simple fix. I might follow up later with changing springs, but this I think may be a quick and easy solution that goes far enough for my purposes.

(The fact that I don't have a workshop or garage is a factor here, and is one of the reasons I bought a new bike with a warranty rather than an older Japanese or even BMW.)

Anyhow, I think it was Roshiba who said that a 41mm adjuster for a Yamaha would fit the Interceptor (so probably also the Continental). I've been looking around, and I found options that basically boil down to Hitchcock's, TEC, and China. In the light of the discussion recently as to whether TEC made their own parts, I thought it would be good to look at them here. I haven't been able to resize images -- sorry.

Hitchcock's - https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/40326
£47.50. No special notes about fitting.

TEC - https://www.tecbikeparts.com/product/tec-fork-top-pre-load-adjusters-for-royal-enfield-41mm-forks/ £49.99.
Note that TEC say they have made these themselves. They also say that they won't fit an Interceptor without bar risers.

Ali Express, Wish, Ebay etc: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32879103123.html I've ordered these for €14. I may get them this year...

Hi,

can you say anything about the China preload adjusters you bought?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32879103123.html

is it ok and safe to use?

thank you!

Kranis

• Squid on a
  • Bulleteer
Reply #157 on: May 25, 2023, 01:34:16 pm
Yes let’s start a new thread not specifically on preload adjusters.

I created a thread to ask a question about this recently, not being aware of this thread (My bad). My position now is probably "yes, let's make a new thread that is specifically NOT about preload". The ONLY thing is changes is the vertical zero (sag) and that can be set by rule of thumb at about a 1/3 of the stroke (with rider) or empirically by observing the actual stroke by applying the nifty trick of zip ties. For the dynamic behaviour or the suspension, it does nothing until you bottom out. I have done too little experiments myself to bring noteworthy empirical evidence, but based on what I have read, my suspicions are directed towards the stock fluid, being too light for smooth roads and too thick for bumpy ones. Given the rave reviews of the YSS kit without drilling the damper rod, changing the spring and/or the fluid weight seem worthwhile changes in and of themselves, unless it was all placebo. What should have been done long ago is for somebody (else preferably...) to measure the viscosity and density of the stock fluid to get a benchmark.

/Kranis
I don't care what you say. I'm keeping my cans.

Breezin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #158 on: May 25, 2023, 02:23:36 pm
Hi,

can you say anything about the China preload adjusters you bought?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32879103123.html

is it ok and safe to use?

thank you!
If I remember rightly,  they were good quality but wouldn't fit the Interceptor without bar risers. 

So I just put in a couple of washers each side instead, which made a noticeable improvement.